So you want to take your kid diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I briefly reviewed the DAN 2008 Annual Diving report that is available online. Just the basic facts, the most common cause of death related to scuba was drowning at 85%. Contributing factors that may have led to the drowning are cardiac disease (38%), hypertension (11%), and obesity with the percent victims significantly overweight (38%) and simply overweight (38%). Interstingly the peak month was July, and the number of years dived was most significant at over 10 years certified. I will quote Ken Kurtis, "state only what you know." We can speculate to the cows come home but they are simply opinion not fact.

In regards to my kids scuba diving, I personally don't think that it is any more dangerous than other strenuous activities or other sports that have an inherent risk of injury. Yes, being underwater and the potential hazards and injury are inherent to scuba diving, but are really any different than say motorcycle dirt bikes with your kids? I love to snow ski as well. The lift ticket clearly states skiing is a hazardous sport. Then again, so is driving. As previous posters have indicated there is a possibilty of dying in a fatal car crash. National Transportation Safety data is 90,000 deaths/year on average related to fatal motor vehicle accidents. Should we not drive with our kids?

Getting back to snow skiing, what about the affect of altitude, cold, and exertion? If cardiovascular disease is clearly the most common non-scuba related conditions contributing to death then should I not ski with my kids because I might have a fatal heart attack on the slopes? And let's be clear, you may be on land and not in danger of drowning, but trust me, the time delay to get down the mountain with ski patrol and into and ambulance and then the hospital can also be the difference between surviving and dying.

Overall life itself is a terminal condition. As parents we should expose our kids to various activities but never forget each activity has its own inherent risks. The trick is to get the kids to understand and respect those risks. I alway wear a helmet when skiing and always ski in control. I can't ask my kids to do the same if I don't set the example first. I will let my 8 year old try the bubble maker class when we go to Turks and Caicos this summer, but only if she wants to try it. And only then with proper supervision and training. My 13 year old really wants to try the introduction to scuba class. We will talk about safety, and she will be exposed to scuba under proper supervision and training. For our purposes, staying in 20-30 feet water is just fine. When organizing scuba deaths per depth on the DAN article, this had the smallest percent, while depths 65-100 had the hightest death occurences. And with her certification, I wouldn't expect her to my 'buddy' the same way I would look at diving with another adult diver. We can teach her to share air with an octopus, but she is in no way able to handle other more serious problems should they arise. Come to think of it, neither are some adults! She will accompany me and another adult diver who is also and experienced diver.

Life is meant to be enjoyed. I would like to pass this on to my kids and yes, some of those activities have risks. I will also tell them to buckle up and drive safe because everything we do has risk, it it more a question of perspective.

fun and safe diving. sorry if this is a little long.

Well, this was my initial thought process:

Say I were hiking along the top of a mountain ridge, then just bombed down the open face of it on my snowboard and caught an edge and started tumbling down. Maybe I'll break both my legs, an arm, and get a concussion (for example). What now? I lay there in pain with the possibility of hypothermia. I know I'll have a few hours to live or find rescue. If someone found me, they can rig me up somehow and bring me to safety, and it might just be a painful ride... but I'll live.
... that's in Colorado, where the snow's nice and fluffy. Try that in Vermont and you'll find out why they coined the term "brain pizza" ... and it's usually terminal.

Diving scenario: I black out for whatever reason at 100' depth. I can now drown in about a minute. A buddy sees me and decides to bring me up. If there's any air in my lungs, I'll probably have a lung over-expansion, which is deadly - and we'll both get bent - also severly threatening (possible lifelong paralysis) or deadly.
Not really. If you're blacked out, your biggest risk is drowning. When you pass out, your jaw relaxes and the reg can fall out of your mouth. If that happens, your next breath will be water.

If you're unconscious and your reg's in your mouth, the risk of lung over-expansion injury is very slim, because your muscles will be relaxed, which means your throat will be open ... air will be escaping naturally as it expands in your lungs.

DCS is very unlikely at recreational depths and profiles, even if you come up a bit too fast ... and even if you do manage a DCS hit, it's unlikely to be the type that results in paralysis or death. The far more common, and very treatable type would affect your slower tissues, like joints. It might hurt, but prompt treatment will quite likely result in a full recovery.

That's where I got my reasoning for things getting very bad very quickly while underwater. A car accident would be more like the snowboarding accident (unless it's an instant death, but I'm guessing instant death in car accidents is a relatively small percentage). You'll still most likely have quite a while to live, whereas in diving, you only have minutes... and you're already in the most foreign and harshest environments for humans.

The problem with car accidents is that you're far more likely to die from someone else's stupidity than from your own ... and you have absolutely NO control over how someone else chooses to operate their vehicle ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Contributing factors that may have led to the drowning are cardiac disease (38%), hypertension (11%), and obesity with the percent victims significantly overweight (38%) and simply overweight (38%). Interstingly the peak month was July, and the number of years dived was most significant at over 10 years certified. I will quote Ken Kurtis, "state only what you know." We can speculate to the cows come home but they are simply opinion not fact.

Well, assuming you have none of the above, I think speculating is the way to go.:D Much of keeping your children safe, comes from an intimate knowledge regarding how they make decisions, and then impacting how they think through preventing an accident. (When I would leave the house, I'd tell my son: NO FLIPPING off the pool chairs! etc) Because I knew neck injuries, diving, are right up there probablity wise for pre-teen boys, etc. Both of my children grew up in Hawaii, ocean kayacking, surfing dangerous neaches.....trust me, there is tons of speculating in effective parenting around the ocean.

In fact, that is really all you have many days. I'd approach it from identifying the statistical risk, and then combine that with their individual propensities. One of the biggest dangers is trusting *not so smart* adults by following blindly.

Just quick follow up to last post. Check out the stats of factors contributing to drowing. Underlying heart disease and being overweight/obese are bigger factors than scuba related injuries DCS/AGE. And while scuba has its risk, clearly being in shape for activity on hand is a much bigger issue. To me the best way to reduce the risk of dying while scuba is to lose weight and get in shape. Numbers don't lie.

Last edited:
Well, assuming you have none of the above, I think speculating is the way to go.:D Much of keeping your children safe, comes from an intimate knowledge regarding how they make decisions, and then impacting how they think through preventing an accident. (When I would leave the house, I'd tell my son: NO FLIPPING off the pool chairs! etc) Because I knew neck injuries, diving are right up there for pre-teen boys, etc. Both of my children grew up in Hawaii, ocean kayacking, surfing dangerous neaches.....trust me, there is tons of speculating in effective parenting around the ocean.

I was actually reffering to speculating on the risk factors and how they contributed to the drowing. Also about why the month of July by far has the most deaths, almost all the other months combined. My guess is that is when the most divers are in the water on vacation, but just a guess.

Also agree on keeping the kids safe and speculating on what their next stupid stunt will be. Just cringe when I catch my son jumping off chairs, bed, sofa etc. Any screasming until I'm red in the face last only a little while and then the rascal is back at it again. Have always said, "it's amazing I survived my youth."

Hey guys On the dive front heck I'm hardly able to comment on injury/dive hour ratio.
What I AM able to comment on is that PEOPLE deal with incidents through to life or death situations differently regardless of their age. I've seen a 12 year old act and react in an utterly profficient manner,reacting calmly and doing what was needed.
I've seen grown men utterly fall to pieces or panic.
The kicker is that you don't actually know how people are going to deal with a situation untill they are having to deal with it.
Theres a valid arguement that a 12 year old girl isn't physically able to do what an adult malke can. I aggree with that of course.
The counter arguement is that I'd rather any day have a calm 12 year old reacting in the right manner than a panicking adult.
ALL THAT SAID -- Regardless of age or sex . Surely training is the key. Teaching the correct way to deal with difficult situations.
Also it comes down to common sense really.Why on earth would you do a difficult dive with a novice dive buddy regardless of age

Last edited:
See, I could argue that correct thinking (prevention) is even more important than training?

See, I could argue that correct thinking (prevention) is even more important than training?

I hope that most training is much ado about prevention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom