Scubapro Hydros Pro Sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not say I am a die hard Hydros Pro user, I did look at the Aqualung Outlaw at $300 cheaper and others and dismissed them as not being up to the required standard [for me,only my opinion].
But will admit I am a Scubapro 'tragic', have been since I bought my first SP regulator all those many years ago [still have, service and dive it], their gear just last the test of time.
Edit: Spelling [as usual].
I was just in Maui where in. 5 mil, I needed about 8 lbs with my Ti BP. I regretted not taking my SS one + STA. That way I’d need less lead and maybe have taken a couple lbs with me so I’d not have to rent at $3/day (yes, I am that cheap but in my defense my family is from North Holland, known for being more miserly than the rest of the country).

The Scubapro SS Plate I had was 2.4Kg [what's that in the 'old money'] 5.3 Lb, still 2.7Lb short.
I do not miss the SS plate [and its weight, more to the point] when setting up my cylinder to the BC.

The Scubapro SS Plate I had was 2.4Kg [what's that in the 'old money'] 5.3 Lb, still 2.7Lb short.
I do not miss the SS plate [and its weight, more to the point] when setting up my cylinder to the BC.
My SS BP + STA = 6 lb. Carrying 2 1-lb weights is no big deal. It was nice to separate my wing, BP, STA, and harness for fitting inside my carry on. As long as no one weighs my carry on, I'm good. Though if they did, I'd just "wear" my harness, BP, and STA underneath my coat.

I have always thought you were from Turkey. This is a new revelation to me.
Oh them’s fightin’ words. We’ll have to settle it outside the next DEMA. :mad::wink::eek:

Of course, I'll invite you for Turkish coffee and baklava!!

:yeahbaby::rofl3::rofl3:
Lol Arab coffee. Along with some Arab balklava. Then we can go eat some Arab mousaka!

5' 9" reasonably athletic build, wide shoulders, 32-34" waist depending whether the yo-yo is up or down!! Weight will be between 175 and 190 too. M fits fine, with a rash and a brand new 3mm full + new 1.5 vest.
Just curious, how much lead [you would not need much] do you use and how do you position it, i.e. trim pockets at the back and weight pockets in the front ?
Cylinder 12.2L steel or whatever you use?

LOL, I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to be triggered.

If the OP has issue with their size of trying to figure out what size to buy, and that it could be the wrong size with a change in wetsuit thickness (or no wetsuit, or going up to a dry suit), maybe it isn't the right thing for them? While the harness of a BP/W is easily adjustable, maybe another product may be in order? It doesn't look like this is the right product for the OP. Yes, I get there are die hard SP Hydro users in this thread. Doesn't change the fact that this may not be the right product for the OP.

All good points, and this is exactly what I'm trying to work through here. I did try the small on with my 3mm (ok, it's probably closer to a 2mm at this point...), and honestly I didn't notice a major difference from the 7mm, which was unexpected.

A few points:
-moving the chest strap up and down didn't really seem to do much in terms of the fit or comfort (see pics);
-the torso length *seems* a bit short, but not sure how much that actually plays out in the water;
-otherwise the design seems interesting enough that I'm curious to try it in the water and see how it feels. Unfortunately there aren't any dealers in the area that have demo BCs to try. :/

I've never owned a piece of SP gear before this, but I took the recent loss of most of my gear as an opportunity (ok, excuse) to try out some new stuff that seemed interesting and different than what I've been using until now. That said, I'm not wed to the Hydros (the Cressi Scorpion and Lightwing also caught my eye), just heard good things and was able to get a decent deal on it with the exchange rate and VAT back, etc. from my LDS.

Hydros 1.jpg
Hydros 2.jpg

In the pic on the right, the chest strap is in the 2nd from top position...

Hydros 3.jpg

..and here the chest strap is in the bottom-most position, and the tail seems about the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom