ScubaPro R109/R156?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been out real diving for a decade and with current urges retired my old rig. purchased new equipment and took a refresher course. Sitting in the bottom of the pool with this new equipment really made me miss my old rig. A Scubapro powerhouse from the mid to late 80s. Easy flow and never a problem, I even thought the Air II 2G was easier than the new balanced adjustable. A LDS told me it was unservicable (from 10 feet away) I am trying to identify it so I can do some more research on how and who to have it serviced. From what I can figure out it is a 109 but there is no adjustment knob. It also seems the first is a 3G MK2. Can anyone help and or confirm the models? Scubapro.jpg

I have been out real diving for a decade and with current urges retired my old rig. purchased new equipment and took a refresher course. Sitting in the bottom of the pool with this new equipment really made me miss my old rig. A Scubapro powerhouse from the mid to late 80s. Easy flow and never a problem, I even thought the Air II 2G was easier than the new balanced adjustable. A LDS told me it was unservicable (from 10 feet away) I am trying to identify it so I can do some more research on how and who to have it serviced. From what I can figure out it is a 109 but there is no adjustment knob. It also seems the first is a 3G MK2. Can anyone help and or confirm the models?View attachment 92764

If your LDS meant they were not able to service it, that's one issue-unless the shop is a ScubaPro shop.
If your LDS meant the regulator is not serviceable, then it's time to find another dive shop....your LDS cannot be trusted.

Your reg: 1st stage is a MK2; 2nd stage is a 108; the AIR 2 is a 2nd generation.

Contact DA Aquamaster http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=12863 or BlueWaterDiving http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=7753 to get them serviced.

See the ScubaPro Museum for interesting tidbits about your gear:
http://www.scubaproregulatormuseum.org/History/history.html

Couv

thanks for clarifying couv. It was the only Scubapro LDS, and I never dealt with them before (I moved here from MI) I was pretty set back by the attitude. It's just that I think this old set up is much better than a new setup. After researching SB it sounds like this stuff is rock solid and very servicible. I will contact your suggestions if I can't find a shop that I can walk into to have them serviced.

It's identical to the first new reg I ever bought - a Mk 3 High Performance I purchased in 1985.

I still use the first stage as my dry suit inflation reg on trimix dives and the second stages serves as the octo on my PRAM.

It's a great reg that is still fully supported by scubapro.

The flow rate is comparable to the current Mk 2+ as they use the same basic design, same seat and same basic orifice. The Mk 3 has a smaller piston head giving it slightly greater IP change as tank pressure drops and it has only 3 LP ports, but overall performance is about the same.

The High Performance (108) second stage breathes very well and was a very high quality and well executed iteration of the unbalanced downstream design. Despite being unbalanced it will blow the socks off a current R295 or the similar R390, R380, R290 and R190.

Scubapro still hits on them generally in their Expert Tech classes but I've noted the empahsis there is less on servicing them and more on suggestively selling a new reg. I agree with that approach in terms of honestly worn out regs, or with regard to things like the Mk 7 that have little or no practical use for a modern diver.

However if a Mk 3 High Performance is in great condition, replacing with with a Mk 2+ R295 would be a bit of a retrograde step as the performance of the average R295 is not up to the same level of performance as a good condition 108. You shoud be able to expect inhalation efforts in the 1.0" of water range with a 108 in good conditon and all but the earliest versions had fairly large exhaust valves giving excellent exhalation efforts as well.

Wolfie, That Scubapro regulator looks to be in excellent shape. Have you ever considered doing the service yourself. The mk3 and 108 are very easy to change 0-rings and seats.

It's identical to the first new reg I ever bought - a Mk 3 .....

Thank's DA for the clarification on the first stage being a MK 3, not a MK2. But I have to ask, how does one tell the difference by looking at a picture?

regards,

Couv

I too would ID it as a MK2....3 LP ports and heavy yoke.
Another clue would be the piston cap...flat, concave, convex.....not seen in pic

Newer Mk3 and older Mk2 use the same body. The only external difference is the cap. I believe the SPEC cap is a Mk3 indicator.

I was going off this picture when I tagged it as a MK2. http://www.scubaproregulatormuseum.org/The_Regulators/First_Stage/First/first_3.html I was going off the yoke and body, but as Awap noted, the body of the 3 is the same size, so I would imagine the yoke too. However, comparing the ambient holes in both pictures has me leaning toward the MK2. I'm hoping one of the gurus here can give a more definitive answer and what clues to look for.

Wolfie, could you post a few more close up shots of the first stage?

Back
Top Bottom