Suunto DM4??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finally threw in the towel and bought Diving Log 5.0.

It's been a long journey. I've been with SDM since 2002 when I bought my Vyper and the stupidly-priced interface cable. I did the normal suffering through each version change but DM4 was a disaster and I went back to DM3 and have been there since. DM3 is acceptable and familiar.

However....because I bought the interface cable in 2002, it is a serial connector not USB. So I bought a $15 adapter to convert to USB rather than pay another $100 for the Suunto USB cable. This cobbled-together cable worked just fine on my old desktop with XP but I could not get it to work on my new Windows 7 laptop. As I searched for solutions on this board I discovered Diving Log 5.0. I had no problem downloading dives to Diving Log 5.0 software (demo version) with my cobbled-together cable, so that told me it is a problem with DM3 and not Windows 7.

Now I'm headed to Cozumel in a few days and finally pulled the trigger and bought Diving Log 5.0. Boy am I glad I did. It is so much easier to use, the learning curve has been very quick and I no longer have to face the problems with SDM, which will only get more challenging in the future. I still like my Vyper computer but the pathetic software does make me wonder what they're smoking back at Suunto headquarters. So when my 12 year old Vyper finally bites the dust, I will still lean toward another Suunto but my experience with the software will definitely make me look elsewhere as well.

Suunto - what are you doing?? You make great products only to tarnish your image with horrible software. Wake up already!

However....because I bought the interface cable in 2002, it is a serial connector not USB. So I bought a $15 adapter to convert to USB rather than pay another $100 for the Suunto USB cable. This cobbled-together cable worked just fine on my old desktop with XP but I could not get it to work on my new Windows 7 laptop. As I searched for solutions on this board I discovered Diving Log 5.0. I had no problem downloading dives to Diving Log 5.0 software (demo version) with my cobbled-together cable, so that told me it is a problem with DM3 and not Windows 7.
my DM3 continue to work under Win7 x64 with the serial connector and a serial2usb converter.
SubSurface is free. Cost $0.

my DM3 continue to work under Win7 x64 with the serial connector and a serial2usb converter.
SubSurface is free. Cost $0.

Good for you! As said before no response form Suunto. Got finally an email announcing a new version of DM. I raised that ticket a year ago! And in-between no reply whatsoever. I just dumped the mail, I am not going to try DM, it now needs two other programmes to be installed on the Mac to work. I am happy with Subsurface, works every time without a glitch.

Good for you! As said before no response form Suunto. Got finally an email announcing a new version of DM. I raised that ticket a year ago! And in-between no reply whatsoever. I just dumped the mail, I am not going to try DM, it now needs two other programmes to be installed on the Mac to work. I am happy with Subsurface, works every time without a glitch.

I too have switched over to Subsurface. I have given up on Suunto. The tech support in Finland never told me how hopeless it was, but after months of calls and emails I discovered it for myself. I'm thankful that ScubaBoard now has the whole story. It's just amazing how such an advanced dive computer like Suunto can have such lousy software.

However, I have not been able to convert my old Oceanic Logs to Subsurface, so download my dives to both so that I may keep my continuous log from 2006 to present.

But Subsurface has no problem downloading dives from both my Suunto and Oceanic dive computers.

Thank you Subsurface. :)

But Subsurface has no problem downloading dives from both my Suunto and Oceanic dive computers.

Thank you Subsurface. :)

Indeed thank you.

I had a long talk with an executive of Aqualung (they sell Suunto, and i think they are otherwise connected with them) and although he promised me to report the matter (my case) to them nothing happened. I posted to them again and never got an answer. I contacted Suunto UK and they tried... It is now a year or so and nothing.

Indeed thank you Subsurface.

---------- Post added December 22nd, 2014 at 08:39 AM ----------

Is there an apple IOS app for subsurface? Can it sync with the laptop version?

Not sure about IOS. I sync my Cobra with a Macbook Pro, via the USB Cable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom