Tank storage while FULL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Think the longest I've left a tank (3AL) full and then used it was 6 to 8 months. I personally send out samples of our air for testing and we always hit CGA Grade E. I guess I would draw the line at smell. If it smelled funny, don't use it. I had a guy donate a steel tank that was made in 57, most recent hydro was 2000. I use it as a nice prop in the classroom to show what a J-valve looks like and to reiterate that tanks can last a long time. It has some pressure in it. I have noooo idea how old the air in it is (obviously 2000 or newer). My guess is closer toward that 13 years. It smells like an old, musty museum. I would not use it (lol).

Not secured but no kids are present to knock em over....so it's all good then. I'm only going to leave them full for like 2 months. There al80 luxfer

I'm in the leave them till you need them. As for sitting in your garage, I assume you have them secured so they are incapable of being knocked over.

Bob
----------------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Not secured but no kids are present to knock em over....so it's all good then. I'm only going to leave them full for like 2 months. There al80 luxfer
Kids aren't the only way a tank can get knocked over, and although it would probably just make noise, all it would take is a bit of bad luck and it could ruin your day. There is a tremendous amount of energy stored in a 3000# tank, treat it like the bomb that it can be. Just saying.

Bob
-----------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

If I know a tank will go unused for a prolonged period ( 6 months or more) I store at 300psi. The reason is less stress on the tank, and removal of the hazards inherent in storing a full high pressure tank. It's not an air quality isssue, its bout preserving tank life. Also, keep inspections current. A stored tank that sits a long time can outlive an inspection expiration date. That is not good.
DivemasterDennis

Storing tanks filled is no worse than constantly emptying and filling them. If anything it is better as there will be less fatigue. Leaving them empty (but not totally empty) would be the safest option but completely unnecessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom