single quick release on one shoulder strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Codyjp

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anybody done this? It seems that one buckle would make it a whole lot easier to get out of when back on the boat. I am not a tech/DIR diver so i am not as concerned with it 'killing' me.

any thoughts? Also, is there a good source online to buy these types of things?

When I had my shoulder injury, I had a single QR on my right strap right above the D ring. I bought it at the local fabric store and had a tack & saddle store stitch the webbing onto it for me. I actually unsnapped it underwater to see if it would kill me - which, of course, it didn't.

My shoulder is better now, and I no longer need the QR, so I replaced the webbing with a continuous one.

Rick Inman:
When I had my shoulder injury, I had a single QR on my right strap right above the D ring. I bought it at the local fabric store and had a tack & saddle store stitch the webbing onto it for me. I actually unsnapped it underwater to see if it would kill me - which, of course, it didn't.

My shoulder is better now, and I no longer need the QR, so I replaced the webbing with a continuous one.

which leads me to a second question. where did you get the webbing? The local REI yuppy outfitters only have the soft stuff.

I was actually thinking of putting it right down next to my hip near the plate.

Codyjp:
which leads me to a second question. where did you get the webbing? The local REI yuppy outfitters only have the soft stuff.

I'm sure there are dive shops near Long Beach that carry the stuff in bulk (bought mine locally from a shop that calls it weight belt webbing), or online. You can call these guys, who have it for sure: http://www.fifthd.com/

You don't really need one unless you have some lack of mobility issue. I used one for a while after an injury but I did not do any tech diving during that time and dove with a single for a couple of months while I regained full range of motion without pain. It allwed me to get in and out of my rig without pain but I didn't like it at all. The quick release got in the way of proper d-ring placement and threading the webbing through the buckles resulted in a very thick harness. It would have affected my range of motion, but since it was already impaired because of the injury, it was inconsequential. I went back to a single piece of webbing as soon as could get into the harness again.

~Marlinspike

I like a QR on the left shoulder strap for very cold water/ice diving. The heavy dry suit underwear, shoulder dump, cuff rings, dry gloves and residual effects of a long dive in ice water add up to a mobility issue that makes it a lot easier to get out of the harness after a dive.

Getting it in the right spot is the trick as you do not want it to interfere with D-ring placement. But properly placed just below the D-ring, it is accessible with either hand and is generally out of the way.

I have never had a 2" fastex buckle break, even in much more demanding conditions than diving, so there is no real problem with breakage. And if it did, the waist strap and right shoulder strap will still hold things in place so it isn't going to result in your untimely death.

Codyjp:

That's where I wear mine, about 8" up the strap from the plate on the left side. It sits just behind the bodies centerline, any farther back then that and it's harder to release.
Why the Left? Because in the very unlikely event it does break, the stage bottle will keep the rig in place.
I just use weight belt webbing available from any dive supply.
Next time I may try the softer webbing ( anyone try the the milspec stuff??) http://www.diveriteexpress.com/hardware/tubing.shtml

CIBDiving:
Next time I may try the softer webbing ( anyone try the the milspec stuff??)
I tried some H brand webbing which was softer than the normal stuff I got at my LDS or that came with my Fred T BP, and I didn't like it at all. Besides the kit not feeling as "one" with me and secure on my back (wiggles around easier), it's a not as easy to move the kit on the surface with the softer webbing. The firmer stuff holds D rings in place better, makes a better backing for back-up lights, is easier to get in and out of, etc. JMO, YMMV.

... so hope you don't mind me piping up...

I recently bought an old (classic?) plastic backpack and wing that I plan to use for a travel BC. It came with stiff webbing and a weight belt buckle on the left shoulder strap.

I thought I'd mention this as an alternative to the QR buckle because the weight belt buckle is simpler, made for stiff webbing, and there's no sewing involved. Besides, if you're into the classic good looks of a hog rig, a weight belt buckle won't look out-of-place.

And flipping up the paddle on a weight belt buckle is easier than pinching the sides of a QR buckle.

Also, if there is someone out there wanting a buckle but not trusting plastic, you could get a stainless steel weight belt buckle.

Keep in mind that I havn't dove it yet, so there may be issues I'm not aware of, but I suspect that a lot of 'old-timers' have used this set-up.

Rick Inman:
When I had my shoulder injury, I had a single QR on my right strap right above the D ring.

Rick, I'm having a hard time picturing this.

Do you have any photos with this rig setup so I can get a visual?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom