Scubapro Seawing Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree the frog kick is more difficult. As far as the material, it is a special monomer, not rubber. Scuabpro used it to keep the weight down. I wonder if a few row of shoe-goo on the heel would fix the slippery surface.

Marine 9, I got them online...at my favorite diveshop....not local to me, but available to the world...and a lot of folks here hate them, but to me, a dollar is a dollar, and if I keep more of them, then I am happy....contact Leisure Pro for the Seawing Nova fins...they are not on their catalogue site yet, but the fins are in Stock...contact them via email , or phone.....heck, I got mine, and sent in an "atta boy" email, I got a response back from the president of the company, thanking me for giving them an "atta boy".....$124.95 + shipping.....beats the $190 local price, and so fricking what if LP is not an "Authorized Dealer" , what is going to go wrong with a fin......?DUH!
Dive early, dive often......!

I saw these at the LDS, went in for a lesson in "fins". I am still a rookie at all this diving stuff, but my snorkel fins just never seemed "right", so I did some reading about the splits, the AL slingshots, and saw the Seawings, and had to have em, fugly, but they look like something Batman would use! I ordered them last sunday from Leisure pro, they arrived on Thursday.....$125 Off to Cancun/Cozumel in 3 weeks....

So your LDS let you try them out, & you bought them online, saving $60?

I've had my Nova since September. I placed and order as soon as I heard about them. I love them but have had a problem with them and wonder if anyone has had the same issue.

First, I believe mine are properly sized, I've had them checked by several experienced divers. When I first got them, on a front scissor kick entry my following fin would come off my foot and ride up my leg. If I couldn't get help from a buddy before the descent, my dive was over as I could not properly remove the fin from my calf and place it back on my foot. I was able to use the one fin crossover kick technique to surface and was picked up by the dive boat without issue. This happened to me two more times on the same entry, forward entry. On the other times I let my buddy know to look for this problem and with some effort on their part, they were able to pull off my fin and put it back on my foot properly.

I think the cause of the problem is that I drag my rear leg as I enter the water so the fin enters the water top side down and with all the pressure (water resistance), it pulls the fin off my foot up to my calf. I have tried to practice putting the fin back on without help but I just can not seem to manage it. I suspect the bungee cord gives a little too much. I've tried on a size smaller and it is just way to small.

I have not solved the problem but I now have a work around and have made at least 50 entries without another problem with the fin riding up my leg upon entry. I now simply enter the water using the backwards technique or sit and roll depending on the situation.

Let me say that using the front entry, in about 20+ dives my fin rode up my leg about 3 or 4 times. On the front entry I was taught to use the kick upon entry to slow down the force or the impact of hitting the water. When I relaxed more and didn't use a forceful entry kick, the fin never rode up my leg.

I would just like to see if anyone else has experienced this problem. Now that I know how it occurs, I continue to use the rear entry but if I needed to use the front entry I would be aware not to use such a forceful kick upon entry.

Maybe I'm an odd ball. I do wish the bungee cord was a little tighter as sometimes when I kick against the current, I get a feeling that my fin is a little loose. I love these fins and they are also a little positive buoyancy which is nice when you must take them off to return to the boat.

Thanks

Last edited:
First off, I would go to the Scubapro site and write them about it. They may have had similar reports and may have a solution for you.

I have not heard about this problem. I have done various entries with mine without incident. Maybe the bungee cords can be trimmed. Ask Scubapro.

Hey, Cabo Jim, do you buy your car from the first dealers lot you look over? Buy the refridgerator from the first appliance store you enter? When your water heater dies, do you call one plumber, and tell him to come over? Where I live, we have choices available...and if you chose to put your cash in one persons till, that is your choice....all I did was try on some footwear.....that shop has a lot of my money....lessons, equipment overhauls...if you are a dealer/sales rep/clerk/sweeper...you need to smell the coffee, and realize that the INTERNET is a big happy place, and we use it.....I just received a new bathroom faucet via the internet that cost me $258(special order, hard to find, with shipping included.....versus paying $340 from the local Home Depot.....so.........keep paying too much for your purchases....i don't....
I will be using those fins tomorrow in Cancun, leaving the below freezing midwest ......cannot wait for a full moon night snorkel!:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Last edited:
No, but, unlike you, I do support my LDS, For a few extra dollars that I pay to buy my gear from him, is worth alot of benefits I get from my LDS, from air fills, help in adjusting my reg, tightening the hoses that come loose, etc..There is a difference between the LDS and an appliance store, but I guess you have to figure that one out on your own....

The LDS? I used to buy a lot of stuff online. I too tried them on a the LDS and stuff like that. I live in Florida. In the last year alone with 100 miles of where I live, more than 5 dive shops have gone out of business. Jan 1, my local dive shop, 10 minutes from the house filed Bankruptcy and shut his doors. Before Christmas, a dive shop 30 minutes from my house sold out all their equipment for 50-75% off and now their door is shut and when you call all you get is the answer machine is full. These two closed shops didn't count in my previous 5 shops that closed since October 2008. I now must drive over an hour to get air and it is not something you drop off and 10 minutes later you get a full tank with a certain percentage of FO2, or EAN. Normally, they must cool the tanks down and you pick them up the next day or so. This is an added expense on gas. I also did some calculations regarding the number of dive I make and the amount to pay for parts for service. I diving where I should have my equipment serviced between four and six months. It doesn't take too long to have blown that savings I made on the equipment when I'm also paying for parts and full price for labor. The LDS is also there to answer questions and look at things and help you figure them out. Just this past week my LDS made up a crotch strap (custom) to hold my BC tighter for better buoyancy control and to hang my reel for my lift bag or safety sausage. I also have taken several advanced classes, Stress and Rescue, Advance O2, and Tec Deep Diving. I can't get any of this from an online store or Ebay. I can't afford for more LDS to go out of business. They must charge more, they have rent and light bills to pay. I overheard (aka eves dropping) one of the product reps singing the blues that he knows of seven dive shops in the Florida area in his Territory that are planning on locking the doors in the next few months.

The dive shops further south and with access to boats are starting to feel the pain. I dove a week ago on a day when the ocean looked almost like glass, the outside air temp was chilly for us, about 68. We had two of the most wonderful reef drift dives with almost unlimited (no such thing) visibility. The water temp was 74 top to bottom (90 feet). I like it better when it is between 82-85 in the summer months but it was a great dive when you dress right. Guess what, only four people on the boat when normally two years ago they would have been full with flat seas and weather like that. This was a boat out of Palm Beach, people in Palm Beach have money. Maybe the cooler temperature kept them away?

My point here is we need to support our LDS, if we don't, many will not be around the next time you need air or a quick part. Listen, I will be the first to tell you I have had good service from some of the online shops and I have done well on eBay. But, these places to not fill my tanks with Air or EAN. Please give this some thought, I did and I just bought a ScubaPro A700 and made two dives on it and loved it

Back
Top Bottom