Standardized Prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The idea is that, if the dives don't mandate the use of those tools, the value of standardization trumps their use. The CCR class so far is restricted to T2/C2 divers whose diving activities merit the use of the tool. I don't see a recreational CCR class in GUE's future.

The idea is that, if the dives don't mandate the use of those tools, the value of standardization trumps their use. The CCR class so far is restricted to T2/C2 divers whose diving activities merit the use of the tool. I don't see a recreational CCR class in GUE's future.

Slightly off topic, but there's a strong argument to be made that any diver using helium in their mix has merits to use a CCR. Not just cost, either. Given its a nonrenewable resource that's plentiful in the universe but scant on Earth.

I'm curious to see what GUE does with their CCR course when it's made available. Several folks in our diving team were OC trained in GUE and then jumped the fence for better equipment on deep dives. Curious to see if they go back to the borg (The LAUE and SDUE cultures are very isolated from the rest of the technical diving that happens in southern california. We don't go on their boats and they don't come on ours for the most part).

Slightly off topic, but there's a strong argument to be made that any diver using helium in their mix has merits to use a CCR. Not just cost, either. Given its a nonrenewable resource that's plentiful in the universe but scant on Earth.

I'm curious to see what GUE does with their CCR course when it's made available. Several folks in our diving team were OC trained in GUE and then jumped the fence for better equipment on deep dives. Curious to see if they go back to the borg (The LAUE and SDUE cultures are very isolated from the rest of the technical diving that happens in southern california. We don't go on their boats and they don't come on ours for the most part).

They mentioned at the GUE conference that it may drop to T1 as a pre-req. Not a guarantee.

But the courses are happening, so you never know. I know of only 4 guys in the UK with the cert though, 2 of them are instructors chosen for the beta course.

Its curious to me the sheer numbers of people taking the CCR class, esp folk who had no interest in the RB80 as a tool for extended range/ deeper diving. That little fun tidbit plus the fact that you can take the course without owning the unit (a massive shift from the way the RB80 class is offered) makes me wonder how many of the CCR folk are in it for 'dress up'. There are for SURE dudes out there that need a CCR for their diving (logistics, remote sites, limited space on a boat), but that number seems exceedingly small relative to the number of people taking the class. In my mind, once you hit the OC limits that T2 gives you, its probably time to consider a rebreather. Similarly, when its time to consider a CCR, I feel that a diver should have exceeded the limits of the existing SCR platform that's really been central to some bad ass scuba dives.

I think its no question that a CCR is a more complex machine than an RB80, although perhaps simpler to dive (when everything is working. See "complex machine") due to the lack of gas switching. With any tool, adding complexity has to have a real reward. Imo, if you aren't bumping the limits of one technology, switching to a more complex technology doesn't make a lot of sense.

Lowering the pre-req to T1 would certainly rustle my jimmies a bit, and I honestly think that won't happen. Giving someone a ridiculously powerful tool when they barely know how to OC deco seems folly to me. When the RB breaks, you're suddenly an open circuit diver again. OC skills degrade if they aren't used.

Last edited:
Giving someone a ridiculously powerful tool when they barely know how to OC deco seems folly to me. When the RB breaks, you're suddenly an open circuit diver again. OC skills degrade if they aren't used.

Floating and going up by 3m/10ft every few minutes? Not really sure there is much difference TBH.

Stage switches, bottle rotation, management of buoyant bottles, stowing hoses, mentally adjusting deco times on the fly. These are all things that throw t2 candidates for a loop. Deco diving is more than staying put at a certain depth for a period of time.

Stage switches, bottle rotation, management of buoyant bottles, stowing hoses, mentally adjusting deco times on the fly. These are all things that throw t2 candidates for a loop. Deco diving is more than staying put at a certain depth for a period of time.

Well, there will not likely be any rotations will there? Bailout is on the back of the JJ. therefore only 2 deco gases, no bottom stage.

Stowing hoses while stationary. Should be able to do at fundies level i.e. holding stop. No different from firing an SMB.

Mentally adjusting deco times on the fly. Staggeringly hard. You get in with a rough idea anyway, no-one is starting from scratch. minute here, minute there.

Bottom gas bailout is on the back, and depending on the dive you could certainly have more than two deco gases. You still need all the gases you would have on an OC dive.

People struggle with these skills, even tech 2 candidates. That's the reality of it. It "should" be easy for everyone, but that's just not real life. It would seem that you haven't taken a GUE tech course. Shooting an smb is a different skill than a gas switch and bottle rotation. A diver with limited exposure and experience to these skills will have a tough time when the RB breaks.

Bottom gas bailout is on the back, and depending on the dive you could certainly have more than two deco gases. You still need all the gases you would have on an OC dive.

People struggle with these skills, even tech 2 candidates. That's the reality of it. It "should" be easy for everyone, but that's just not real life. It would seem that you haven't taken a GUE tech course. Shooting an smb is a different skill than a gas switch and bottle rotation. A diver with limited exposure and experience to these skills will have a tough time when the RB breaks.

Yep and we're talking about bringing CCR down to Tech1 entry.

Again, no bottom stage, and in correcting myself, only 1 deco gas.

And don't tell me I haven't taken GUE courses, I have. Seriously dude get over yourself.

Then what happens when they move to t2 depths on the breather?

ok, what courses have you taken?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom