Standardized Prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also don't think there is any question about the quality of GUE training. It has always appeared to be of a high calibre. What is knocked about, at least by Lynne and I (and some others), is how applicable that training is to the greater recreational world, whether other approaches might also work, how much of the system might be used/not used outside the DIR team paradigm, and how to best transfer those good parts to the larger diving population. It's really not a bad debate/discussion as I also believe mainstream diving lacks real safety (as it exists). It has always been a question of how to get there.

This is what I mean by "seeing the value". It is clear from your posts that you recognize the quality of instruction but question the value for recreational divers. If your experience is anything like mine you will see the value in the course even if (like me) you do not aspire to further tech courses and do much of your diving with non GUE teammates. My post wasn't meant as a knock on your opinions, rather an appreciation of your thoughtful questioning and a hope that your experience will be positive. Enjoy.

Very interesting and something to look forward to. I took this course and did not pass, I will soon take it again and pass. When I first took it, my thoughts going in were that I would do well as I thought myself a good, competent and confident diver. And even though I did not pass that time, I came out of this course a better, more competent and confident diver. A year later when I was thinking back on my diving experience I could see a huge change in the quality of my diving and most importantly the pleasure in diving.
Thanks for sharing. Awesome attitude and my thoughts exactly on the GUE Fundies course and how it can make regular recreational diving more fun/enjoyable!

A lot of people may want quality instruction but don't want the philosophy that goes along with it so they struggle with how much training costs vs how much they are going to throw out the window afterwards. This is amplified at the rec level, where the perception is that you don't really need that philosophy anyway. If you are truly interested in tech diving the philosophy makes more sense and seems worth the investment.

Just out of curiousity, what exactly is this "philosophy" you are referring to?

i mean, whether gue courses are good or not (they are fantastic) wasn't really the point of the thread. but glad dale is getting to experience it and I look forward to reading the updates eventually.

Well, as I said, I don't want to rehash things again, but I've often debated that focusing on standardization doesn't fit mainstream diving (In an environment where there is so much variety) as much as adaptability does. In that same vein, beginning with the end in mind loses it's appeal if the end is rec diving but many things you learn were designed for tech diving. That those ideas can't work in the rec realm isn't in question; just whether other strategies can also work. Sure everyone believes it's a great idea to be on the same page with the same gear... as long as it's my page and my gear.

Many people who choose DIR can't understand the relevance because they weren't attached to their previous situation and were looking for a change. They wish to dive with like minded divers (so what's the problem?), especially if they are moving forward down the tech pathway. But there are those who are happy where they are, though they may wish to elevate their level of diving there. I belong to a social dive club that I like - no one dives DIR. I certainly am not going to stop diving with those people just because I take a GUE course. To me, diving with like minded divers also includes people who share the same interests (notably photo/video) not just the same diving regime.

But at the same time (actually pretty early on) I recognized that diving in the rec realm was a dangerous business. That lack of cohesion and lip service to the buddy system creates a false sense of security IMO. So I sought a solution for self preservation. Part of that was/is looking at what DIR does, because I believe it is very well thought out. But at the same time I dive in ways that are diametrically opposed to some of the concepts (solo, vintage) so I have always struggled with how much of it would benefit, how much I would disregard, and how much it would cost to find out. In the end I chose the self reliant route which has it's own philosophy equipment etc... and over the years, it is the perspectives of these two directions that has been the impetus of much of our discussions. Not, which one is better, in absolute terms, just which one is more appropriate in the rec setting, given current conditions.

But, I really don't want to get too into that stuff again (except in a positive way). Guys offer really opens the door to a different discussion down the road and I want to give that a fair shake. I think I will write about all this sort of stuff when we go through the course and afterward.

WhiteSands, the GUE way of training is an entire system. It's based on the concepts of diving as a unified team (and, by the way, I coined that term for the DIR approach long before AG adopted it as the name of his agency). Equipment, procedures and protocols, and gases are standardized. The bar for personal diving skills is set high, because a team is only as strong as the weakest member. Fitness to dive is emphasized.

When people object to "the philosophy", it's usually because they want to dive solo, sidemount or CCR, don't want to change their gear, don't want to dive standard gases, or they smoke.

I can certainly understand. I imagine based on your original post that you had a specific reason for specifying three divers. Will continue to monitor the thread!

-Joseph

Greetings,

I will only take three students at a time for a Fundamentals class but don't go away yet. I may have an idea....

Guy

...When people object to "the philosophy", it's usually because they want to dive solo, sidemount or CCR, don't want to change their gear, don't want to dive standard gases, or they smoke.

Is sidemount or CCR still considered contrary to "the philosophy" when there is a sidemount course and CCR is used for a lot more than just exploration these days?

Is sidemount or CCR still considered contrary to "the philosophy" when there is a sidemount course and CCR is used for a lot more than just exploration these days?

There is no GUE sidemount course, and the CCR course is still beta. Both of these can be reasonable if the situation calls for it. If not, then it's just playing dress up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom