Shearwater coming out with new DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would the entry to rec computer is a step backward for Shearwater?

Only to those who are extraordinarily elitist; it makes no sense to me. :idk:

I agree. As long as they make a computer has the functionality tech divers desire, it really doesn't matter what other products they make.

Why would the entry to rec computer is a step backward for Shearwater? There are plenty tec divers, myself included, do not use dedicated tec computer for tec dive.
Some of the usual questions from new divers looking for a DC are cost and reliability. I could never suggest anything costing US$750.00 to them.
First we have to decide just exactly what an entry level dive computer would be and to do this I have to make several assumptions based on some of the posts to date.

First is that it would have to be considerably less expensive. I am no business woman but to do this I assume that the large, Lcd/Led color screen is out. So is the virtually indistructable case. Don't know but I imagine the electronics will be less advanced as well. And so I assume no more BT or updatable programs.

Hmmm. Already starting to sound like many other dc's already available.

What else? Yep, no more versatility. No or limited options. And of course it will lock out the diver that violates the safety dive parameters, like almost every other entry level dc.

So now it's pretty much like any other entry level dive computer. Gone are all the features that make a SW an exceptional product. To me this would be a step backwards (and a shift in their business model) but that is just my perspective.

Would I run out a sell my Petrel if they did this? Would I be personally offended? Of course not. I just don't see the point when there are so many like computers already on the market.

Its a business strategy, not elitism.

Last edited:
Its a business strategy, not elitism.
This strategy means also investing a lot of effort and money in developing a whole new DC at lower cost. You have to remember SW is a small company. It means quite some risk with strong competition in the market. Does not sound wise to me. IMHO SW would be better of leading their own market segment of advanced and rugged computers, instead of trying to compete with Suunto and the rest. Better be the best at what you do than join the rest and be average at it.

I would lose no sleep if Shearwater were to offer an "entry-level" or purely "recreational" computer. However, I would hope that Shearwater would ensure it has the same sort of rugged case, large bright screen, simple battery, etc., that has--at least in my mind--become their brand. In other words, unless Shearwater wants to dilute what has become their brand, it should have every bit of hardware that their current computers have. Since the hardware is the costly bit, it is reasonable to believe they would not be able to sell it for a price lower than their current computers. So what would be the point in them offering such a computer? It would only detract from the brand. They could go the route that, for example, some automakers do, by offering a distinct high-end brand (e.g., Lexus from Toyota), but companies like that go to great lengths to keep their high-end and low-end brands separate and distinct. Achieving that kind of balance requires seriously sophisticated and expensive marketing. I would be surprised to see a dive computer company attempt that sort of thing.

Given that Shearwater already has a recreational Nitrox mode, I don't see how they could save enough money by "dumbing down" their current computers in order to make such a thing worthwhile, in addition to the potential for damaging the brand. Those arguing for such a thing might be better off trying to make a case for the computer defaulting to recreational Nitrox mode out of the box.

My petrel 2 is for sale in the classified section.

Getting a Perdix because:

It's less bulky,

Maybe I can lose the crazy straps,

I want to put my money where my mouth is with regard to wanting a more streamlined DC than the brick-like Petrel, and to reward Shearwater for a step in the right direction.

If and when Shearwater (or Subgravity) have AI, I'll step up and upgrade again.

It looks like Dive Gear Express will be shipping the Perdix shortly, probably later today or tomorrow.

Shipped this afternoon.

Last edited:
Basically there is no need for SW to have an entry level/better price point computer. They have reached that market with REC MODE for the people that aren't TEC Divers. As far as the price, look what you get, all the features are there, of course, minus AI. The majority of what we sell are to recreational diver and because of REC Mode, it seams that we don't get the "I'm not a Tec Diver" response because of it.

When I first saw the spec sheet (no photos) on the Perdix, I did ask, What are they doing? I then saw it when we got ours before X-Mas and then I was like WOW! Way more stylish, clearer screen, longer battery life and the size difference will be more appealing to people (didn't think it would make that much of a difference). BTW, amazing how solid Shearwater is (other companies release things and you don't see them for 9 months), our computers are already here/in stock and we have been shipping out orders since Monday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom