Scubapro Balanced Adjustable - have you seen this version?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A year or so ago I was offering all parts needed to newly update the 109 but there was very little interest so gave up. You need .141 lever, .216/.218 spring and balance chamber. I was offering new orifices too as these are often toast.
Well, we'll see what we have when it arrives and I certainly will keep you in mind. I've got so darn many regulators, both 1st and 2nd stages that i really don't know why I bought a couple more but it's an addiction I guess.... lol ...

Well, we'll see what we have when it arrives and I certainly will keep you in mind. I've got so darn many regulators, both 1st and 2nd stages that i really don't know why I bought a couple more but it's an addiction I guess.... lol ...
It's pathological, welcome to the insanity.

I've just acquired a really nice Scubapro 2nd stage. I know it's at least a 156 but most all of this model I've seen have a chrome face plate and "Balanced Adjustable" printed on them. The "Mark X Dual Balanced" version, that I've read was only available in Europe, has a matte finish on the face plate and a chrome body. This one I've just purchased has a chrome body and a matte face plate that has "Balanced Adjustable" on it and I've never seen one of this flavor so please enlighten me on what I might have exactly. Hopefully it's not just a hodge podge of leftover parts as I probably paid more than I should for it. I've attached a couple of pic's for clarity. Please let me know what you think.....
Thanks JP
I was wondering if I have seen a Balanced Adjustable with that combination of parts, thinking maybe. My quest for a true 156 got a bit crazy and I was buying loads of satin faced Balanced Adjustables from all over in hopes of getting lucky.
After looking thru a drawer full of B/As plus SP catalogs from that era including German, US, French, and Japanese versions... I think I agree with buddhasummer's evaluation of your find. A hodgepodge perhaps, but a good looking regulator with potential for great performance regardless.

As a bit of trivia, I think there are three numbers that apply to these type stages if strictly going by catalog designations. I'm sure someone will correct me if I have it wrong.
  • Catalog # 109 is the original and unbalanced version. Can be upgraded to Balanced Adjustable status. Call these a 109.
  • Catalog # 150 (or 152 if it was sold as octopus) accounts for 99% of Balanced Adjustables in the wild. Depending on when and where they were produced these have several factory combinations of adjustment knobs, bodies, and faceplates. Some have serial numbers printed on the body. Call these a Balanced Adjustable.
  • Catalog # 156 is a very rare find, as it is the CE version of the Balanced Adjustable. These will have serial number & CE stamp on the body. I think these came in a couple minor factory variations. Call these "Da bomb"
The Mark X Dual Balanced is simply a factory re-labled Balanced Adjustable/MK10 combo. Aside from having Mark X Dual Balanced printed on the cover, the second stage is a standard Balanced Adjustable.

Attachments

• BADJ-1995-10 CE.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 96
I was wondering if I have seen a Balanced Adjustable with that combination of parts, thinking maybe. My quest for a true 156 got a bit crazy and I was buying loads of satin faced Balanced Adjustables from all over in hopes of getting lucky.
After looking thru a drawer full of B/As plus SP catalogs from that era including German, US, French, and Japanese versions... I think I agree with buddhasummer's evaluation of your find. A hodgepodge perhaps, but a good looking regulator with potential for great performance regardless.

As a bit of trivia, I think there are three numbers that apply to these type stages if strictly going by catalog designations. I'm sure someone will correct me if I have it wrong.
  • Catalog # 109 is the original and unbalanced version. Can be upgraded to Balanced Adjustable status. Call these a 109.
  • Catalog # 150 (or 152 if it was sold as octopus) accounts for 99% of Balanced Adjustables in the wild. Depending on when and where they were produced these have several factory combinations of adjustment knobs, bodies, and faceplates. Some have serial numbers printed on the body. Call these a Balanced Adjustable.
  • Catalog # 156 is a very rare find, as it is the CE version of the Balanced Adjustable. These will have serial number & CE stamp on the body. I think these came in a couple minor factory variations. Call these "Da bomb"
The Mark X Dual Balanced is simply a factory re-labled Balanced Adjustable/MK10 combo. Aside from having Mark X Dual Balanced printed on the cover, the second stage is a standard Balanced Adjustable.
But you should have a true '156'........

There have been two versions of the 'true' 156, a 1st and a 2nd, final version.
They are pretty rare, Kevin has the most beautiful, because like new, last generation 156.
I found in years only three 'true' 156s, one I gave away, but now at least I have left each of both versions of the 156s.
Since I just received my 2nd last generation 156 just about ten days ago, I will check if I find any other differences between the two versions but the step in the barrel.
Anyway, love the face plate of your BA.....

Attachments

• P1130263.JPG
    P1130263.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 64
  • P1130267.JPG
    P1130267.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 61
  • P1160192.JPG
    P1160192.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 54
  • P1160201.JPG
    P1160201.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 57
There have been two versions of the 'true' 156, a 1st and a 2nd, final version.
They are pretty rare, Kevin has the most beautiful, because like new, last generation 156.
I found in years only three 'true' 156s, one I gave away, but now at least I have left each of both versions of the 156s.
Since I just received my 2nd last generation 156 just about ten days ago, I will check if I find any other differences between the two versions but the step in the barrel.
Anyway, love the face plate of your BA.....

Here is my “entry.” I do not see the European certification, but the body and face are satin finish. It appears to have never been in the water. Serial number is apparent on the second pic.

Attachments

• D3FA3F5E-E4A8-4ACC-8626-91FC1C113B61.jpeg
    D3FA3F5E-E4A8-4ACC-8626-91FC1C113B61.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 74
  • C2F9BCBD-76DA-40ED-8F91-37BF8D544ED6.jpeg
    C2F9BCBD-76DA-40ED-8F91-37BF8D544ED6.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 61
A year or so ago I was offering all parts needed to newly update the 109 but there was very little interest so gave up. You need .141 lever, .216/.218 spring and balance chamber. I was offering new orifices too as these are often toast.
All of my 5 G250's, except one, have the same adjustment knob as your pictured 156 so I looked it up on both the 109/15X and G250 parts breakdown and both show to have the same 11-250-009 part number. However, the parts breakdown PDF you provided for the CE shows a part number of 11-150-104 and appears to be the same and I assume that it is since it will fit. I guess they "upgraded" the part number so it relates to the CE version only. ???? .... So if you had a "sacrificial" G250 you could use those parts to return the 156 to it's original condition or am I missing something here?

Here is my “entry.” I do not see the European certification, but the body and face are satin finish. It appears to have never been in the water. Serial number is apparent on the second pic.have never seen a
Whow!!
Congrats!!
I have never seen a 'true' 156' of the 1st generation without CA stamp!
Just to make sure it's really a 156, you have to remove the exhaust tee.
Then it should look like that........... With a big exhaust valve ( G250 style)........
And the satin face plate is pretty unique......
'95 has been the very first year of the production of the BA 156 it seems!

Attachments

• P1130280.JPG
    P1130280.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 59
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom