Standardized Prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think newer iterations of the suit do not have zippers in the pockets. I did not chose this suit. I won it in an online contest when the manufacturer launched the bullet skin. It was free. That said, I am very happy with it and it is the suit that I use the most. Normally you only have to manipulate those zippers when you are topside, loading your pockets before a dive. The only reason I would see to manipulate the zippers underwater would be if you are picking up stuff from the bottom and stuffing it in your pockets. When the zipper failed, I didn't even notice until I was back in the boat unloading my pockets. It was a non-issue.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 09:22 AM ----------

Coming to think about it, I've had more trouble from clipping the brass and glass 2" spg to my left hip D ring in the DIR way than from those zippers. One time it got so jammed/tangled in between two tanks I was slinging and I had to enlist my teammate's help to regain access to it. Another time, the breakaway oring that I use to attach it to the snap bolt broke away unintentionally at the beginning of an 18/45 dive I was doing with a UTD friend. Again, I was slinging two bottles on the left side. After my teammate handed me the unattached spg back, I grabbed it and ran it through the bungee that holds my wing inflator and then we both decided to proceed with the dive. While debriefing on that dive we commented that spg positioning on the inflator hose seemed to be non-intrusive and of easier access. I remember my UTD friend commenting something to the effect of wondering why DIR fathers placed it at the hip...

Dale secures his spg to the inflator. And more recently two of my DSAT trained tec buddies moved their spgs to the inflator after a couple of years clipping them to the left hip. After I noted their configuration change, they replied that you just have to attach it securely in such a way that it will not interfere with the inflator buttons. But once you figure that out, they consider that it is a better position for the gauge. I'm thinking that when it comes time to replace my next hp hose, I will buy a shorter one and try out the new configuration.

The zippers in my pockets close the bellows, not the pockets themselves. The pockets are closed with Velcro. If the zippers fail while shut, it only means that you cannot expand the pocket. And even unexpanded, it is still a decent size pocket. In my specific case, the zipper failed while open, so all it means is that there is a slightly larger pocket if you keep all other bellows unexpanded. I honestly don't see that as a risk while diving. I did comment to Dale last night that maybe the student misunderstood and took a warning that was meant for pocket closures and applied it to bellow expansion. But what do I know... :idk:
The suits fits him rather well and Dale commented positively on his range of mobility in this suit.

Its not a risk. Its fine.

The issue is with pockets that zip closed. A stray thread can render it useless, that's it and that's all. Its all good man.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 12:33 PM ----------

Coming to think about it, I've had more trouble from clipping the brass and glass 2" spg to my left hip D ring in the DIR way than from those zippers. One time it got so jammed/tangled in between two tanks I was slinging and I had to enlist my teammate's help to regain access to it. Another time, the breakaway oring that I use to attach it to the snap bolt broke away unintentionally at the beginning of an 18/45 dive I was doing with a UTD friend. Again, I was slinging two bottles on the left side. After my teammate handed me the unattached spg back, I grabbed it and ran it through the bungee that holds my wing inflator and then we both decided to proceed with the dive. While debriefing on that dive we commented that spg positioning on the inflator hose seemed to be non-intrusive and of easier access. I remember my UTD friend commenting something to the effect of wondering why DIR fathers placed it at the hip...

Dale secures his spg to the inflator. And more recently two of my DSAT trained tec buddies moved their spgs to the inflator after a couple of years clipping them to the left hip. After I noted their configuration change, they replied that you just have to attach it securely in such a way that it will not interfere with the inflator buttons. But once you figure that out, they consider that it is a better position for the gauge. I'm thinking that when it comes time to replace my next hp hose, I will buy a shorter one and try out the new configuration.

The left chest area gets REAL busy with 2 stages and a backup light. Plus the idea of the system is scalability. 2 gauges on your chest is a lot easier to 'figure out' in the water than 3. Its just too much. Hip SPG is out of the way and its on your largest supply of gas.

If your SPG is getting jammed up with 2 tanks, I'd take a look at how long the bottom boltsnap rope is on your stage bottles. Should be a few inches long. Too short and the tanks are pulled up and a weird angle, and too long means they droop down a lot when full and float up high when empty.

if you clip a heavy nitrox bottle on top of that back gas bolt snap it will hang down and make it super hard to get the backgas unclipped. same with a super light leash. it will pull 'up' on that backgas bolt snap and make it hard to manage as well.

this was covered in my tech 2 and the video review was super helpful to demonstrate the problem. you need to be aware of that clip when you clip off stages and not just slap your stage on the first free spot of D ring you can find back there.

With regard to zippers, I thought we were talking about the zipper on the top part of the flap on a Halcyon style pocket. Others above have pointed out the problem with zippers as the main closure feature.

With regard to chest or hip clipping of the SPG.....Dale, sounds like an excellent topic of conversation on Thursday...:) Probably only happens every second class. :)

G

If your SPG is getting jammed up with 2 tanks, I'd take a look at how long the bottom boltsnap rope is on your stage bottles. Should be a few inches long. Too short and the tanks are pulled up and a weird angle, and too long means they droop down a lot when full and float up high when empty.
I make them so that they are about as long as the width of my hand (~3.5"). I think the length is fine.

if you clip a heavy nitrox bottle on top of that back gas bolt snap it will hang down and make it super hard to get the backgas unclipped. same with a super light leash. it will pull 'up' on that backgas bolt snap and make it hard to manage as well.

this was covered in my tech 2 and the video review was super helpful to demonstrate the problem. you need to be aware of that clip when you clip off stages and not just slap your stage on the first free spot of D ring you can find back there.
Now this, I confess to being guilty more than once. And more than once, the first unclipping has been hard. Then clipping them back on into a spot that's not as stressed usually solves the issue for the rest of the dive. It was only that one time that the thing would not budge out at all.

Here's some footage of my buddy and I slinging bottles. I'm the guy with the suit inflation bottle on the "wrong" side and that's the blue suit that Dale might be using for the course.

The Pipe - YouTube

Look for time stamp 2:26 to skip fishies and pipes.
[youtubehq]6RPMfcBa73I[/youtubehq]

I make them so that they are about as long as the width of my hand (~3.5"). I think the length is fine.

Now this, I confess to being guilty more than once. And more than once, the first unclipping has been hard. Then clipping them back on into a spot that's not as stressed usually solves the issue for the rest of the dive. It was only that one time that the thing would not budge out at all.

Here's some footage of my buddy and I slinging bottles. I'm the guy with the suit inflation bottle on the "wrong" side and that's the blue suit that Dale might be using for the course.

The Pipe - YouTube

Look for time stamp 2:26 to skip fishies and pipes.
[youtubehq]6RPMfcBa73I[/youtubehq]
that can become a bigger problem than you think on deeper dives. pay attention to that D ring inventory when you're clipping things on and it will make your life a lot easier

What a helpful community! :)

Well, it's the end of day 2 of fundies and I am having a great time. There are so many things happening that I want to comment on that I won't actually try to do so now. I'm on the motels internet and don't want to sit in the lobby for a long time typing. I plan to write about everything in detail later and have been taking notes so I don't forget.

First dive's done and my calves are sore. Apparently remaining motionless for any period of time is not in my current skill set.. wtf???
Thank goodness Guy, Koos, Joe and the rest of the instruction team give honest feedback in a way that feels positive because there was a lot of reality surfacing today.
See that, I made a dive joke :)

Awesome. But you'd better get some rest before your next intensive training day...

Out of curiosity, after taking the course, did anyone appreciate the value enough to pay for it? I know it was touted as a free course but I'm also very appreciative of peoples time and personal sacrifice to pull off the logistics needed for such an intense class.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom