SI Tech balanced P-valve usage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goldmember

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I will start using a SI Tech balanced P-valve. Before I do, however, I'd like to know a little more about the workings because what's in the manual is not entirely clear to me...

The valve:
When I push the valve on the outside of the suit, I can turn it clockwise as well as counter clockwise. In both cases it seems to lock the button in a slightly lower position than where it is when it's not turned left or right. On the USIA board someone reported that in any of these positions fluid could go from the inside to the outside of the valve.

The manual:
"As the dump valve is under constant pressure while diving, the valve should be closed (turned off) when not used to minimize the risk of leakage. Push the lid down and turn to close (off) and turn to open (on). When using, turn the valve open, then urinate. Turn off when done."

My questions:
- Does the manual text apply to a balanced P-valve as well? Can I not just leave it 'open'
- This leaves the other question: What is 'open'? Or in other words, what do the various settings do in a balanced valve?

Thanks Peter. I had read the thread before. Very informative indeed (especially first post). Unfortunately no information about the particular valve I use...

if its the same as my Sitech, the centre position is open and the other two are closed.

it wasn't a bad valve once it got the bugs worked out of it.

Brendan

Hi Jerry. It's the smaller one...

Back
Top Bottom