SM with warm water / travel reg vs. APEKS XTX50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mainly because of weight restrictions when flying. I've seen people be 1 lb overweight on a checked bag, and be charged $50 (IIRC).
One of the main reason why "travel equipment" is in demand because of straight weight restrictions . Yes, we all knew that. But as I had said why using a bulky bag(4-5kg) after saving 400g on equipment?

There are so call travel bc, regs, fins etc etc so there must be demand for them. And the questions on light weight equipment do pop up from time to time.
What I don't understand is the saving of 400g and then place everything in a bulky dedicated scuba bag.
This is just a pure assumption. I travel utter lean and leight weight - believe me, I do not travel with any unnecesaary gram (and jetties are on the way to be replaced as stated before).

I bought Mares X-stream for my wife, they are very light, they actually float, I don't know if there are lighter ones in the market but they are to be considered if you wan't light fins.

I have two bricks as fins, but can't complain about them.

What is the weight restriction are we talking about here? Is the 50lb/23kg still there or has it been reduced? Somehow, I have never had issue with weight flying to SE Asian destination for dive trip. Maybe the location I visit isn't exotic enough

What is the weight restriction are we talking about here? Is the 50lb/23kg still there or has it been reduced? Somehow, I have never had issue with weight flying to SE Asian destination for dive trip. Maybe the location I visit isn't exotic enough

Some locations will have lower limits if they're flying a smaller plane. But I had to put some of my gear in my carry on to keep under the 50lb limit.

As per initial post, we talk about 7kg here (carry on) only -nothing to do with exotic destination. This includes clothes, etc. as well. So 400g per 1st stage (times 2 for double tank SM) and lighter 2nd stages really matters. My current BM setup is below 5.5kg already.

is check in allowed? can all non-breakable item go into check in? If check in is not allowed, 7kg total is going to be tough. A minimalistic BC is probably 3kg already, + fins, suit, misc safety item, it will go over 7kg easily. In this case saving 0.4kg probably doesn't help either.

Last time I visited Thailand, I stuffed Al Bp/w with STA, 30lb wing, single BM reg set, DUI30/30 drysuit + usual misc item all into a 22" carry on. It is probably over 7kg, but not unreasonably heavy. Fins, clothing and toiletry item went into check in (well under 50lb/23kg of limit at that time). Knowing I have a piece of check in, weight saving was never in my thought. I can see if I am going to cold place for diving, I will need to consider weight saving.

Just curious, the 5.5kg is for BM double for single? I just measure my brass back mount single, standard Hog/DIR kit with drysuit hose, it is 6lb (2.7kg) exactly. 1st stage is Mk25, 2nd stages are G250v. Adding another Mk25 (1.5lb) make BM double. Total of 7.5lb => less than 3.5kg. so what did you in your BM kit?

I guess it depends much on the circumstances. Here in SEA, most airlines allows 7kg carry-on only (checkin luggage not an option for multiple reasons). Are you below 7kg?

In my case, 3kg in my current reg / BC setup, another 2kg for jetties and not to forget: computer, lamp, smb, divealert and mask. Not much room for heavier equipment (to explain where I come from).

Breaking the reg / BC 3kg further down,
- 1.6kg OMS BC with minimalistic hog harness (reducing further down with Oxycheq 18)
- 1.3kg for 1st stage / 2x 2nd stage / hoses

is check in allowed? can all non-breakable item go into check in? If check in is not allowed, 7kg total is going to be tough. A minimalistic BC is probably 3kg already, + fins, suit, misc safety item, it will go over 7kg easily. In this case saving 0.4kg probably doesn't help

Every case is different (those I made my case clear in the initial post). I only dive above 25 degree and those dive much lighter (no wetsuit, minimal BC).

Last time I visited Thailand, I stuffed Al Bp/w with STA, 30lb wing, single BM reg set, DUI30/30 drysuit + usual misc item all into a 22" carry on. It is probably over 7kg, but not unreasonably heavy. Fins, clothing and toiletry item went into check in (well under 50lb/23kg of limit at that time).

No offense but we dont talk about going to Thailand once in a while but going diving in SEA every other 2..3 weekends. While it is the hell easy to stuff everything into 23kg checkin luggage, it is not so much for strict 7kg hand carry on ONLY. That was the whole point of me getting an ultra light regulator, setting up an ultralight DIY BC, etc. and now moving into SM, evaluating if I can stay with my Mikron or shall consider well known SM regs.

Just curious, the 5.5kg is for BM double for single? I just measure my brass back mount single, standard Hog/DIR kit with drysuit hose, it is 6lb (2.7kg) exactly. 1st stage is Mk25, 2nd stages are G250v. Adding another Mk25 (1.5lb) make BM double. Total of 7.5lb => less than 3.5kg. so what did you in your BM kit?

Please see my above breakdown on the weights. the 5.5 is ALL equipment together. Fins as per Andi's comment offer the best weight saving potential for my already light setup, while I will gain more through the APEKS DST(I made up my mind I guess).

Last edited:
OP, How often do you find the airlines actually weigh your carry on? I fly Jetstar/Air Asia/Tiger frequently and I have yet to have them actually weigh my carry on. I also shuttle between Thailand/Sing/ and the Phils every week. Another option might be just to leave a second set of gear in Phuket if that's where you mostly dive. Rent a room or space and just leave it there. It's much nicer when all you bring is the dive computer and nothing else.

Another alternative is use your laptop bag to hold a few things, mask, spools, SMB, etc. You are entitled to you personal bag as well as the carry on. Look into some of the ultralight backpacking bags, something like: 2400 Porter at 1.9lbs (take the Al stays out and save a bit more)
Replace any string in your gear with spectra cord, go to Ti D-Rings on your gear, make sure your bladder is uber dry, etc. Get Ultra-light quick dry clothes, take a look at the ultra-light backpacking communities for ideas. I get my packs for a 7 day trip down to 35lbs with everything including food. Grams count, anything useless like mfg labels gets removed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom