Solomons in November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silent running

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all, anybody been to the Solomons/Tulagi Dive area in early November? How's the weather then? And is there enough diving within range of Tulagi Dive to keep one occupied for say 10-12 days? I'm diving with a closed circuit rebreather so the liveaboards in that area are not an option. Thanks, -Andy

Just returned from Gizo & Uepi in the Solomons. Ross at Dive Gizo says they have the most dependable weather in November. Little rain. Wonderful, pristine dive sites & more fish than you can imagine, plus macro.

zendee:
Just returned from Gizo & Uepi in the Solomons. Ross at Dive Gizo says they have the most dependable weather in November. Little rain. Wonderful, pristine dive sites & more fish than you can imagine, plus macro.

Thanks for the info zendee, -Andy

I dived with Tulagi divers in 2004. It was the middle of the year, so I can't comment on the weather in Nov. In terms on diving, there will definately be enough to keep you occupied, especially if you are diving CCR. There are some big wrecks there, in particular the Aaron Ward that is in 70m and the Kanonwa (?spelling) that is in 50ish metres of water. There's also another wreck in the harbour right near the resort that is in 40m but is very affected by rain/run off unlike the other dives. We got on it and had about 2m of viz so called the dive, but on all the other dives had a min of 20m viz. The reefs there are also amazing and a favourite dive was Twin Tunnels - two lave tunnels that started at about 20m and went to 40m where you exit onto the wall. The wall continues down about another 30m and you get lots of pelagics in the area. In terms of non-diving stuff there is not really anything to do (no tv, no pool etc), so 10 - 12 days could wear a bit thin if you need some extra entertainment. We were there for 7 days and had a great time.

HTH,
Mel.b

Mel.B:
I dived with Tulagi divers in 2004. It was the middle of the year, so I can't comment on the weather in Nov. In terms on diving, there will definately be enough to keep you occupied, especially if you are diving CCR. There are some big wrecks there, in particular the Aaron Ward that is in 70m and the Kanonwa (?spelling) that is in 50ish metres of water. There's also another wreck in the harbour right near the resort that is in 40m but is very affected by rain/run off unlike the other dives. We got on it and had about 2m of viz so called the dive, but on all the other dives had a min of 20m viz. The reefs there are also amazing and a favourite dive was Twin Tunnels - two lave tunnels that started at about 20m and went to 40m where you exit onto the wall. The wall continues down about another 30m and you get lots of pelagics in the area. In terms of non-diving stuff there is not really anything to do (no tv, no pool etc), so 10 - 12 days could wear a bit thin if you need some extra entertainment. We were there for 7 days and had a great time.

HTH,
Mel.b

Hi Mel, thanks very much for the info. I knew there had to be someone who had dived there.

Mel, did you book your accomodations through a travel agent called Dive Adventures in Austrailia? It seems that there's only one agent and there's no prices on the Tulagi Dive site...

My LDS organised the trip, but yes, it was booked through Dive Adventures and we had no problems at all. Dive Adventures is one of the two major dive travel companies in Australia. The other is www.allwaysdive.com.au so you could also try their website and emailing them to see if they will put together a package for you.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask:D

Mel.b

Mel.B:
My LDS organised the trip, but yes, it was booked through Dive Adventures and we had no problems at all. Dive Adventures is one of the two major dive travel companies in Australia. The other is www.allwaysdive.com.au so you could also try their website and emailing them to see if they will put together a package for you.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask:D

Mel.b

Thanks Mel.b, if you don't mind my asking, where did your trip/LDS originate out of and how much did you pay per day for 2 dives a day and accomodations? -Andy

Hi Andy,

I'm in Victoria, Australia but we flew out of Brisbane which is the only place in Oz to get flights to Honiara. The flight from Melb to Brisbane was not included in the package price.

We had a package (including flight from Bris to Hon return) for 7nights and 10 dives, which was about $1700 AUD...it was a couple of years ago now so i can't remember exactly. Meals are extra but weren't very expensive.

Below are a few photos of the resot to give you an idea. It was pretty basic when we were there but the diving was first class. I haven't done a lot of tropical diving (only really Solomon's and Sipadan) and rate the Solomon's above Sipadan in terms of health and colour of corals plus you have the added bonus of all those deep wrecks :)

Crossing Iron Bottom Sound to get to tulagi. We thought it was like this every day...unfortunately not. On the crossing back to Honaira we all needed a change of clothes!
tulagi29-06028.jpg

The outside of the accomodation
various-photos008.jpg

General area where most of the time is spent
various-photos004.jpg

This gives you an idea of the rooms...
various-photos003.jpg

Mel

Mel.B:
Hi Andy,

I'm in Victoria, Australia but we flew out of Brisbane which is the only place in Oz to get flights to Honiara. The flight from Melb to Brisbane was not included in the package price.

We had a package (including flight from Bris to Hon return) for 7nights and 10 dives, which was about $1700 AUD...it was a couple of years ago now so i can't remember exactly. Meals are extra but weren't very expensive.

Mel

Mel, thanks a heap for the photos and details, very helpful. I had heard that sometimes US divers pay more than Austailians in some parts of the SP, but the rates you quote are in line with what I was quoted. I guess the place is just plain expensive, more so than PNG. One last queestion, was there any place else to eat, other than the resort? -Andy

Back
Top Bottom