Scuba Shack's Boat Get Wet Sinks in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The M/V "Get Wet" was fitted with a hatch on a hinge on the after deck. When the transom flooded, the hatch swung up, pinning the door to the cabin shut, and trapping Aimee and Amit inside.

I thought I had read something like that in one of the articles or accounts, but then when I went back to find it I never could (I didn't want to mention it here in the thread without being able to at least find where I had read it).

I wish I could better visualize the "cabin door" in my own mind. From the photo in post #162 it's not clear how it's set up (the photo makes it look more like just an open-backed affair, more like the Burpee 27). Not that one couldn't get trapped anyway, even with no cabin/door -- I'm not implying that, as I can imagine many ways for that to happen in the chaos of a sinking.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone -

I've been waiting on the sidelines, reading everything about this tragic, horrific accident for the last few weeks. I have a few thoughts as we try to move on.

First, and most importantly, thoughts and prayers out to Aimee's family. What a horrible thing to go through. I am thinking of you all. Amit, your family as well. Keep on fighting.

I was on this exact boat last May and then tried to dive with the shop in early December as well (did not happen). So this hits pretty close to home. Just can't believe it. I looked at the video I shot that day I was on the boat and the last shot I have before I get out of the water is a shot of "GET WET" written on the back of the boat. Chilling. A young captain helps me get onboard. If he's the same young captain as the one who was in charge of the boat during the accident, I am not sure. Probably a 50-50 chance. Just very eerie.

Here are some other thoughts I have. Would be interested to hear other people's feedback.

*I read someplace in this thread that a shop that advertises a 6-pack boat does not have to have its boat inspected by the Coast Guard (or something along these lines). If this is true, no way I am ever going back on a 6-pack boat. Sorry.

*The Keys are filled with hundreds -- literally -- of dive shops. The Key Largo Scuba Shack was brand new. It got great reviews (which is why I visited them last May and gave them my money). I know this type of thing could happen to any dive shop in The Keys. In my opinion all the shops are equally as good. Conch Republic, Silent World, Rainbow Reef -- all great. I am going to stick to one of the big shops that have been around for years from now on like the ones mentioned before. I could catch some flack for this but it's how I feel now. Not saying the KLSS was inexerienced because it was so new, but these other shops have been around the block so to speak. I probably feel more comfortable wth a dive shop around for 15 years, than say, 15 months.

*I am going to take a look at the boats I am going on as well. The Get Wet was not a very impressive boat when I was on it last May. That might have nothing to do with what happened ... but I am just saying. And a few reports mentioned that it was choppy that day. Again, not sure if that played into anything. But I do know that other shops have larger, theoretically more sturdier boats. Just something else I will be weighing in my head.

Hello Everyone -

Here are some other thoughts I have. Would be interested to hear other people's feedback.

*I read someplace in this thread that a shop that advertises a 6-pack boat does not have to have its boat inspected by the Coast Guard (or something along these lines). If this is true, no way I am ever going back on a 6-pack boat. Sorry.

*The Keys are filled with hundreds -- literally -- of dive shops. The Key Largo Scuba Shack was brand new. It got great reviews (which is why I visited them last May and gave them my money). I know this type of thing could happen to any dive shop in The Keys. In my opinion all the shops are equally as good. Conch Republic, Silent World, Rainbow Reef -- all great. I am going to stick to one of the big shops that have been around for years from now on like the ones mentioned before. I could catch some flack for this but it's how I feel now. Not saying the KLSS was inexerienced because it was so new, but these other shops have been around the block so to speak. I probably feel more comfortable wth a dive shop around for 15 years, than say, 15 months.

*I am going to take a look at the boats I am going on as well. The Get Wet was not a very impressive boat when I was on it last May. That might have nothing to do with what happened ... but I am just saying. And a few reports mentioned that it was choppy that day. Again, not sure if that played into anything. But I do know that other shops have larger, theoretically more sturdier boats. Just something else I will be weighing in my head.

I think it would be a mistake to look at that CG inspection sticker as gospel that a vessel is safe. The inspection is a snapshot in time. The inspector comes on once per year and checks that the vessel is in compliance with written regulations in effect at that time. They come back the following year. A well run 6 pack is beholden to the insurance company to maintain the vessel at a certain level of compliance ALL the time. You have to schedule a CG inspection, the insurance surveyor can show up any time.

