Start counting your dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your first 4 dives were training dives and you weren't a 'certified diver' until you completed them. I have them in my log book, but I didn't start numbering my dives until my first post-cert dive. My log book also had a special section for the first 4 training dives.

And for my cave dives, my log book would look like this: 104 C-4, which means total dive number 104 cave dive number 4. That way I can keep up with my total number of cave dives as well.

You log all dives in "open water." "Open Water" training dives are, by definition in "open water." They count. Part of the certification process includes me checking to see that those training dives are logged.

Wendy, you have 4 more dives than you thought.

Don't know about everyone else but our instructor madeapoint of assisting us in logging the 4 training dives as part of the training exercise. He used it to have us practice our tables too. don't know about you but if i get wet with tanks on I am going to log it :)

Yeah you're wrong, but find something else she did wrong (for instance a max depth, SI, BT, something....) and harp on that.

Having to complete ow dives are required to finish the ow training. Thus when you dive, they are logged, and your instructor has proof of training a student. Also, you have proof you were in the open water with an instructor. They are logged dives, and count towards your total.

Dive safe

:scuba:

Ok, so I'm not in the majority about when to start counting your dives, but do any of you have a required length of a dive before you log it. I don't log anything under 10 mins.

I go with the 20minutes or 2000 psi. That also works for the "I surfaced 5 min into a dive then went down again, did I do 2 dives?" question that pops up alot here.:wink:

mike

I log almost all dives. I don't bother to log some of the dives I do for the local pond managemrnt guy though. There may be times when you need to document how many dives of a certain type you have made. For my cave dives I keep a total number which includes my training dives and the number of dives after training. For some purposes the cave agencies don't count training dives like for an Abe Davis or Wukulla awards. As far as the length of the dive and wether or not I log it, some of my shortest dives figure prominantly in my log. Why? Because they are dives where problems accured and learnning took place and after all what we are really documenting is experience. While the depth or duration may not be impressive, I think they are as significant, if not more so, than some full length dives because they were different and represent the gaining of experience (lessons learned).

Wendy,

I log them all. In order to be counted towards training, they have to last at least 15 minutes and be at least 15 feet deep (other agencies may differ), but I log them even when they do not meet those requirements.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Yeah you're wrong, but find something else she did wrong (for instance a max depth, SI, BT, something....) and harp on that.

Having to complete ow dives are required to finish the ow training. Thus when you dive, they are logged, and your instructor has proof of training a student. Also, you have proof you were in the open water with an instructor. They are logged dives, and count towards your total.

Dive safe

:scuba:

Just tell her little things like that dont matter and that men are far superior divers and that she needs way more than four logged dives more than you to be as efficient as you in the water.
=-) :mean:

You said she was your girlfriend so no need to worry about divorce when she reads it . :confused:

Now hopefully my wife wont read this or ill be in deep poop;-0

Back
Top Bottom