Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those of you who are complaining / questioning why just 2 transmitter, FAQ page might provide some answers (emphasis is mine)

Why does the Perdix AI only support two transmitters?
The Perdix AI only supports two transmitters in the initial firmware release. This decision was made to reduce screen clutter and simplify the user interface.

Does the Perdix AI support sidemount configuration?
The Perdix AI does support two transmitters used on tanks in a sidemount configuration, however, gas time remaining (GTR) calculations are only supported for one selected transmitter (diver’s choice). Tank switching notifications are not supported in the initial firmware release.

GTR in my opinion is a pointless feature, and one that could cause the inexperienced diver to be lulled into a false sense of security. GTR is normally calculated using your current consumption rate. All well and good, but if you use it to push the limits of the dive and then get a situation where you suddenly get elevated consumption, then it's highly possible you'll have got yourself into an OOA situation.

GTR in my opinion is no substitute for gas planning.

I've used it once, when in a difficult situation with a current, and a massively elevated SAC rate, I referred to it while weighing up my options, even then only to double check my mental calcs.

This has to be taken in the context of the target audience (for A.I., usually recreational divers), most of whom can simply head up top if the need arises. Which can be a problem (e.g.: far from the boat, didn't bring a SMB and concern about passing boats, etc...), but beats staying down and drowning.

Many of these people have not yet, and in many cases never will, the intuitive and experience-based grasp of their gas consumption rate as it pertains to a given dive, depth, time elapsed, etc... This thing where many tec. divers know pretty closely what they're SPG will say before they look at it? Not everybody can do that. But many people can use GTR to get a sense of what time frame they've got left to dive, with a predicted reserve, if they don't head much deeper or exert more.

Besides, even if you DO know your SAC rate, can do the mental calculation for depth, etc..., unexpected currents & other complications can jack up your SAC, little different from the problem with relying on GTR.

Another issue is that gas planning often relies to some extent on having a good idea of your dive profile before you splash. Many divers only have a very rough idea (e.g.: max. depth), but either follow a guide, or if shore diving or buddy diving as a pair, may dive in, looking around, and decide to head along whatever part of the reef looks the most lush. If you dive in and decide to work along the reef at 40 feet instead of 60 feet, an advance pre-dive gas plan just went out the window.

I find GTR useful, on the condition that I am mindful of its limitations.

Richard.

The bigger concern we have right now is something that no manufacturer has been able to do yet, which is manage lots of bottles at once. I want a right button screen on my Shearwater to come up with a list of tank pressures when I cycle to it and to show all of them. Not sure if it's there yet, we shall see, but it's on AUP to get the price and size of those transmitters down to something reasonable if they want to penetrate that market

The Mares Icon shows you a list of all your gasses (3). I'll have to double check if it gives current tank pressure for all connected tx's. It will also automatically suggest a better mix during the dive based on what you've programmed in the dive plan. I haven't used the gas switch feature yet, but IIRC from the manual, it won't let you select a gas that could tox you. >1.6 ppo2.

Their next firmware update is supposed to support Trimix. It will be interesting to see what that update will be. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Mares switches to Buhlmann 16 w/ GF's and supports helium, it will be the perfect computer for any OC diver. At $600 including the tx on LP every now and then... Hard to beat that.

But, I'm glad to see SW offer AI. If Mares doesn't make some smart moves, I may switch to a Perdix AI at the completion of ART. Although, I'd really want to see 3 gas support. I'm confident the SPG will be a thing of the past if manufacturers put forth a good effort in tx R&D. And more competition is great for us, the consumer.

Last edited:
@tbone1004 I confirmed the Icon shows you a screen of all available gases, o2%, MOD and tank pressure.

image.jpeg

I can't speak for all Suuntos, but can assure you that the Eon takes into consideration ascent time and all stops with its GTR

Thank you for correcting me. I thought they might have fixed this issue when I wrote that statement, which was based on the older computers such as the Cobra and the older Vyper Air last time I looked into this.

The last time I checked, the Liquivision Lynx did not properly calculate the air time to include the ascent, but the Atomic Cobalt did. I would avoid those computers that do not include the ascent time in the air time calculation.

Last edited:
With the greatest respect, you're obviously out of date. Often it's the user not the computer, and frankly if they cant grasp what a simple computer is telling them then there is no hope when you get to the higher end. All manufacturers require the user to RTFM

As for conservatism, this has been debated to death. An awful lot of misinformation is regurgitated on this subject. While sRGMB does have some limitations specifically with Suunto nannying users - giving them more room for error without hurting themselves on some entry level computers, I think you'll as you move up the range this doesn't happen. I know this from over 200 dives on my machine diving along side those with OSTC units on planned deco dives

Personally, based on my own experience seeing other divers trying to figure out their Suuntos, and being asked by Suunto using divers to help them figure out THEIR computers (and giving up after trying to play with them for a while) my Atomic Cobalts/Oceanic DataMax Pros are light years ahead of Suunto in the 'intuitive to understand' category. Suuntos remind me of operating a computer via a random series of 'DOS 'F key' commands...OK for a super computer nerd, not OK for a typical end user non-geek.

I'm going to check this out at DEMA. Given that they now have the hardware in place, if they can keep track of two transmitters, they should be able to provide the pressure of each tank simultaneously. In addition, if someone can put together a transmitter that is essentially a stub, then I think this would be quite attractive to even some sidemount divers. Given that the transmitter would be much closer to the dive computer than for backmount singles/doubles, the power needed for transmission should be significantly less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom