Start counting your dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kpauley

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, to start off with I know this is silly. My GF and I recently certified OW. We have been renting gear and practicing our skills. We figure after 25 dives we are going to move onto the Advanced Open Water. This way we have a chance to practice our skills and get more comfortable in the water before moving on.

After todays dive I noticed my GF starting counting her dives with the open water checkout and I started after we were certified. She is cackling gleefully about having four more dives than I. Granted, this isn't a serious argument and the one that is wrong will only have to renumber their log but, I just want to make sure it's her that's wrong so I can rub it in.

Which of us is right?

(would it help if I offered to send a dollar to everyone who votes for me?) :)

Well when i got certified 2 years ago through SSI our 4 openwater checkout dives were logged in our book as real dives.SO by the time we were certified we had 4 logged dives.

Whatever you do dont let her have access to this thread.... :eek:

It's in the logbook - it's a dive. Just cuz you're a student doesn't mean they aren't "real" dives.

Yup, that's what I did too! So you and your gf are even, but she won this one.

GF is right, the 4 training dives count. Your instructor couldn't certify you until you did the required dives and you couldn't prove you did the required dives without logging them. Didn't your instructor have to sign your logbook? My checkout dives were signed by both my buddy and the instructor we dove with. Now if your GF were counting pool dives too we'd let you be right :wink:
Ber :bunny:

I did not count the first four dives because I was not a "certified diver" and never gave it a second thought. The dives were also logged in a different part of my dive log under "training dives". The main part of the log started with dive "1" after certification.

A dive is a dive! My certification dives are the first four dives in my logbook, signed off by my instructor.

Anyone that knows me, knows I'm pretty bad about logging my dives.
I was certified in Cozumel. We did about 5 minutes of skills on each of the 4 dives, and 45 minutes of diving, on each dive. You bet they count as dives.
Will she send me a dollar too?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom