Should agencies back off of Solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter
Lately I've been saying that I went with my favorite dive buddy. (which is me) Somehow me and my buddy are always on the same page.

My buddy's name is AL ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It is possible to learn tips for diving solo in a class, but all those tips are things a solo diver has figured out for themselves long before they are ready to be diving solo. The most important thing a solo diver needs is a mind set. A mind set that comes only from experience and cannot be taught in a class. A solo class is useless at best and potentially dangerous if it makes someone believe they are ready to dive solo when they are not.

I agree. In many ways, it is a lot like a nitrox class. Everything a diver needs to know about nitrox is in the book. The only additional skill is using the analyzer and those instructions come with the device.

But, knowledge and skills do not produce a C-card. That requires a certification agency and it's instructor.

...But, knowledge and skills do not produce a C-card. That requires a certification agency and it's instructor.

and money.

My buddy's name is AL ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My solo buddy is dyslexic but still dependable. His name is Tony Pank.

The buddy system was a good idea long before PADI existed, and still is.

Despite the "Solo Diver" under my name (which is there partly just to tweak noses :D ), I actually do not feel that solo diving should be officially encouraged; and probably not even taught as a specialty.

I don't think you can "teach" someone to solo dive. Solo diving is a mindset, not a unique set of skills or equipment. Any "tools" a solo course could provide should really already be in your "toolbox" as a diver.

I think the agencies should continue to strongly discourage solo diving.

Otherwise, we'd lose part of that "stealing a cookie from the cookie jar" feeling when ever we solo dive :wink:

And I could no longer use my stock answer when subjected to pointed questions by other divers who see me exit the water alone: "Well, gosh, I had a buddy when I started the dive, but then this 12 foot Tiger appeared so I took off.... I guess I must have swam faster today... Hey, you see him down there tell him I'm ok....ok? :D"

Best wishes.

I dont care what agencies say about my diving.

I dont care what other people say about my diving, unless they are diving with me.

I talk about what I experience on my dives, not how...

Do you think in the future that agencies should stop teaching how evil solo is?

Won't happen until we kill off all the lawyers.

The agencies have to protect themselves from freeding frenzies by lawyers.

President Kennedy gave us a goal of reaching the moon within a decade. I don't see why a president can't also proclaim a goal of eliminating lawyers from our society within a decade.

Last edited:
Won't happen until we kill off all the lawyers.

The agencies have to protect themselves from freeding frenzies by lawyers.

President Kennedy gave us a goal of reaching the moon within a decade. I don't see why a president can't also proclaim a goal of eliminating lawyers from our society within a decade.

Errr - pardon? What exactly do lawyers have to do with solo diving? If you do a solo dive and drown yourself, what is the cause of action? And who sues who?

As for the topic: It's been said by others better than I can put it, but: if you want to dive solo, go on & do it. If you think you need a course / cert card / book / long internet discussion on the topic, you shouldn't be diving solo. The agencies are right to discourage it "officially".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom