Suunto Excessive Microbubble Alert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Despirately Seeking More Diver Alert/Microbubble Info

After searching for and reading a thread on the Dr. Decompression forum, I still had a few questions about Suunto's Diver Alert/Excessive Microbubble/Extend Surface Interval warning. (It looks like an exclamation point inside a triangle that displays near the no-fly icon while in surface mode.)

I've gotten several diver alerts (DA) over a four day period, here's the profiles: (all are shore dives, with asents following bottom contour)

On Suunto Vyper
SI >99h
Dive 1: A0/P1, Max=72', Avg=37', Time=39min,
no ascent violations, safety stop cleared, no "above 4ft"
SI=48:39, no DA displayed

Dive 2: A0/P0, Max=24', Avg=20', Time=46min,
no asent violations, no safety stop indicated, no "above 4ft"
SI=3:45, DA displayed and cleared

Dive 3: A0/P0, Max=19', Avg=13', Time=48min,
no asent violations, no safety stop indicated, 3 "above 4ft" instances near end of dive
SI=5min (barely a new dive) DA displayed and NOT cleared

Dive 4: A0/P0, Max=8', Avg=6', Time=9min,
no asent violations, no safety stop indicated, several "above 4ft" instances
SI=20:32 DA displayed and cleared

Dive 5: A0/P0, Max=43', Avg=23', Time=43min,
no asent violations, safety stop cleared, 2 "above 4ft" at very end of dive
SI=0:50 DA displayed and NOT cleared (although DIVEPLAN said it would clear between 40 and 43 min SI)

Dive 6: A0/P0, Max=21', Avg=12', Time=38min,
no asent violations, no safety stop indicated, 5 "above 4ft" instances at near end of dive
SI=37:00+, DA displayed and cleared

I have several more dives after this series with alerts - all but one with above 4ft instances during the previous dive.

The only two correlating factors I can see (from the diver accessible data):
1. the "above 4ft" instances - which is Suunto's magic depth to define a dive, according to the Instruction Manual. New England lobstering at low tide often means a lot of "above 4ft" instances.
2. Dive 1 (and my dives before that) were with 20 sec sampling. Dives 2-6 had 10 sec sampling. Since changing to 10 second sampling, I've gotten this Alert a lot! (Could the user preferences change the way the model behaves?!?)

I have 18 dives on my Vyper and don't think I've gotten the DA before (at minimum I've never violated it).

So here are my questions: (Maybe BRW would be willing to grace us with his knowledge one more time)
1. Is there a correlation between "above 4ft" instances and DA? Can DA be avoided by staying above 4ft once that depth is reached at the end of the dive?
2. If you start a dive with DA displayed, how much is the penalty to the NDLs? What about starting dive 2 and 3 in a series with DA still displayed.
3. Does the sampling rate affect how the model calculates tissue saturation and/or microbubbles.
4. What conditions produce a DA, assume no stops missed and no assent violations?
5. Will starting too many dives with DA displayed ever lock me out?
6. Why didn't the DA displayed between dives 5 and 6 clear after the period of time DIVEPLAN said it would?

Basically, I just want more information on what my computer is telling me. I intend to listen to it - but want to know what it's thinking. Also, in my dive planning I would like to be able to predict when I will get a DA, just as we are able to predict available NDL.

If this is too much - just tell me to suck it up and call Finland.
Thanks y'all.

mer once bubbled...
Despirately Seeking More Diver Alert/Microbubble Info

So here are my questions: (Maybe BRW would be willing to grace us with his knowledge one more time)
1. Is there a correlation between "above 4ft" instances and DA? Can DA be avoided by staying above 4ft once that depth is reached at the end of the dive?
2. If you start a dive with DA displayed, how much is the penalty to the NDLs? What about starting dive 2 and 3 in a series with DA still displayed.
3. Does the sampling rate affect how the model calculates tissue saturation and/or microbubbles.
4. What conditions produce a DA, assume no stops missed and no assent violations?
5. Will starting too many dives with DA displayed ever lock me out?
6. Why didn't the DA displayed between dives 5 and 6 clear after the period of time DIVEPLAN said it would?

If this is too much - just tell me to suck it up and call Finland.
Thanks y'all.

I wouldn't mind knowing more about when and how the DA affects diving, why it comes on, etc. I've looked in the manual and can't seem to find much info on it.

If you end up calling SUUNTO, please post whatever info you receive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom