Solo without drysuit- not OK with SDI for solo cert??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've taught many solo classes. Redundant buoyancy is not a requirement for the SDI solo class, unless conditions warrant it. I do not feel that 80 degree water tropical single tank solo requires it, but we do discuss it. As with other types/conditions, can you ascend without a BCD in your typical gear configuration? If you typically wear twin 120's in fresh water in a 3 mil, I'd say you need redundant buoyancy. If you wear a 7 mil and an aluminum 80 with 20 lbs of lead on a weight belt, I'd say no. Your instructor can help you answer those questions, and I'd say he has....

Just goes to show the different environments. While standards allow a single cylinder with h-valve, I don't. My solo students have to have at minimum a pony bottle for redundancy. With that in mind, I also require redundant buoyancy.

Redundant buoyancy is required. Dry suit is not. A lift bag or SMB will suffice and is much less expensive than a dual bladder wing.

I have a lift bag, and I have a Pelican marker buoy, and I have an old window counterweight wrapped with line with a float. . .

I see how a lift bag would serve as a fun ride to the surface, but how the heck would a marker buoy serve as an alternative buoyancy device? Maybe as an up-line, if I tie it off, but otherwise it just has a little 1/2 pound weight.

Now I have a suspicion that the instructor either has dependency issues (on gear to bail you out) or has stock in the LDS that sponsored the class.

You can see the requirements here:
http://wedivebc.we.bs/SDI_Solo_Diver_Specialty.pdf
They do not list redundant buoyancy, but do require deployment of a surface marker.
An SMB should suffice.

Wow. Thanks for posting this. He also said we'd do a free ascent from 30 feet, and that's not on there. Actually, I'm not TOO worried about that. That's a long time to hum, but I'm no spring chickie.

It's just tough to get over to the quarry to practice.

Why would an oral inflating snorkeling vest be disallowed, but a smb be allowed?

I think I stumped him on that. Most of the divers around here dive dry, and he probably has taught classes full of them. I'm an anomaly. Wetsuit, analog gauges, big freakin' knife.

Prolly should get back to him, and see if he'd consider it. I know and trust the gear I use. I don't want to have to learn to dive a drysuit, and be stressed about it.

Why would an oral inflating snorkeling vest be disallowed, but a smb be allowed?

I would guess most snorkeling vests do not have an Over Pressure Valve, like BC's, wings & SMB's or lift bags(some of these the extra expanding air can just leak out of the bottom) do & the vests aren't the easiest to control how much air goes out. If ascending & can't get the air out fast enough,.... then POP! there goes your redundant buoyancy also. As the others have mentioned, you can use a double bladder wing, sandwich another wing with the original or use an SMB or lift bag. Its not exactly rocket science.

I would guess most snorkeling vests do not have an Over Pressure Valve, like BC's, wings & SMB's or lift bags(some of these the extra expanding air can just leak out of the bottom) do & the vests aren't the easiest to control how much air goes out. If ascending & can't get the air out fast enough,.... then POP! there goes your redundant buoyancy also. As the others have mentioned, you can use a double bladder wing, sandwich another wing with the original or use an SMB or lift bag. Its not exactly rocket science.

Some of the vests had OP valves and some of the newer ones, late 70's had a "normal" type inflator/deflator same as we use now on BC's.

I never tried to use both during a dive however.

Some of the vests had OP valves and some of the newer ones, late 70's had a "normal" type inflator/deflator same as we use now on BC's.

I never tried to use both during a dive however.

Yeah, there's that. Too bad the old Parkway Horsecollar bladder is shot.

I have a lift bag, and I have a Pelican marker buoy, and I have an old window counterweight wrapped with line with a float. . .

I see how a lift bag would serve as a fun ride to the surface, but how the heck would a marker buoy serve as an alternative buoyancy device? Maybe as an up-line, if I tie it off, but otherwise it just has a little 1/2 pound weight.

You don't have to completely inflate the lift bag or SMB. Put just enough air into it to keep you neutral. Pull the dump cord as you ascend to keep it neutral. When I dive wet (which is very rare), I bring along a lift bag for redundant buoyancy. And I'm diving several thousand feet back into a cave.

)I bring along a lift bag for redundant buoyancy. And I'm diving several thousand feet back into a cave.

Holy Toledo!!! That's some serious planning! Thanks for the input.

I'll run that by the instructor and see if it's okay... I'm hoping he just had to digest the idea that not everyone dives dry. We were at Dutch Springs in Bethlehem, PA today, and I was fine and dandy with my Pinnacle Merino 5mm.

Back
Top Bottom