SS vs AL backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobin

What advantages do you see in a SS plate over an Al plate with 4 lb of lead on the cam bands?

SS will work ALMOST all the time. I had to add a light plate when I dove a steel tank in warm water (FWwas really a problem). If seems to me that aluminum will work ALL time, if you can only have just one.

I prefer having the ballast down against my back vs higher up, and adding pockets or block weight to the cambands effectively defeats the quick removal feature of the DSS system.

and adding pockets or block weight to the cambands effectively defeats the quick removal feature of the DSS system.

"Defeats" is kinda harsh. I use the XS Scuba trim weight pockets on my DSS rig's cambands, and it's no big hassle. Even if I am perfectly weighted buoyancy-wise with the steel plate, I still like to put a 1-lb. weight in each of two trim pockets on the upper camband to help me achieve better trim. I snug the pockets up close to the plate.

"Defeats" is kinda harsh. I use the XS Scuba trim weight pockets on my DSS rig's cambands, and it's no big hassle. Even if I am perfectly weighted buoyancy-wise with the steel plate, I still like to put a 1-lb. weight in each of two trim pockets on the upper camband to help me achieve better trim. I snug the pockets up close to the plate.

Do as you please. It's remains my experience that more "stuff" there i son the cambands the less likely a diver is to remove their wing from their plate. That's not in their best interest.

Tobin

I use 11 inch lengths of soft 2" webbing with Velcro glued to each end that i weave through weights and attach them to my cam bands. The Velcro is captured under the strap and is going nowhere when on the tank. Makes it easier to adjust trim when I dive a mk2 or a mk7.

The fact remains that for the diver who dives cold water at home, and travels, and wants to use *one* back plate for both is almost always better off with a Stainless Steel Plate.

Well... maybe.
Someone with very low body fat and no exposure protection may be better off with AL. Using a steel tank may really put you over weight.

I like to travel light so my SS stays at home. Just put a couple weight pockets on your cam bands and rent weights to put in them. You can have the same or more weight on your back that you would have with stainless. You are renting weights when you travel anyway right?

That is why I would say if you can only afford one go with AL and weight pockets on cam bands.

that's why he said almost always....

my brother dives a kydex plate because even in a 5mm with an al80, in fresh water he's neutral. He can dive the kydex plate in salt water with no exposure protection in an al80 with no problems as well, but that is certainly the exception to the rule as MOST divers are not 4-5lbs negative and are closer to neutral. Since the divers are closer to neutral, the SS is certainly much more versatile for most situations

Well... maybe.
Someone with very low body fat and no exposure protection may be better off with AL. Using a steel tank may really put you over weight.

I like to travel light so my SS stays at home. Just put a couple weight pockets on your cam bands and rent weights to put in them. You can have the same or more weight on your back that you would have with stainless. You are renting weights when you travel anyway right?

That is why I would say if you can only afford one go with AL and weight pockets on cam bands.

I've personally equipped 1000's of divers, and it's very common for our customers to dive moderate to cold water at home and warm water on vacation. The vast majority have purchased Stainless Steel plates and are apparently happy with that choice.

One can of course always find exceptions, anecdotal evidence is after all *not* data.

In my long experience with 1000's of divers the ballast a Stainless Plate provides is useful for both warm and cold water applications.

Tobin

In my long experience with 1000's of divers the ballast a Stainless Plate provides is useful for both warm and cold water applications.

Tobin
I actually don't disagree. I guess I didn't emphasize that the traveling light part is why I recommend AL. It is also cheaper. So for cost & traveling light it is AL. For everything else, SS. But that is just my opinion.

I actually don't disagree. I guess I didn't emphasize that the traveling light part is why I recommend AL.

No doubt there are situations where 3 lbs is vital, but most of my customers recognize there are other items that won't impact their in water experience that can offset the 3 lbs.

It is also cheaper. So for cost & traveling light it is AL. For everything else, SS. But that is just my opinion.

Only for some brands. Some BP&W brands sell stainless and alum plates at the same price. Then you have the additional cost of weight pouches and or the actual weights.
More stuff to buy, more stuff to pack (or forget), more stuff to set up.

Pretty hard to beat a SS plate with a 3mm suit and al 80.

Tobin

Tobin, so if not on the upper camband, where would you recommend placing a trim weight on a DSS rig so as to preserve the "quick-removal feature"? Tank neck? As I said, with the steel plate I still need 1-2 lbs. somewhere up high to make myself horizontal (and that's with light fins).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom