Scuba diving 100 years from now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kafkaland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The Washngton Post just ran an article on how artists hundred years ago envisioned we'd live today. And a surprising number of paintings involved scuba diving: we ride giant seahorses as our underwater mounts, fish for seagulls with lures that we let float to the surface, and pull the underwater once they bite, we play underwater croquet and have races on fishback, and can catch a whale bus to get around faster.

What people in 1900 thought the year 2000 would look like - The Washington Post
(the diving pictures are at the bottom if the article)

Now, how do you think scuba diving will look like in hundred years from now - and do you think your predictions are better than those?

Lots of rebreathers.
Not too many fish to look at.
Not too much Coral either.

Chug
Saw the worst coral bleaching in my 39 year diving life today in SoFla.

SB debating which destination is better, the Manhattan or the Miami archipelago.

Biggest changes will be in Tech and hard hat diving. With luck somebody will be diving a Martian aquifer.

My great-great-grand kids are all set. Beachfront property in Missouri...

I hope the equipment weighs less.

Nah in 100 years the Outer Banks is going to have the greatest golf courses in North America, located at 50+ feet above sea level so they are pretty safe from hurricanes. Of course, diving in the great lakes was ended by the glaciers, but that's just a return to the most common situation for the past million years or so....

But yeah, lots of rebreathers. Very high density batteries make a lot of interesting things possible too.

Perhaps more fish than ever since the whole world will be one big marine preserve (I believe protecting fish populations was/is the main reason for them). So, almost as many shells as there are now for collectors to collect and nowhere to do it legally.

I expect there won't be any recreational diving, in 100 years. Too risky for the global healthcare collective to cover.

I expect there won't be any recreational diving, in 100 years. Too risky for the global healthcare collective to cover.
That'd only be in areas without single payer healthcare. Too expensive due to excessively high insurance premiums.

Back
Top Bottom