SS vs AL backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobin, so if not on the upper camband, where would you recommend placing a trim weight on a DSS rig so as to preserve the "quick-removal feature"? Tank neck? As I said, with the steel plate I still need 1-2 lbs. somewhere up high to make myself horizontal (and that's with light fins).

A couple points:

Try sliding the cylinder up in the cambands a little.

An ankle weight around the tank neck.

If 1 lbs of trim weight is a make or break item I'd look at technique.

Tobin

Well... maybe.
Someone with very low body fat and no exposure protection may be better off with AL. Using a steel tank may really put you over weight.
I am very much overweighted when diving my LP 108s, a dry suit, and a SS back plate, even though I am sorry to say my very low body fat days are over. I use an aluminum backplate for that, and I suppose I should invest in kydex to help even more.

I am very much overweighted when diving my LP 108s, a dry suit, and a SS back plate, even though I am sorry to say my very low body fat days are over. I use an aluminum backplate for that, and I suppose I should invest in kydex to help even more.

I'm missing something. OMS (faber) 108's are only -1lbs empty. I'd estimate your rig, i.e. 2 x 108's, bands and manifold, SS plate, dual regs, can light to be about - 18lbs with empty cylinders.

Is your drysuit (and you) less than ~18 lbs positive?

BTW, the DSS kydex plates (I'm pretty sure only DSS makes Kydex plates) are about the same as aluminum in dry travel weight, and typically slightly less negative in the water, but not enough to make swapping out a alum plate if your goal is reduced ballast. I selected kydex / stainless for flexibility and corrosion resistance.

Tobin

I'm missing something. OMS (faber) 108's are only -1lbs empty. I'd estimate your rig, i.e. 2 x 108's, bands and manifold, SS plate, dual regs, can light to be about - 18lbs with empty cylinders.
My 108s are XS/Worthingtons. I wear a Santi elite dry suit, and with my SS BP in fresh water I am extremely negatively buoyant at the beginning of a dive.

I did a trip recently in which during a short stretch of time I was going to be diving AL 80 doubles in the ocean with a wet suit and LP 104s in a dry suit in a cave. Being limited on what I could bring via plane, I used my SS BP for both. It helped limit the amount of weight I needed for the ocean, but, man, was I heavy in the cave.

My 108s are XS/Worthingtons. I wear a Santi elite dry suit, and with my SS BP in fresh water I am extremely negatively buoyant at the beginning of a dive.

I did a trip recently in which during a short stretch of time I was going to be diving AL 80 doubles in the ocean with a wet suit and LP 104s in a dry suit in a cave. Being limited on what I could bring via plane, I used my SS BP for both. It helped limit the amount of weight I needed for the ocean, but, man, was I heavy in the cave.

One will always be negative in doubles at the start of the dive, regardless of what cylinders / tanks are used. The Worthingtons will be about 3 lbs more negative than the fabers.

Wetsuits in the ocean with 2 x buoyant al 80's vs 2x negative steels in freshwater is a huge range of application

Having said that I will point out here what I frequently have to point out to those seeking my advise on BP&W selection:

A Back plate and wing is a modular BC. That allows one to optimize the choice of components for a given application. The wider that application becomes the greater the compromises required, or the greater the need for different gear appropriate to the task.

Divers readily accept that they need to match their exposure protection to the conditions but expect a single combination of back plate and wing to be ideal from the equator to the arctic.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom