Suunto DM4??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the offer Starcruiser.

I have tried moving to DM3.1 but the data was still missing, when I loaded it into DM4 the data was there! Truly bizarre!

Anyway it will not be a problem just bought an Aladdin Luna, I was considering anyway as I like the bigger numbers (it’s a pain getting old)

All I have to do now is transfer the dives over from DM3 or 4

BTW I wondered earlier what Suunto was thinking well I suppose this quote might answer that. (Sorry for the long quote but I think it is worth it to explain Suunto’s thinking)

The main purpose of the site is to provide authentic visibility in social media. Janne Kallio, Digital Marketing Manager for Suunto, explains that “Movescount.com is not only a great service for the sports community, but it’s also a huge step for Suunto in digital marketing. Movescount.com offers a totally new opportunity for Suunto to provide great tools for daily sport tracking and engagement through social media for sport enthusiasts."

Download from: Suunto Movescount Case Study: Amazon Web Services

Donaldsa,

The "floating point overload" is a message advising that the database has tried to use a number bigger than it can handle. As I understand it (a dubious concept I agree) it means the database is corrupted, in an IT sense rather than legally!
I.T and diver opinion : always do a backup

after have downloaded diving computer datas, i copy the database on another computer, an external drive or a usb key

DuboisP

Could not agree more. I did do a backup but when I loaded it back into DM2 or DM3 the data was corrupted inside the program!

I went from one version of DM4 to the latest version of DM4 and my database somehow got screwed up too. I understand that sometimes things happen but DM4 just seems to be very buggy to me. I've sent a list of about 15 issues that I've found with in off to Suunto but have not heard back from them.

I've looked at other dive log software and they all seem to be clunky and restrictive. Someone who writes a good app that can interface with many different computers could make a lot of money.

can you send me your database ?
maybe i can try a couple of options...
without warranty, of course.

I just deleted my database and re-imported my dives from my computer. I'm just playing around with DM4 on a backup laptop so I didn't lose anything. But I did just notice that in DM4 there is no way to "export" or backup a database. The only export that exists is to .pdf. Too bad they just don't use an XML file that is readable.

I've got an obvious question since i was thinking about purchasing the Suunto Zoop -- with all this about the DM4 software --- does anybody know if the DC and the transfer cable will work with any other logging software? Since even an IPOD was only designed to work with Apple's Itunes, there is other software out there that will sync with it.. and i am referring to Windows software, not MAC

There are other software products out there that work with Suunto dive computers. I would suggest that you search for "dive log application or software" and see if the individual products work with the Suunto computer you have. However, I think you should buy a dive computer based upon the capabilities of the computer itself and place a lower priority on the PC software. My guess is that DM4 will be a great piece of software one day - Suunto just fumbled a little bit by releasing it before it was finished, but time will tell.

If you are new to diving, you should log all of your dives using a PADI dive logbook (or something similar) and get the dive masters or instructors involved with the dive to sign it for you.

I just deleted my database and re-imported my dives from my computer. I'm just playing around with DM4 on a backup laptop so I didn't lose anything. But I did just notice that in DM4 there is no way to "export" or backup a database. The only export that exists is to .pdf. Too bad they just don't use an XML file that is readable.
SQLite Database Browser
SQLite Database Browser | Free Development software downloads at SourceForge.net
do a search in C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\Data\
to find DM4.db

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom