Should a C-Card be Required to Buy Gear?

Should a c-card be required to be dive gear?

• Yes, definitely, it's the only way for people to make informed choices.

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • Yes, though buying at their LDS once they've signed up for a course should be ok.

Votes: 18 11.1%
  • No, people make mistakes and they'll learn from buying gear twice.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • No, don't even go there.

Votes: 118 72.8%
  • People buy gear? I always rent mine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No opinion.

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So should a c-card be required to buy a portable compressor?

Should a gun be sold to someone without hunter safety class?

I've got a couple of dozen guns, and have never taken a hunter safety course. Why should I have to? I don't even hunt.

As far as scuba gear, no. I believe that I should be able to buy whatever gear and gas I want without some chuckleheaded bureaucrat making my life miserable!

I see no reason for requiring a c-card for either buying equipment or even diving. Whatever somebody does, it is natural selection in action. If he lives, great, if not, an idiot less on the face of the earth (with or without c-card).

The only case when a c-card could be useful is when you buddy with a stranger, and you want to know what to expect from him. But even them, a c-card does not mean much.

If you regulate the $#!& out of diving, the rich will take over and the state will get involved. I did not have to rent cars till i got a license, you can't even rent a car without a license. Diving is a personal activity requiring life support and specialty equipment. I will purchase my own equipment and use it in class or I will NOT get certified. that is not to say i will not dive. There are thousands of unregistered guns whos owners are UN-LICENSED, they still use them. If you make it more difficult for people to dive (to your standards), more people will dive without knowing enough to protect the environment or themselves.
Needing a cert to get a tank filled is a godsend to the activity and I am willing to do my part. If regulations and government get involved, all bets are off. I want to do this because "I" want to.

So should a c-card be required to buy a portable compressor?

someone had to MAKE that compressor, if it can't be bought. . . . .

If you regulate the $#!& out of diving, the rich will take over and the state will get involved. I did not have to rent cars till i got a license, you can't even rent a car without a license. Diving is a personal activity requiring life support and specialty equipment. I will purchase my own equipment and use it in class or I will NOT get certified. that is not to say i will not dive. There are thousands of unregistered guns whos owners are UN-LICENSED, they still use them. If you make it more difficult for people to dive (to your standards), more people will dive without knowing enough to protect the environment or themselves.
Needing a cert to get a tank filled is a godsend to the activity and I am willing to do my part. If regulations and government get involved, all bets are off. I want to do this because "I" want to.

at no point in your rambaling and incoherent response did you even come close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.

i

My policy when questioning the grammar, logic, or coherence of somebody else's post is to double-check my own post. I make sure I have spelled and punctuated correctly, and then, before posting, I ask myself what my post contributes to the thread. Usually the answer is nothing.

The only times I believe you should be asked for your c-card/logbook is when filling with EANx or when asked by an insta-buddy /DM/instructor before a course or supervised dive.

at no point in your rambaling and incoherent response did you even come close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.

i

Thats because he visits and participates in the techie threads

Back
Top Bottom