Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJ:
Your friend should have known something was wrong when the SPG needle did not move.

Agree 100%. Was pointing out that SPGs and everything else fail in a variety of different ways.

AJ:
As far as I'm concerned, it does'nt matter which way you are able to check air supply, just check it regurlarly so you know when something is wrong. Mechanic or AI does not matter. Both can give wrong information.

Again, I agree. The sentiment I don't agree with (which you don't seem to be pushing) is that if you use AI you need an SPG backup, but if you use an SPG no backup is necessary.

I was not really impressed with the attachment options that come with it. The straps seemed cumbersome to get snapped and I could never get the chord tied off so it gave the amount of slack/stretch that I wanted. (Needed it tighter against skin and looser with a 3mm suit was going to be used).
Anyway to that end I am going to use a couple of three ring zulu straps and see how that works. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has done something other than the strapping methods that are included?
20170517_184515_zpsuidft9e6.jpg
20170517_184501_zps0kxwhpft.jpg
20170517_184452_zpsfe1cqodm.jpg

I use straps like that on my watch-style computers. I am currently using the stock elastic straps on my Perdix and don't like them all that much. But, if I take them off, it would most likely be to replace them with some adjustable length bungee cord.

Anyone that does NOT want their goofy stupid straps, you can send to me. I will cover shipping.

I like the rubber tubing that they ship with the perdix. It is the easiest for getting on and off. I do have to pull the ends to keep the knots tight from time to time but not while diving, just on the boat before I put it on.

IMG_1777.JPG

I like the rubber tubing that they ship with the perdix. It is the easiest for getting on and off. I do have to pull the ends to keep the knots tight from time to time but not while diving, just on the boat before I put it on.

View attachment 410522
I honestly prefer bungee as that I don't have to tighten regularly (I got tired of that). However, this tubing is probably stronger than the bungee cord I use (I use two separate loops).

Trade offs.....

I tried bungee but what I had didn't stretch as nicely. The rubber is more "friendly". I expect to replace it annually so I bought 7 feet of it to have it on hand and I'm storing it in heavy plastic in the dark. That way I will never find it when I need it.

Do those who use bungee/tubing use this for both dry and wetsuits? I use it for both, in theory. Only used it once so far. Using the straps for now.

Do those who use bungee/tubing use this for both dry and wetsuits? I use it for both, in theory. Only used it once so far. Using the straps for now.

I use bungee, not surgical tubing, and it stays the same whether over my drysuit or wetsuit. I don't have any sort of adjustable knot--just a simple knot as in Ray's picture. So it takes just a few minutes to readjust the knots between drysuit and wetsuit.

I use these knots on all my mounts except one, takes seconds to re adjust from wet to dry.

On the Perdix I just use the standard straps, I have dry glove rings and find it easier.

IMG_4171.JPG

Back
Top Bottom