SS vs AL backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stainless is ~495 lbs per cubic ft and alum is almost exactly 1/3 as dense, or 165 lbs / cubic ft.

Stainless plates are typically 11 gauge or .115-.118" thick. Aluminum plates are typically 1/8 " or .125 Aluminum is commonly available in either gauge thicknesses or in fractions "plate" thickness. Stainless is much more commonly sold in gauge thicknesses.

A DSS medium SS plate is ~4.75lbs If .115" thick aluminum was used to make the exact same plate it would weigh 4.75/3 = 1.58 lbs for a delta of 4.75-1.58 = 3.17. With the added thickness typical of alum plates the al plate will weigh about 8% more than 1.58 or about 1.72 lbs for a delta of 3.03 lbs.

Keep in mind that the "6 lbs" I routinely use for a back plate includes the harness and it's stainless items, buckle, drings and triglides.

Tobin
This SS back plate is a size large from your web site . This size large is what the OP would need, correct.

"Precision Waterjet cut from heavy 11 gauge (.118” thick) 300 Series Stainless Steel. Large size fits divers 6 ft. 0 in. to 6 ft. 3 in. as well as wider divers. 5.8 lbs."

Your site only offers plastic plates, so using the info from Scubapro an AL plate only weights 2 LBS.

To get back to the OP's question, given that he is going to be diving without a wetsuit most of the time & traveling, an AL plate makes the most sense between SS & AL.

This SS back plate is a size large from your web site . This size large is what the OP would need, correct.

"Precision Waterjet cut from heavy 11 gauge (.118” thick) 300 Series Stainless Steel. Large size fits divers 6 ft. 0 in. to 6 ft. 3 in. as well as wider divers. 5.8 lbs."

Your site only offers plastic plates, so using the info from Scubapro an AL plate only weights 2 LBS.

To get back to the OP's question, given that he is going to be diving without a wetsuit most of the time & traveling, an AL plate makes the most sense between SS & AL.

I guess we should consider this progress. At least you've stopped trying to sell him a jacket BC......

Tobin

When I am taking a dive trip and considering what I am taking, there are times when every pound counts. I regularly get my baggage right up to the limits. I drop weight where I can in order to bring the gear I need. For example, if I will be cave diving, I need to bring a certain amount of weight in reels, spools, lights, cutting devices, batteries, etc. If I am not cave diving, I don't need as much along that line, but I made need some thing else instead. If I am both cave diving and open ocean diving, well, I really need to make some decisions so that I end up, as I usually do, within a pound of that limit.

Going to an aluminum backplate is indeed one way to drop a couple of pounds, as is going with lighter fins. If you only look at ONE of your weight reducing options, you can say, Oh, it's only XX pounds," but by putting all those weight reduction options in place, it can have quite an impact.

My backplate, weights, and 1st stages go in my little backpack carry on. That's almost 19 pounds off of my suitcase weight right there. And my carry on stays small. Batteries have to stay in the device, in my suitcase.

Noone's ever weighed my carry on so all the steel and lead goes in it. Sure I may have to put stuff back together, but that's childs play.

Going to an aluminum backplate is indeed one way to drop a couple of pounds,
The AL backplate is also almost $100 less expensive!

My backplate, weights, and 1st stages go in my little backpack carry on. That's almost 19 pounds off of my suitcase weight right there. And my carry on stays small.

I'm surprised you get the plate and weights past TSA.

Everywhere but the US seems to have clamped down hard on carry on weight. Pretty much all the long haul and short haul flights out of Europe have a 5kg or 7kg carry on limit. Same for Asian airlines. That covers my regs and cameras, but no room for an plates in there....

The fact remains that for the diver who dives cold water at home, and travels, and wants to use *one* back plate for both is almost always better off with a Stainless Steel Plate.

Stainless is the obvious choice for nearly all cold to moderately cold water applications.

Stainless is typically a good fit for warm water divers using at least a 3mm suit and buoyant tanks, which describes a huge slice of travel diving.

IME people that travel to er, uh, well go diving, and are sufficiently interested in having good performing and well fitting gear to bring their own bc along, (vs renting) are willing to either find some other way to save 3 lbs in their baggage, or pay the fee.

Tobin

Tobin

What advantages do you see in a SS plate over an Al plate with 4 lb of lead on the cam bands?

SS will work ALMOST all the time. I had to add a light plate when I dove a steel tank in warm water (FWwas really a problem). If seems to me that aluminum will work ALL time, if you can only have just one.

This is one of those silly discussions. For most but the utmost remote locations you simply pay some additional baggage charge IF the mighty 3 pound weight difference between an Al/Kydex and a SS plate throws you off.

The baggage charge may be $120 back and forth? After spending >2$k on gear (way more if photo stuff is involved) and maybe 3$k on the trip why is that so important?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom