Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay have a question. I ordered it with the trigon pee valve. On closer inspection it appears that the hose is missing the connector. I've attached pictures. Am I missing something?

You should have gotten a separate plastic zip bag with the Trigon manual, tool, and hose fitting.

As mentioned, the hose fitting is better off replaced.

But, you DO want the tool that is to help you unscrew the valve and remove it from the suit. You don't normally need to do that, but you might want to take it apart at some point in the future for a more thorough cleaning or possibly to fix an issue - particularly if you happen to get debris into the mushroom valve inside the valve body.

If that was not sent to you, I would reach out to Seaskin and ask for them to send you the whole Trigon kit that you should have received.

Nothing comes attached to the hose. They should have included a white valve but that isn't worth installing. Order a few dry break female and 4-5 male quick disconnects from McMaster.
I keep a full set in my SAD, 1 male on the female while suit is not in use to minimize moisture retention, and then the male I'm using in my undergarment pocket until it's time to prep the cath. When I get in the suit I put the male I keep on it into my undergarment pocket until I'm done diving and have flushed the valve.

I keep a Ziploc bag in my duffel bag with my undergarments. In that bag are all my QD fittings for the pee valve, a bunch of skin prep wipes, a bunch of condom catheters, and a pair of scissors.

I find that the catheters adhere to *ahem* me best when I am clean and dry. So, on drysuit dive days, I shower in the morning and then:

Use the scissors to cut a bit off the end of a catheter. I make it shorter, so it's less likely to kink.

Insert male QD fitting into catheter.

I use a skin prep wipe to clean myself one last time.

Put the catheter on.

Wear it like that until I'm done diving for the day.

I can totally pee through the QD fitting when I'm not in my drysuit, so it's no big deal to just have it on. And it makes it really easy to suit up. All I have to do when I'm ready is connect the pee tube to the QD fitting I'm already wearing.

I have had 2 blowouts in my drysuit diving. One happened when I didn't use a skin prep wipe. One happened when I (believe I) didn't position the pee tube and everything just right and I got a kink at the end of the catheter (even though I had cut it short). Peeing myself inside my drysuit is not much fun. I'd prefer not to do it again. So, I take all possible steps to ensure I don't.

YMMV. That is just how *I* do it.

I keep a Ziploc bag in my duffel bag with my undergarments. In that bag are all my QD fittings for the pee valve, a bunch of skin prep wipes, a bunch of condom catheters, and a pair of scissors.

I find that the catheters adhere to *ahem* me best when I am clean and dry. So, on drysuit dive days, I shower in the morning and then:

Use the scissors to cut a bit off the end of a catheter. I make it shorter, so it's less likely to kink.

Insert male QD fitting into catheter.

I use a skin prep wipe to clean myself one last time.

Put the catheter on.

Wear it like that until I'm done diving for the day.

I can totally pee through the QD fitting when I'm not in my drysuit, so it's no big deal to just have it on. And it makes it really easy to suit up. All I have to do when I'm ready is connect the pee tube to the QD fitting I'm already wearing.

I have had 2 blowouts in my drysuit diving. One happened when I didn't use a skin prep wipe. One happened when I (believe I) didn't position the pee tube and everything just right and I got a kink at the end of the catheter (even though I had cut it short). Peeing myself inside my drysuit is not much fun. I'd prefer not to do it again. So, I take all possible steps to ensure I don't.

YMMV. That is just how *I* do it.
I do a similar prep for my dive days. Night before I trim and ensure there are no stray hairs to remind me I've glued something to my natural pee valve.

My undergarment duffle has 4-5 caths in a bag, a m/f QD set, 4-5 prep wipes, and other extras for my drysuit.

I often dive after work so before I leave I go to the cripple stall and prep/don the cath and head to the site.

Weekend dives I do a similar process the night before and don the cath before I leave my house. I wear it all day with no issue and pee through the QD when not in the suit. I don't shower the morning of because I don't want any potential soap residues left behind. The prep wipe takes care of any oils.

What pre wipes do we all use?

Interesting.

I get off of work, sometimes rather sweaty / dirty. Don the catheter at the site. No wipes, no prep. I slide my fingers down to move any hair out of the way and then roll the catheter on. No trimming at all. About the only prep that I do is cutting the tip of the catheter off so it doesn't kink. If it's going to be an all day event I'll shower the night before and don in the morning. I've never had an issue with it coming unglued. Never used a prep wipe. Everybody's body is different.

Just saying there's different ways to skin a cat.

When done I peel from the bottom up. Easy peasy.

Interesting.

I get off of work, sometimes rather sweaty / dirty. Don the catheter at the site. No wipes, no prep. I slide my fingers down to move any hair out of the way and then roll the catheter on. No trimming at all. About the only prep that I do is cutting the tip of the catheter off so it doesn't kink. If it's going to be an all day event I'll shower the night before and don in the morning. I've never had an issue with it coming unglued. Never used a prep wipe. Everybody's body is different.

Just saying there's different ways to skin a cat.

When done I peel from the bottom up. Easy peasy.
Well you are well renowned for you handling of “it” perhaps familiarity help. :cool:

I'm just about to buy my first Seaskin (and then spend the next 3 months obsessively checking emails and watching the clock until it arrives). What extras did you all buy? I'm thinking of getting:
  • Drysuit
    • fully telescopic
    • extra thick undergarments
    • plastic zip with zip cover
    • trigon p-valve
    • quick neck (or do I go orust and forgo the warm neck?)
    • simple warm neck
    • oval cuffs (my hands are big and don't fold, so I would struggle getting the 100mm Kubis on and they would be much bulkier than the ovals)
    • DIR valve position
    • SI Tech valves
    • Neoprene socks
    • 40mm braces
    • Expedition pockets x2
  • Undergarment 250
    • I know people try to game the system and avoid duty, but it seems like the $75 shipping to the US is more than the cost of 28% tax
    • I'm thinking of just the 250 because that seems like the best compromise. I feel that it'll be good in warmer water dry diving and in colder water stuff. If I ever start ice diving, I can layer extra stuff underneath, and if I'm too warm, I can get less insulating gear at that point.
  • Extra neck seal x1
  • Extra wrist seals x1 pair
What other extras should I buy at this point? Are there any other spare parts that I would want for my SAD kit?

I will get the quick disconnects, condom caths, skin prep wipes, and rock boots later once the suit is closer to arrival.

Is there any other advice that you would have for me at this point? I've tried to go through all the pages, but there's a lot of info and I probably missed some.

I'm just about to buy my first Seaskin (and then spend the next 3 months obsessively checking emails and watching the clock until it arrives). What extras did you all buy? I'm thinking of getting:
  • Drysuit
    • fully telescopic
    • extra thick undergarments
    • plastic zip with zip cover
    • trigon p-valve
    • quick neck (or do I go orust and forgo the warm neck?)
    • simple warm neck
    • oval cuffs (my hands are big and don't fold, so I would struggle getting the 100mm Kubis on and they would be much bulkier than the ovals)
    • DIR valve position
    • SI Tech valves
    • Neoprene socks
    • 40mm braces
    • Expedition pockets x2
  • Undergarment 250
    • I know people try to game the system and avoid duty, but it seems like the $75 shipping to the US is more than the cost of 28% tax
    • I'm thinking of just the 250 because that seems like the best compromise. I feel that it'll be good in warmer water dry diving and in colder water stuff. If I ever start ice diving, I can layer extra stuff underneath, and if I'm too warm, I can get less insulating gear at that point.
  • Extra neck seal x1
  • Extra wrist seals x1 pair
What other extras should I buy at this point? Are there any other spare parts that I would want for my SAD kit?

I will get the quick disconnects, condom caths, skin prep wipes, and rock boots later once the suit is closer to arrival.

Is there any other advice that you would have for me at this point? I've tried to go through all the pages, but there's a lot of info and I probably missed some.
I think that's all good. I have zero experience with Orust but the quick neck has been great (haven't had to change it yet though).

I didn't see any padding? Might want to get something, not sure. At least knees and shoulders? You can also get without Seaskin or Kevlar written anywhere (there is an option for removing Seaskin, but you have to request to remove Kevlar from kneed pads)

The oval cuffs will work with the Waterproof Ultimas or the Rolock 90's if you wanted dry gloves. Seaskin sells the 90's, I like either system a lot. I think Rolock's are easier to load for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom