Solo without drysuit- not OK with SDI for solo cert??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AnnSul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hiya, fellow solo divers. . .

I have an issue I hope you can help me with. I've been solo diving for decades, and want to get my C card in solo simply because I love to dive >local pay quarry<, and I'm tired of sneaking into and out of the water with a group.

The issue is this - I am NOT a drysuit diver. Tried 'em. Don't like 'em. I prefer the ability to ditch my weights and having the tiny bubbles take over - aka neoprene.

In the SDI solo class that I took, they said for the check out dive we need a redundant form of buoyancy. I asked if I could wear my snorkeling vest with my regular wing, he said no (oral inflator only).

Anyone out there have to deal with this? I suppose I could upgrade to a twin bladder, but. . .$$

Hiya, fellow solo divers. . .

I have an issue I hope you can help me with. I've been solo diving for decades, and want to get my C card in solo simply because I love to dive >local pay quarry<, and I'm tired of sneaking into and out of the water with a group.

The issue is this - I am NOT a drysuit diver. Tried 'em. Don't like 'em. I prefer the ability to ditch my weights and having the tiny bubbles take over - aka neoprene.

In the SDI solo class that I took, they said for the check out dive we need a redundant form of buoyancy. I asked if I could wear my snorkeling vest with my regular wing, he said no (oral inflator only).

Anyone out there have to deal with this? I suppose I could upgrade to a twin bladder, but. . .$$

Just get yourself a DSMB ... that counts as redundant buoyancy if it's big enough (usually 30 lbs or more of lift) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Strange. I didnt own a drysuit when I did my cert in SDI solo diving, suggesting this stipulation is not part of the official standards. Or, perhaps the instructors have leeway on this. I see no reason for a redundant buoyancy device unless diving a rig that you can't swim up, e.g. steel doubles. But if your instructor insists, go with the inflatable SMB as suggested.

Bob is correct - I am SDI Solo Certified and I had to have a redundant lift capability. I bought a 50lb lift bag . . . 'cause that's what my LDS had in stock. :)

Redundant buoyancy is required. Dry suit is not. A lift bag or SMB will suffice and is much less expensive than a dual bladder wing.

I've taught many solo classes. Redundant buoyancy is not a requirement for the SDI solo class, unless conditions warrant it. I do not feel that 80 degree water tropical single tank solo requires it, but we do discuss it. As with other types/conditions, can you ascend without a BCD in your typical gear configuration? If you typically wear twin 120's in fresh water in a 3 mil, I'd say you need redundant buoyancy. If you wear a 7 mil and an aluminum 80 with 20 lbs of lead on a weight belt, I'd say no. Your instructor can help you answer those questions, and I'd say he has....

Last edited:
Why would an oral inflating snorkeling vest be disallowed, but a smb be allowed?

Don't mean to throw a wet towel here but anyone who is a solo diver should have already figured this one - redundant inflation - out.

Most of us solo divers carry back-up everything. I've lost a fin once 3,000 feet back in a cave, so would carry a backup one of those if I could figure out where to stash it. I just had a new explorer-grade wing go because a factory-installed grommet cut the bladder, so losing inflation at depth is going to happen.

Most divers, solo or not, run thru a "what if" list before most dives. What if my reg fails? What if a burst disc blows? What if I lose my mask? What if I lose the boat? You know the routine.

Be thankful that you looked into the solo course, as it has alerted you to one of the "what ifs" that you obviously weren't covering. That's always a good thing to find out "on land" as a diver.

And one last thing: This is YOUR life you're talking about, so spend some money and get the right gear for the dives you're doing. Don't become another diver fatality because of something you could have controlled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom