Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, and I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not bent out of shape at all. I'm just sharing my thoughts as one customer about how I think the product would be made better. I'm buying one, regardless.

people can't balance your gas, and figure out if they need to ascend to surface with reserve, or if they have enough gas to allow them to take deco, then why are they making those dives?
DivingDubai is hitting the nail on the head. We should be thinking when diving using all aids to help us make safe and dives. The aids include our computers, buddies and probably most important of all our brains. This is not to say that there is no room for improvement; there always is.

@stuartv

I wasn't having a go at you personally. I just think there is too much focus on GTR. On its own, what does it tell you? Okay X mins of gas to the minimum.

Without AI look at your SPG and make a decision on when to ascend based on your gas pressure and your stop objigations

So on its own GTS doesn't give you anything more, because you still need to do the math adding up your ascent time plus your stops etc etc.

So GTS on its own is only half the info, if people are going to rely on the computer they need a TTS as well. If GTS is greater than TTS all is good, if the other way around.....

Btw I agree with you that GTR should be to the surface and include stops on that cylinder. I also think GTS should be on al. Cylinders, after all if you switch to 80% that's the gas your going to ride to the surface and not the gas on your back. So having GTR on one TX only is pointless unless you only have 1 gas

That said, GTS is a waste of screen space

I'm buying one, regardless.

We had a club meet last night, no-one was aware of the Perdix AI, when I did announce it there was a burst of activity of people viewing the website, and two people were straight to DGX with their credit cards.

I think it'll be a success, certainly its on my radar as a possibility for the future. But by the time I want or need another computer things may be different again

@stuartv

Why is everyone getting so bent out if shape over GTR? If it's that important, then perhaps SW should dispense with a gas contents display and just tell you how many minutes you have remaining.

Yes GTR is nice, and it should include all the stops - maybe for some that needs a TTS as well.

But in the real world, if people can't balance your gas, and figure out if they need to ascend to surface with reserve, or if they have enough gas to allow them to take deco, then why are they making those dives?

it appears this is a contradiction. People want GF to give them the decision making on algorithms yet want a computer to nanny them on their gas contents
The way I look at it I already have a pretty good computer that does AI -- the Galileo in my case, so for me to upgrade there has to be improvement to justify the switch. I suspect others are in the same boat. Most that like AI already have an AI computer and we don't want to downgrade. I think overall this computer will do well because of the color display and the Shearwater reputation. But they would have an easier job selling to people like myself if the GTR calculation was done better.

Some of us are just happy to be able to now also see our tank pressure on our wrist along with other dive info on a SW computer versus needing to check the computer and the SPG...

+1
A digital OLED wrist readout is a lot better than an SPG in dark 1 foot visibility with particulate all over the place. (Millbrook)

@stuartv

Why is everyone getting so bent out if shape over GTR? If it's that important, then perhaps SW should dispense with a gas contents display and just tell you how many minutes you have remaining.

Yes GTR is nice, and it should include all the stops - maybe for some that needs a TTS as well.

But in the real world, if people can't balance your gas, and figure out if they need to ascend to surface with reserve, or if they have enough gas to allow them to take deco, then why are they making those dives?

it appears this is a contradiction. People want GF to give them the decision making on algorithms yet want a computer to nanny them on their gas contents

If they're going to have GTR, they should implement it correctly, that's all.

What is happier and more exciting is to see the anti-AI puritans are ALL quiet and not a sound from them. This is so funny.

I must have missed the posts from the "anti" types you are referring to.

I must have missed the posts from the "anti" types you are referring to.

They were in another thread that ran its course before this week.

Back
Top Bottom