Suggestion So where do you want Snorkeling accident reports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
News stories often just say that a diver was involved, sometimes a skindiver which can be taken either way, so we often don't even know early is discussions. Posting stories with little info often attracts more info from others tho, but if we wait for complete stories - we often won't get them.

Freediving, snorkeling, shallow water blackout accident stories from the news have long been posted in A&I, but I don't care. Where do you want them posted, or moved?

Yeah, I am well aware that the board is named Scubaboard but we do have the Snorkeling / Freediving forum, so that argument fails. If you want to move Freediving accident stories there, cool - please do.

Thanks

Threads are not only discussions, as others have mentioned, they're placeholders for incidents, whether it's for people looking for information, accident statistics or somewhere to debunk bad information going around. IMO if an incident is publicly labelled in a way that include the word "diving" it would also be applicable, particularly if the press has created that association with the general topic in at least some people's minds, whether it's an accurate association or not.

By helping to tabulating incidents, Don is providing a service which is valuable to ScubaBoard and the dive community. I think the complaints are just another version of the "I don't think anyone should talk about accidents (unless they're ones I'm specifically interested in)" which aren't appropriate to a discussion forum about accidents. They'd be more appropriately relegated to Whine and Cheese.

People interrupt threads to post their jibberish all the time (hello pot :wink:). That was what I viewed Ron's posts in the other thread as. Nothing but clutter and easy enough to ignore. He feel this way. Who cares. It is an opinion which we are free to discuss or not. It does not mean we never agree with him. It is one opinion.

I say keep posting away Don and if SB takes formal exception with these posts then you will find out when they get deleted. At that point you can ask if a ruling has been reached. Until then, I, like many others will simply ignore the threads if they are not of interest to me.

A&I is a good place for free diving accidents. Some people put free diving in the same class as snorkeling, tell it to those guys nailing grouper at 100 ft. May as well keep all the speculation in one place. Where was his buddy, did he drop his weight belt, was he free diving with his snorkel in his mouth, was it shallow water blackout. OK there's a start

Back
Top Bottom