Tank visual inspection certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cappyjon431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi. Our dive shop is located in a remote location. My gear technician would like to become certified to do visual tank inspections but he is having difficulty finding information on how to get the training.

He has written PSI about a half dozen times because he heard they offer an online course (pricey, but we are willing to pay for it), but they have never responded to an email.

What would be the best way for him to go about getting certified for doing tank inspections?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

PSI is a pain in the ass to get hold of. Find an instructor who teaches the course. Some of the tech agencies have an o2 cleaning and inspection cert. Do local regs require inspections? Psi does do clinics at dema and a few other larger shows. Doesn't help you unless you happen to be in town for it. They had one locally in pittsburgh but they never got back to me about where they were holding it despite numerous requests.

I don't know what the regulations are in Panama, but in the states visual inspections aren't the law, but rather an industry standard. Oxyhacker has a book about doing your own gas mixing that I understand includes directions on how to clean and inspect your own tanks and where to get official looking stickers to "certify" that they've been inspected.

Pretty sure NAUI teaches a course in this.

I worked for about 9 months doing the VIPs in a dive shop in my wild and reckless youth. I got about 40 minutes training for that job. I have no qualms about VIPing my own tanks today rather than trusting some college kid at the LDS with a similar level of training to what I had.

Here is the schedule for PSI classes. The schedule is kept updated: Course List. Here is the information on courses in spanish. Mark probably hasn't e-mailed you back because he was at DEMA and hasn't gone home until after Thanksgiving. He'll get back to you.

They had one locally in pittsburgh but they never got back to me about where they were holding it despite numerous requests.

Those classes were cancelled for lack of enough interest.

PSI is a pain in the ass to get hold of.

Yes, quite unfortunate. They offer a good product. I would love to update my certification with PSI. But a dozen e-mails over the last 6 months and still no response.

Knock, knock, anyone home?

DocHarry, you can do an update online now with PCI/PSI.

Very odd folks are having trouble hearing back from those at PCI/PSI I have usually had good luck.

DocHarry, you can do an update online now with PCI/PSI.

Very odd folks are having trouble hearing back from those at PCI/PSI I have usually had good luck.

Online? Convenient, but I enjoy getting my hands dirty.

And I never had the course in the first place. So there is nothing to update. And the Pittsburgh thing was in April. Long before DEMA. And as far as I know it was only announced on TDS. A bit more publicity might have taken care of the lack of interest. I was never even notified it was canceled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom