Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a current phone, dives can be downloaded to the cloud and will be available on the cloud desktop when it is released. Firmware updates can also be done with your phone.

Bruce

I tried to get my iPhone 5s to see the Perdix bluetooth but that also didn't work. Do you have instructions?

If you have a current phone, dives can be downloaded to the cloud and will be available on the cloud desktop when it is released. Firmware updates can also be done with your phone.

Bruce

It has already been released. Some problems though, prevent to be an effective tool (either on mobile and desktop). I think that we all are waiting for their fixing.

Last edited:
With all due respect to Shearwater, I use MacDive for iPhone and Mac and the Perdix AI syncs seamlessly with either. In fact, the developer uses a Petrel and Perdix AI himself.

Hi guys,

I'm very new to diving and have just purchased a Perdix AI. I haven't even done a dive with it yet but I have a question/observation. In OC Rec mode the safety stop is set to 3m and I can't change it. I'm PADI trained and we learn to do our stops at 5m so why can't this be adjusted? Or can it and I'm missing something? The only way I can change it is to one of the other modes, and even then the choices are only 3 or 6.
The other thing that bugs me is in Rec mode I can only display the AI info on the bottom line, so as soon as I bring the compass up I can't see it. I guess there's a reason for this but I just think more flexibility with where you can put what would be nice.
Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers Mike

Last edited:
I believe 3m is the ceiling of your safety stop and you are able to do that stop at anywhere from 3-6m without warning from your Perdix. Of course 3m is a bit more effective than 6m for off gassing. 5m is better in some circumstances if you aren't dialed in to staying at an exact depth or if there is strong surge nearer the surface that makes holding to your target depth more difficult. imho

I just bit the bullet and brought my Perdix and 2 transmitters home last night. Does anyone have pics or examples of what the screens look like for SM? My Google-fu is weak.

I download to MacDive and just started using Subsurface toward the end of the season. I'm assuming MacDive still doesn't show tank switches? I know Subsurface does.

Hi guys,

I'm very new to diving and have just purchased a Perdix AI. I haven't even done a dive with it yet but I have a question/observation. In OC Rec mode the safety stop is set to 3m and I can't change it. I'm PADI trained and we learn to do our stops at 5m so why can't this be adjusted? Or can it and I'm missing something? The only way I can change it is to one of the other modes, and even then the choices are only 3 or 6.
The other thing that bugs me is in Rec mode I can only display the AI info on the bottom line, so as soon as I bring the compass up I can't see it. I guess there's a reason for this but I just think more flexibility with where you can put what would be nice.

Cheers Mike
3m is the ceiling; you are off gassing once you start to ascend from any depth but more specifically with regard to your question, once you hit about 6 meter, the "official" off gassing timer kicks in. So you do not have to ascend to 3m to get the off gassing timer go off.

From the manual [Nitrox Recreational Mode Perdix]:
Countdown begins once the depth becomes shallower than 20ft (6m).
Countdown will continue while the depth remains in the range of 7ft to 23ft (2.4m to 7.0m).

So going to 5m your countdown will start once you are a bit shallower than 6m ... Your training agency requires you stay at 5m, but for the Perdix you can go up to 2.4m. You do not have to change anything in other modes.

When in rec mode, the bottom row is the one devoted to extra info - GTR and compass are both extra info (there are more pages..), hence mutually exclusive on the bottom row. I don't think is a bug, but rather a choice to keep uncluttered the above portion of the screen.
In Tec mode, you can personalize center row, and the bottom row is still devoted to extra info, but adding to the center row GTR, you could have both visible at the same time. To be more specific, you can also add a mini compass to the center row.

I prefer to keep the Perdix always in TEC mode - I do not need the safety stop countdown: once reached my safety stop depth I just keep mentally track of the time and then I'll clear the safety stop once the required time is passed. There are two consideration on this: the main one is that the time spent diving is good, so doing a longer safety stop is not only harmless, but enjoyable - the second one is that if I were doing a NDL tec dive, I will not have any deco obligations, so, being optional (and it is always optional) I don't need a very precise countdown - if I should stay 30 sec less it should have no consequences.

Moreover - once the safety stop time is cleared I go to the surface veeery slowly - i takes more than one minute - sometimes 90 sec to surface - this is more safe than a complete safety stop - especially if you were diving close to the NDL.

Hi guys,

Cheers Mike

In addition to what others have pointed out--that the safety stop timer counts when you are anywhere in the range between 3 and 6m--you can choose to ignore what the timer says and just time it yourself. You can even turn the safety stop feature off entirely, so that it displays nothing. Sure, you're on your own now. :eek: But it still displays your depth and your dive time as always. So you can just watch the display as you ascend and choose to stop at whatever depth you feel like stopping at--make it 5m for now if that's what you were taught--and you can choose how long to remain there. I know that's hardly a revelation, and I apologize--I hope it doesn't come across as patronizing. Rather, I'm pointing out that one of the great things about the Perdix over some other computers is the freedom it gives you, even in Rec mode. It treats you like the responsible diver you are, and does not penalize you for ignoring the Perdix's suggested 3-6m stop. I'm not suggesting you omit a safety stop, but on the other hand it's worth giving the safety stop's depth and time parameters more thought when you have a chance to read up on it. Once you get a little beyond "very new to diving" and you start reading up on what deco really means physiologically (check out the book Deco For Divers), and read how PADI arrived at its decision to teach a 5m safety stop, you might have a revelation and realize this is not an exact science, and you can adjust the depth and time of your stop(s) to suit your current understanding. The Perdix isn't limiting you; it's freeing you. :)

I don't have a Perdix, so my comment could be totally wrong, but just a thought, could the 3m or 5m possibly refer not to the depth, but to the time (3 minutes or 5 minutes)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom