Should Shearwater add Air Integration to its computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Should Shearwater do AI? Only if they do it right, meaning: keeping their core values high. Would this be a sellable computer? I think if it is done right, the price would be much too high for the market proposed. Tec will not buy it because no need for it and expensive, the recrationals won't buy in large amount because of the price. I think there is no real market for Shearwater AI. Meaning there's no money to make, but a lot of risk of brand loyalty and investement too loose.

We have enough scuba equipment manufacturers peddling junk to satisfy 'customer demand'.... demands that are created by marketing departments selling us a false notion that 'more is better'.

Fallacy: "We have enough scuba equipment manufacturers peddling junk" -- you are begging the question, assuming Shearwater would peddle junk.

Fallacy: "demands that are created by marketing departments selling us a false notion that 'more is better' " You are painting with a broad brush.

. . . and it's not worth going further. You are arguing emotionally, not logically.

Premise: Shearwater has always sold a reliable computer and stood behind its products.

Ergo: If Shearwater offers air-integrated (AI), one may deduce it will be a reliable computer behind which Shearwater will stand.

It is a delicate balancing act since "history" has shown us that when a new Shearwater comes out, they sell fast. Given the interest in AI, they may also expect a larger surge in sales. Therefore, they must make sure their manufacturing can handle the production. That will take time.

With manufacturers like Shearwater meeting demand, and garnering greater market share (an assumption), then others' standards must go up if they want to remain competitive. As much as I adore the Uwatec line, Scubapro's lousy customer service (all in my experience over 16 years) will make me stop buying the Galileo line if I have the same kind of data collecting available in Shearwater.

No emotion. Simple analysis.

Yes, because standards, quality and customer service always go up when companies grow in size... Right??

LMAO.

People just want a Suunto in a Shearwater box. Rec divers buy into the tech diving hype about Shearwater without even understanding why the hype exists...

Yes, because standards, quality and customer service always go up when companies grow in size... Right??

LMAO.

People just want a Suunto in a Shearwater box...//...
and at half the price.

Definitely no.

Definitely, yes

---------- Post added January 10th, 2016 at 02:08 PM ----------

A resounding No

See above

---------- Post added January 10th, 2016 at 02:48 PM ----------

I find the attitude of some that "it shouldn't" with the threat "we will lose respect for the company" very snobbish and arrogant to say the absolute least.

Pompous, condescending, and presumptuous also immediately come to mind

Our tech colleagues want the very best computer, that's what I want too. There are many mediocre AI computers out there, all have defects. I want Buhlmann ZHL-16C with GF and oxygen tracking with the 90 minute elimination half life. I don't need any alarms, mine have been disabled for a long time. I don't see the no lock out as a big deal but it is fine. Though I don't need 5 gases or trimix, I would take those features if that was needed to get AI.

Why does this topic so inflame some of our tech colleagues? I forgot, elitist came to mind too.

---------- Post added January 10th, 2016 at 02:53 PM ----------

People just want a Suunto in a Shearwater box. Rec divers buy into the tech diving hype about Shearwater without even understanding why the hype exists...

BS

Talk about a hit on respect, that pertains nicely to a few of our tech colleagues who have seemed generally thoughtful in most previous posts

Last edited:
Of course, Shearwater could produce a dedicated recreational computer. They could load it with every junk function, novelty and gadget known to diving... after all, that's how many manufacturers operate. They could use the reputation of the Predator/Petrel/Perdix to flog overpriced junk on the unsuspecting recreational divers.

Look at how they describe themselves. Powerful, Simple, Reliable. That is what they are. That's their core mission and belief. Not here's more crap to compete with everyone else who can't match our service, support, and response to our primary market. We'll dilute our brand and reputation with transmitter failures, catering to non thinking divers, and just trying to make a buck with flash and no substance. If you want that and a computer that locks you out, buy something else.

What's with the black & white, all or nothing view on how this would go down? If Shearwater produced a rec. dedicated computer it's fated to be loaded with every junk function, novelty and gadget? Is the assumption good rec. dedicated computers are impossible to make? The #1 tec. computer is great, all rec. computers are crap?

We have enough scuba equipment manufacturers peddling junk to satisfy 'customer demand'.... demands that are created by marketing departments selling us a false notion that 'more is better'.

Speaking of which, just what are these 'junk functions' I keep reading about in posts? Anybody care to list these? One man's 'junk' might be someone else's useful feature.

But 'tech is cool'... So recreational divers want them.

What people are asking for is a Suunto with the name Shearwater on it.... in a 'cool' black case with bolts holding the screen on... and a technical 'heritage' that makes the user seem to be a more accomplished, trained or educated than they actually are...

The same type of customers are evident in every market. Brand label snobs, who want cheap and simple, but want it to look prestige.

What people want is a gimmicky rec computer, wrapped up in the guise of a tech computer, so they can enjoy the illusion of operating an instrument with true technical diving heritage and renown.

If Shearwater took the insides of a ****ty Viper 2 and glued them inside a Shearwater case then people would be salivating and singing praises....

Prestige? Renown? Cool? A newbie OW diver stumbling upon this forum & thread might get the impression the tech. diving community is seem as some prestigious elite basking in the admiration of a bunch of poser wannabe 'stuck in rec. diving' groupies.

What?!?!?

I think the newest divers hardly have an awareness of technical diving, much less an ardent desire to have 'tec. designer gear.' And more advanced divers could get into at least light tec., if that's what they wanted to do. There's no need to fake.

Since some tec. divers on the forum recommend Petrels to fairly new rec. divers as the 'best' dive computers, I hope it's not to encourage them to be image focused posers!

When I see Shearwater computers discussed as a rec. option, the focus tends to be on a durable product with an intuitive interface, highly reliable with convenient Bluetooth data upload to PC and backed by a company with excellent customer service and a strong reputation.

I've yet to hear anyone get excited at the prospect of wearing a, gasp, Shearwater computer on the dive boat and maybe even being mistaken for a technical diver! Woooooooo....

Richard.

P.S.: In communication, there's what you think you say, what you say and what the listener thinks you said. I cannot imagine the way some of these posts came across, at least to me, to be fully accurate to what was intended.

P.S.: In communication, there's what you think you say, what you say and what the listener thinks you said. I cannot imagine the way some of these posts came across, at least to me, to be fully accurate to what was intended.
You are right and it has been pointed out to me that I didn't read all the thread as I should have. I have no dog in the AI fight and honestly thought I was responding in the other thread. My "beef" is that some posters seem to think that SW can work their "magic" at a bargain price so that more recreational divers will buy SW. Some have even made the comment "half the price"

I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Lisa

I don't have a dog in this fight either, but I didn't buy a Petrel because it didn't come with AI. This was a feature I wanted for my type of diving. Eventually someone is going to create a computer that will be better and offer more options to the consumer. There's a few computers out there that are pretty damn close and since there is nothing proprietary about the algorithm, someone could easily duplicate what Shearwater offers (user control of GF's).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom