Scuba diving 100 years from now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suggest all read the great Jules Verne's epic novel "20, 000 leagues under the sea."

Over 100 years ago he wrote this SciFi novel about life under the sea where undersea living, farming and hunting was common place and much of the food was derived from the sea or byproducts of the sea.

They purportedly dove the Rouquayrol-Denarouse Aerphore SCUBA unit to 900 feet for great lengths of time...At that time it was SciFi today it is almost a reality--but not quite.

SCUBA using the Cousteau/Gagnon unit was in France in 1943 was imported to the US in 1948, only 67 years ago and look at the strides that has been made in recreational diving. How many can recall in your diving life time when there was training courses, no thermal protection, SPGs , no floatation devices, no repetitive diving?

I suspect there will be great advances in equipment , but the Mark I human body will remain the same with the same restrictions of depth and time.

SDM

Better comms. like an eye-activated language screen on the corner of your mask so you can "text" your buddy. Or some way to talk without a full-face mask?

Whatever the latest GPS-gizmo is, we will all have it, and can track others and be tracked. No more "lost" or left-behind divers.

Regulators I expect will be the same in principle, but rebreathers probably will become more common.

Some things will stay the same:

"Should I take AOW right away, or wait?"

"Snorkel or no snorkel"?

;-)

I suspect there will be great advances in equipment...

I remain cautiously optimistic about this point, but I wonder WHO is going to be behind such advances? Given that 99.9% of divers are still diving essentially the same demand-valve regulator that J.Y. Cousteau used in 1943... I'm not sure the scuba industry (that's done precious little in terms of innovation over the past 75 years) is going to wake up and do much over the next 100.

All Innovations Are Not Created Equal

Ray+Purkis+Raymond+Purkis+Montgomery+NJ+Innovation_Types.png

Helium will be either way too expensive or depleted unless they manage to find a cheap way to extract it from other sources(ie the moon) so tech diving will be out or require significant changes.

A few years ago in a similar thread I predicted that the time would come when rebreather technology would eliminate what we think of as scuba today.

I recently spent a week getting my trimix instructor rating, diving to depths from 200-300 feet on open circuit. I saw other divers doing similar or more serious dives. We were the only ones who were not on rebreathers, and I had to look with envy at how much less gear they had and (especially) how much less helium they needed. Maybe that era is already close to being upon us.

Based on the last 67 years probably nothing too dramatic. There are bound to be advances in materials and tuning of designs but the fundamentals of open circuit have been stable for a long long time.

Rebreathers will continue to evolve and if the economies of scale get there they will become safer and more appealing.

I think it's safe to say that there is darned little reason to expect the flora and fauna to go anywhere but downhill. There will (is) be shifting of species as they follow the environment.

Non buoyant thermal protection will continue to be the holly grail. Global warming may end the quest.

Any sort of ultra high pressure cylinders and unlikely due to many laws of physics and the infrastructure that would be needed to fill them. Getting 3500 PSI can be an adventure and that has been in common service how long? Lightweight cylinders are of little value since something has to sink that container of air.

I won't be around to verify.

Pete

Reactions: RJP
Triton Artificial Gill, rebreathers become standard rec gear, real time monitoring of oxygen and nitrogen in the body

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light and battery technology will be significantly advanced due to the rapid pace that advances are made in that area topside. I can imagine a light the size of a AA battery that last days and more light output than anything today. Possible integration in your mask or gloves due to the size.

Advances in safety equipment such as location devices and communications

Divers that are over one hundred years old and still going strong

Hopefully a better understanding if dive science

...............................diving over snow white fishless/animaless coral(won't even call them reefs)...........

Back
Top Bottom