Tank visual inspection certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first time I heard about this I assumed it was a joke, but it appears to be for real.

I have doubts enough about whether one can really teach tank inspection in the 8 or so hours the average PSI or other agency course takes. So the notion of doing it remotely seems insane. I do think it is possible to learn to do a decent job of tank inspection from a book, if one avoids 6351 tanks and simply rejects any borderline tanks or refers them to someone more experienced, but I wouldn't dare certify anyone to do it commercially on that basis.

Thanks, I agree.

Even after I sat through the PSI course, I had one helluva time trying to inspect cylinders without constantly asking for help from more senior personnel. There are so many variables that the books just don't cover. Things like bowed versus bulged cylinders. The difference is cystal-clear on paper, clear as mud when you've got a cylinder on the work bench in front of you.

Now that I have a lot of experience, I would love to sit through the entire course again. I am sure I missed more than I learned the first time through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom