Should I go Full Metric from the Start ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Kevrumbo what @RyanT said is what I have to do. I do the math in my head. What I can't do is "think" in celsius which is the key to truly understanding something. No different than having to translate everything in your head for another language vs. being able to think in that language. You are never truly fluent until you can think in another language and that's my problem. Any time I have to develop things in celsius, I always have to convert it in my head or on paper if it has to be super accurate.
With the industry I work in, we are regularly dealing in the 300-2000c range for our ovens and I just can't relate that to anything. Made worse when I travel and get thoroughly confused by the thermostats because seeing 21.8c on the thermostat to me means that it's "roughly room temp", which I know to be somewhere between 19-24, but where in there it falls specifically has to be calculated

@Kevrumbo, I have no trouble doing the conversions in my head. Regardless, I always have to do the conversions from metric to imperial to "visualize" the actual units. Curse the U.S. for raising me in an imperial world! :mad:
Well don't you find it easier "visualizing" and using 200 times 1 bar surface pressure vs 200 times 14.7 psi surface pressure?

As for length in meters, visualize in terms of yards on a football field (1 meter is 1.1 yards) --So "First Down and (just short of) 10 meters to go". . .

Another way to do metric for depth is you think in terms of atmospheres: Imperial is 2=33',3=66',4=99',5=131'.
In Metric it goes 10,20,30,40. So, of you go down 40 meters you're breaking the 130' rule....

@Kevrumbo what @RyanT said is what I have to do. I do the math in my head. What I can't do is "think" in celsius which is the key to truly understanding something. No different than having to translate everything in your head for another language vs. being able to think in that language. You are never truly fluent until you can think in another language and that's my problem. Any time I have to develop things in celsius, I always have to convert it in my head or on paper if it has to be super accurate.
With the industry I work in, we are regularly dealing in the 300-2000c range for our ovens and I just can't relate that to anything. Made worse when I travel and get thoroughly confused by the thermostats because seeing 21.8c on the thermostat to me means that it's "roughly room temp", which I know to be somewhere between 19-24, but where in there it falls specifically has to be calculated
As a suggestion, get used to thinking, reacting to and thermostatically feeling the "language" by switching to Celsius on the weather app for your phone. . .

Do it in whatever you (and your buddies) are diving at the moment. So if you are diving Imperial, it will be taught in imperial, but usually instructors will show you the 'other side'

If you progress to Tech 1 ... switch then (if you haven't already).

Most people I know who dive metric, can easily convert for the unconverted in imperial and be fine anywhere they dive....

_R

I was certified OW and Advanced twenty years and did about 30 dives but then stopped diving. I am starting back again and have projects to do a GUE Fundamental Skills course very soon.

I downloaded the course materiel and started doing the gas management exercices. I have been doing a lot of supplementary reading also. Comparing the Metric and Imperial systems, it appears the Metric is much more simple and intuitive for all aspects of dive planning.

I am thinking of going Full Metric and for instance buying a SPG that reads in Bars instead of PSI.

I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and I realize that probably most potential buddies around me will still be using the Imperial system.

Any thoughts and comments about me taking this route ?

Another way to do metric for depth is you think in terms of atmospheres: Imperial is 2=33',3=66',4=99',5=131'.
In Metric it goes 10,20,30,40. So, of you go down 40 meters you're breaking the 130' rule....
Atmospheres Absolute (ATA) is always easier to figure out from Metric: simply divide meters by ten and add one. In US Imperial, you have to divide feet by 33 and then add one.

So 21 meters is 3.1 ATA, figured out just by looking at it; but would you know just as easily that 70 feet is also 3.1 ATA?

10m is 2.0 ATA;
12m is 2.2 ATA;
15m is 2.5 ATA;
18m is 2.8 ATA;
20m is 3.0 ATA;
21m is 3.1 ATA;
30m is 4.0 ATA;
40m is 5.0 ATA;
50m is 6.0 ATA;
60m is 7.0 ATA etc.

Metric unless you only plan on doing dives where you don't have to think much. If your dive plan is typically fall off the boat with a single AL80 and follow a DM around for a bit before surfacing with 500psi, then it won't matter much.

If you plan on progressing into things like mixed team gas planning on a technical dive, metric is much easier. AL80 is 11L x 200 bar = 2200L, 4400 in a set of doubles. Add in your SAC and your dive plan. Boom, easy math. Calculating turn pressures with dissimilar tanks is much easier when you're thinking in free liters instead of cuft.

As far as "thinking" in metric, most of what we're doing doesn't actually require an understanding of the magnitude of the actual value, just the value itself. At 30m I don't think, "wow, I'm 30m or 100ft below the surface, that means blah blah blah," at 30m I think 4ATA times my SAC times the amount of time means I've used x much gas.

It's just easier.

Metric unless you only plan on doing dives where you don't have to think much. If your dive plan is typically fall off the boat with a single AL80 and follow a DM around for a bit before surfacing with 500psi, then it won't matter much. . .
Even during a simple single tank open water recreational dive, it's still worthwhile to track consumption rate. . .

My Surface Consumption Rate (SCR) after drift diving so many years on holiday in Palau's 28deg C tropical water temp is a personal best 11 litres/min per ATA.

Using this SCR value with a 11 litres/bar tank (i.e. an AL80 Cylinder):

Divide 11 litres/min per ATA by 11 litres/bar equals 1 bar/min per ATA .

-->How much easier, intuitive & advantageous is it to work with "1 bar/min" and the metric system in general for Scuba? Well, the arithmetic can all be figured easily & quickly in your head and on-the-fly:

All my dives were on Nitrox32, averaging 20 meters depth always going with the drift current; 20 meters is 3 ATA (divide 20 by 10 and add 1 gives a depth in atmospheres absolute of 3 ATA).

Therefore at 20 meters, my 1bar/min per ATA gas pressure consumption rate will increase threefold --that is 1bar/min per ATA multiplied by 3 ATA equals a depth consumption rate of 3 bar/min at 20 meters. Hence checking my elapsed bottom time every 10 minutes, I expect to consume 30 bar (3 bar/min multiplied by 10min equals 30 bar), and accordingly I already know my SPG will read 30 bar less in that 10 minute time frame. (If however the actual SPG reading indicates 30% or more consumption than expected, then there is a leak problem or I am physically exerting/breathing harder than normal and probably would consider aborting the dive).

So by the first 10 minutes elapsed time at 20 meters, I expect to be down 30 bar from a full AL80 tank at 200bar, or 170bar remaining actual SPG reading (3bar/min multiplied by 10min is 30bar consumed; and 30bar consumed from 200bar total full tank is the SPG showing 170bar remaining pressure). At the end of another interval of 10 more minutes time drifting along at 20 meters, I've consumed 30bar from 170bar, or 140 bar remaining in tank. And finally after another 10 minute period at the elapsed dive time mark of 30 minutes total, I've consumed 30bar delta from 140bar, or 110bar remaining and nearing half tank.

At 40 minutes elapsed time, I'm ascending off the deep wall into the shallow coral plateau around 9 meters (down 30bar from 110bar, or at 80 bar Minimium Gas Reserve remaining in the tank). And finally at the 45 to 50 minute mark, I'm at 6m and my 3-5min safety stop with 60 to 70 bar left. I surface and I know even before looking at my SPG that I have around 50 bar remaining in my tank.

This is how you should actively use your SCR with your particular tank, knowing how much breathing gas you have left not only on pre-planning, but also during the actual dive at depth, real-time-on-the-fly --all with easier to use metric units . . .additionally, you have a SPG that reads in units of pressure: why not convert your SCR to a Depth Consumption Rate (DCR) in pressure units to make use of it???

In summary & recap: divide your volume SCR (or SAC/RMV rate) by your particular tank's cylinder rating factor to get a figure in pressure units per minute since your SPG reads in pressure units -not volume units. Multiply this SCR in pressure units by your planned depth in ATA, and you'll know what your Depth Consumption Rate (DCR) per minute in pressure units at that depth will be. And the Metric System for Scuba diving makes the arithmetic much easier especially if your pressure Surface Consumption Rate (SCR) turns out to be roundable up to convenient integer like 1 or 2bar/min per ATA.

I've heard of these elusive dual SPGs, but cannot find any for sale today. Does anyone know a source?
They are generally terrible to use. The way the scale is constructed makes them very difficult and confusing to read. Just go bar and convert it as you talk if you are diving with people who use PSI. Bar is far easier to work with in every way other than communicating with divers who insist on PSI.

I have read this thread with much interest. I am an Aussie and we were taught both metric and imperial in our schooling. Personally, it does not make any difference for me. I think the important thing is the user is comfortable with the system. if you are diving with Dive Masters anywhere they should be able to cope with your tank pressure in either units? All my dive computers will run either imperial or metric.

Back
Top Bottom