I think you'd be much better off to become a savvy diver. Prior to booking a trip, ask how many issues of license the captain has. We're proud that we're Captains on our (2nd, 3rd, 4th, whatever) issue. if it's the captain's first issue, maybe he isn't that experienced. Ask for the latest air test. If it's over 6 months old or the shop doesn't want to provide it, keep walking. Does the compressor have a CO monitor? If the answer is no, keep walking. If the shop can't afford $450 for a CO Clear, they aren't really in business. Ask for their limits of liability for Hull, P&I, and in-water liability. Hull is like collision on a car. P&I (Protection and Indemnity) is like Liability. The biggie, in-water liability, is where you are protected from the boat doing something stupid like leaving you behind. It's what covers the divers when they are not on the boat. For an insurer to grant a in-water policy, the operator must have their crap together and meet certain insurance company requirements. They check that the operator does these things. Look at the boat. Hey, we all have chipped paint at the end of the season, but is the fiberglass damaged? Are the rub rails shattered? When you see the engine hatch up, is there a smoking pile of rust in the bilge? Are the life jackets where you can readily get to them? Are they stowed or used as pillows? Have folks been stubbing out their smokes on the life ring? Is the dock safe or does the crew say "watch your step"? (I'm guilty of that one) Does the boat/Captain/DM give you a good competent feeling when you step on, or do you kind of look around sideways when you look in the cockpit with a queasy feeling?

Quiescence Diving built their reputation and a 35 year business in the keys running 6-pack boats. I'd compare any of their boats with any inspected vessel anywhere in the keys. I'm sure there are other reputable 6 pack operators, as well as there being very scary inspected vessels too. Remember, most keys boats are dual certified, meaning that if there aren't 7 payers on the boat, it can be operated as a 6 pack too.

Ask for their limits of liability for Hull, P&I, and in-water liability. Hull is like collision on a car. P&I (Protection and Indemnity) is like Liability. The biggie, in-water liability, is where you are protected from the boat doing something stupid like leaving you behind. It's what covers the divers when they are not on the boat. For an insurer to grant a in-water policy, the operator must have their crap together and meet certain insurance company requirements. Have folks been stubbing out their smokes on the life ring? Is the dock safe or does the crew say "watch your step"?

Let me first say, I am a recreational boater, but even if I had a commercial operation, my answer would be the same. Frankly Capt. if someone begins to ask me for specific information about my insurance and liability limits, I would never allow them to board my boat. Sorry, trips over. Some how I just get the feeling of an ulterior motive. And BTW, smokers are not welcome either. If your are stupid enough to smoke, then you are clearly not smart enough to strike an open flame then walk around as an ignition source on my vessel.

Let me first say, I am a recreational boater, but even if I had a commercial operation, my answer would be the same. Frankly Capt. if someone begins to ask me for specific information about my insurance and liability limits, I would never allow them to board my boat. Sorry, trips over. Some how I just get the feeling of an ulterior motive. And BTW, smokers are not welcome either. If your are stupid enough to smoke, then you are clearly not smart enough to strike an open flame then walk around as an ignition source on my vessel.

I get your point, but you know, part of the reason this boat (Get Wet) wasn't inspected by anyone is because they didn't carry insurance of any type. The CG didn't inspect them, nor did any insurance company (according to Duke Lacroix). Personally, I don't go out on private boats because the private boat owner can't handle the lawsuit sure to come if the private boat owner chops my wife up with a propeller, costing many tens of thousands to stitch her back together. I feel that I as a licensed captain do my best to protect my passengers. I have insurance if I screw up. I also don't go out on private boats because they are powered by gasoline. Any little spark in the bilge pump switch can cause the whole thing to go up in flames. I don't smoke either, but I prefer the safety of diesel powered vessels. IJS.

I think it would be a mistake to look at that CG inspection sticker as gospel that a vessel is safe. The inspection is a snapshot in time. The inspector comes on once per year and checks that the vessel is in compliance with written regulations in effect at that time. They come back the following year. A well run 6 pack is beholden to the insurance company to maintain the vessel at a certain level of compliance ALL the time. You have to schedule a CG inspection, the insurance surveyor can show up any time.

I think you'd be much better off to become a savvy diver. Prior to booking a trip, ask how many issues of license the captain has. We're proud that we're Captains on our (2nd, 3rd, 4th, whatever) issue. if it's the captain's first issue, maybe he isn't that experienced. Ask for the latest air test. If it's over 6 months old or the shop doesn't want to provide it, keep walking. Does the compressor have a CO monitor? If the answer is no, keep walking. If the shop can't afford $450 for a CO Clear, they aren't really in business. Ask for their limits of liability for Hull, P&I, and in-water liability. Hull is like collision on a car. P&I (Protection and Indemnity) is like Liability. The biggie, in-water liability, is where you are protected from the boat doing something stupid like leaving you behind. It's what covers the divers when they are not on the boat. For an insurer to grant a in-water policy, the operator must have their crap together and meet certain insurance company requirements. They check that the operator does these things. Look at the boat. Hey, we all have chipped paint at the end of the season, but is the fiberglass damaged? Are the rub rails shattered? When you see the engine hatch up, is there a smoking pile of rust in the bilge? Are the life jackets where you can readily get to them? Are they stowed or used as pillows? Have folks been stubbing out their smokes on the life ring? Is the dock safe or does the crew say "watch your step"? (I'm guilty of that one) Does the boat/Captain/DM give you a good competent feeling when you step on, or do you kind of look around sideways when you look in the cockpit with a queasy feeling?

Quiescence Diving built their reputation and a 35 year business in the keys running 6-pack boats. I'd compare any of their boats with any inspected vessel anywhere in the keys. I'm sure there are other reputable 6 pack operators, as well as there being very scary inspected vessels too. Remember, most keys boats are dual certified, meaning that if there aren't 7 payers on the boat, it can be operated as a 6 pack too.

I learn so much on ScubaBoard! :daydreaming:

I second the recommendation on Quiescience. I have dove with them many times and have never felt unsafe in any way. And I'm a safety nut. For example, I carry a CO detector to check my air before every dive because 99% of the dive ops don't monitor for it.

And as Frank said, any dive op that doesn't monitor for CO, isn't doing their job IMHO. CO is a deadly killer for divers and deserves at least as much press as monitoring O2 levels in nitrox. DAN and all the other agencies basically ignore CO. As a diver, you've got to watch out for yourself. Get an Analox CO analyzer.

When the boat started flooding the Captain asked the passengers to move forward in the cabin in order to balance out the weight. That's why Aimee and Amit were in the cabin.

The M/V "Get Wet" was fitted with a hatch on a hinge on the after deck. When the transom flooded, the hatch swung up, pinning the door to the cabin shut, and trapping Aimee and Amit inside.

How the others escaped, I don't know.

The "Get Wet" had no hull insurance. The liability insurance of Key Largo Scuba Shack is unknown. Jacobs Aquatic Center probably has liability, but they will rely upon the PADI release that Aimee and Amit likely signed before beginning their instruction. In my opinion the release can be defeated.

As I posted earler we dove on "Get Wet" back in July. I don't remember any cabin being on the boat.
While the boat was definately not th e"nicest" boat we have ever been on we did have a wonderful time. The DM that was there at the time was awesome and I guess with good people we kind of overlooked the boat.

I am just very thankful that all went well with us. The first few days the boat was down and we were taken out on another boat but the DM went along. Guess on our next trip we will go back to Rainbow Reef who we have always dove with.

I hope that the person that was in the hospital is doing good. My prayers go out to Aimee's family and the others that had to experience this horrible accident.

Is there any news on the injured person?

As I posted earler we dove on "Get Wet" back in July. I don't remember any cabin being on the boat.
While the boat was definately not th e"nicest" boat we have ever been on we did have a wonderful time. The DM that was there at the time was awesome and I guess with good people we kind of overlooked the boat.

I am just very thankful that all went well with us. The first few days the boat was down and we were taken out on another boat but the DM went along. Guess on our next trip we will go back to Rainbow Reef who we have always dove with.

I hope that the person that was in the hospital is doing good. My prayers go out to Aimee's family and the others that had to experience this horrible accident.

Is there any news on the injured person?
I was told yesterday by another operator that the other victim is not responsive. Very sad for all involved.

Duke Lacroix-"The "Get Wet" had no hull insurance. The liability insurance of Key Largo Scuba Shack is unknown. Jacobs Aquatic Center probably has liability, but they will rely upon the PADI release that Aimee and Amit likely signed before beginning their instruction. In my opinion the release can be defeated".

IMO PADI will have nothing to do with this accident. Clearly, this was a boat accident with passengers aboard. The exposure rests with the boat owner/operator. The liability is part of the hull policy. The lawsuits to come will likely go after the vicarious and "deep pockets" which would include the home port, motel, etc. This is why most marinas require to be named "additional insured" by any for hire vessels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom