Should I go Full Metric from the Start ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're diving mixed teams globally you'll need both. Just like French and English.

Alors, la plongée sous-marine, c'est bilingue. :)

I thought Canada was full metric? People use PSI gauges in the Great White North? I'm utterly shocked! :D
Here in Nova Scotia it's PSI and feet of water, feet of viz (much equipment from the U.S. I guess). Yet metric is used when talking air and water temperatures. With 40 years now in Canada, fortunately I am "bilingual". MPH or KMH, makes no difference.

Here in Nova Scotia it's PSI and feet of water, feet of viz (much equipment from the U.S. I guess). Yet metric is used when talking air and water temperatures. With 40 years now in Canada, fortunately I am "bilingual". MPH or KMH, makes no difference.

the only metric unit I can't "think" in is temperature, it's a complete mind **** for me. I'm bilingual in length, pressure, etc. being an engineer, but I just can't wrap my head around celcius because it's not something I use all the time

the only metric unit I can't "think" in is temperature, it's a complete mind **** for me. I'm bilingual in length, pressure, etc. being an engineer, but I just can't wrap my head around celcius because it's not something I use all the time

16 is 61; 28 is 82

All the rest are derivative guesses based on those. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Whats so hard about 0=Freezing point of Water 100=Boiling point of water ? :gas:

16 is 61; 28 is 82

I like it. I also memorized these handy temperature equivalents:

10C is 50F (nice multiples of 10)
20C is 68F
30C is 86F
40C is 104F (both have "4" in them)
50C is too hot.

Whats so hard about 0=Freezing point of Water 100=Boiling point of water ? :gas:

Actually, for water, freezing=273.15 and boiling=373.15 if you want to get didactic.

I like it. I also memorized these handy temperature equivalents:

10C is 50F (nice multiples of 10)
20C is 68F
30C is 86F
40C is 104F (both have "4" in them)
50C is too hot.
20 points just seems like such a small number to describe such a large shift in temperature. Same for measuring depth in meters. I guess you have to get used to doing everything as fractions/decimals.. e.g. "It's 22.22 degrees outside right now" or "I came up to 6.096 meters and did my safety stop". Just seems odd. I guess you have the option to reduce precision, but personally I think that sounds distasteful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom