Taxi Mafia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The way I read the OP, the fares were all acceptable except for the one, the one he failed to check on before being taken for a ride. It seems to me that it is more of a cultural thing than an attempt to screw somebody out of 3 or 4 bucks. I am far from a Cozumel expert but when purchasing something I always try to barter a cheaper price. I see the barter method to be cultural. If I only got screwed out of 4 bucks today here at home, I would be happy.(except for food and I know up front what the cost is going to be) When I am on vacation, I don't sweat the small stuff.

I would hardly worry about 40 pesos on vacation. Life on vacation is much to short. I rarely take cabs in Cozumel and when I do I ask how much in pesos. I am amazed at all the complaining about the taxis in Cozumel, it so simple to just ask the driver how much and if its not the fare expected fare negotiate politely or move on to the next cab.....there are plenty.

Its not about being ripped off a dollor or two...its about being blatently lied to. If I get a good taxi driver friendly polite turns on the a/c I will usually even tip them...but if your gonna lie to my face...Im gonna call you on it...but that's just me.
Ok, so it's only petty crime. Try shoplifting something that costs 40 peso at Mega for grins and see how forgiving they are.

The taxi union agreed on profitable rates and the drivers won't negotiate below those, but some will gouge if they get a chance. 40% extra is what it is, and it's a pain to have to stand on the curb, discuss, find agreement or move on every time.

How about looking at the big picture. If taxis are your only means of transportation and you go into town everyday for dinner and shopping like I do and are staying a week that's 40 pesos x 2 X 7 = 560 pesos lost for the week. Maybe being overcharged 40 pesos doesn't bother you but what about 560 pesos. No matter how small the amount they all add up to a lot more you realize.

In the US the taxi drivers call it a union, not the mafia. That way they can rip you off legally.

Actually, it's incredibly rare for U.S. Taxi drivers to be unionized. Rather, nearly every big city in the U.S. has government regulation of the taxi industry, with set rates, specified taxi meters, limits on numbers of taxis, licensing requirements for drivers, etc. These government regulations are lobbied for and written by the owners of the larger taxi companies with the express purpose of limiting competition from little guys. The big taxi companies, which own garages, hundreds of taxis, and several city council members, can easily afford the compliance costs as they are spread out over many taxis, and well worth the extra revenues they get from regulated rates. Another fine example of Government regulation which is sold as "consumer protection" but in reality is business using the power of government to rip you off. It is the U.S. counterpart of the Airport Shuttle company paying off the Cozumel politicians to get a monopoly on taking passengers from the Airport to the hotels.

I always tip the honest ones at least a couple of bucks, the others, I tell you've got your tip. :D
Each taxi is numbered, just remember the number, and avoid that guy next time, they seem to work
the same areas usually.....

Ok, so it's only petty crime. Try shoplifting something that costs 40 peso at Mega for grins and see how forgiving they are.

The taxi union agreed on profitable rates and the drivers won't negotiate below those, but some will gouge if they get a chance. 40% extra is what it is, and it's a pain to have to stand on the curb, discuss, find agreement or move on every time.

Have to agree.

And further, part of the reason why taxis all over tourist areas in Mexico play these games is for two reasons, number one is that obviously there is the chance of getting away with it easily, since they are hoping you're oblivious to any information in regard to what the true rates are, and secondly the attitude presented here from people of "it's only a couple of dollars... if you can't afford it... relax.. don't be so up tight", that only reinforces their theivery and rewards the behavior.

We just got back from Cancun and spent close to $250 on taxis for the 10 days there, and the games were ridiculous that went on. We got quoted so many different amounts for the same rides over and over again it was laughable if it wasn't so dishonest. This doesn't even touch on the real thievery going on which is the exchange rate game played by everybody in Mexico. It really paints the Mexican national as a dishonest thief, preying on tourists for everything they can, it's pretty disgusting and really taints the experience of travel. The only thing that makes taxis bearable was how befuddled you could get them by turning the tables on them. I travel with both US dollars and Pesos so I could pay the fare either way. Some would quote you in dollars and some in Peso, they even mind banged themselves after awhile. Our final cab ride to the airport the fare asked for was $35 US, when he didn't have change for the $50 bill I gave him, I asked how much in pesos then, he replied he wanted 350 pesos. With the proper exchange in pesos it should have been 450 pesos. These cabbies are so used to screwing any tourist they run across they even screw themselves since they don't use any official tables for exchange or rates. He forgot he was doing the screw you on the exchange rate backwards which is to quote you in 350 pesos and then quote you 35 us dollars where they instantly screw you for a further 30% profit, this dishonest dude screwed himself. If you really want to have fun pay the fare in a combination of dollars and pesos and have some real fun, they can't do the math fast enough to keep up.

When a cabbie threatens you like he did you John that's really stepping over the line, there would be a real confrontation at that point.

By the way, you don't have to ask for a price first, if you know the price, just get in and when the cabbie tries to stick it to you, just refuse to pay his dishonest fare, tell him the correct fairs is X, here it is, hand it to him and on the way out of the cab show him a five dollar bill or a 50 peso note and tell him, this was the tip you were getting, until you tried to screw me, get out and walk away, you're in no danger of anything. He will fuss and throw a fit like a baby, but he knows he's trying to steal from you and won't do a thing other than grumble at the lesson taught him by somebody who refused to be ripped off.

I experienced similar crap in Italy in a highly touristy venue, the waiters game was to not return with your change when you paid the bill, he would disappear or run around and ignore you... it didn't work out well for him, not only did I get my large amount of change back, he lost all of his tip.

Unfortunately this stuff goes on all over the world, its a game that dishonest people employ in different methods to fleece tourists, they roll the dice you're in a foreign land, don't know the customs, can't do the math... etc... unfortunately they don't realize the damage they do representing their country to foreigners, its a short term benefit only.

I agree with Mike I don't feel its OK to be cheated and just look the other way.I have had major confrontations with cab drivers and even told the cabbies to call police because I wasn't going to pay a bogus fair.They have always backed down and yelled idle threats.I hardly ever take a cab in Coz anymore and only step into 1 if the fair is decided in advance and I have the fare in exact pesos.The cabbies have ripped off so many cruise ship passengers that they think we are all just stupid patsy's that be cheated and will walk away and say nothing.

Don't worry, the shuttles pay their "fare" share. They too are charged for every entrance into and out of airport property.
Actually, it's incredibly rare for U.S. Taxi drivers to be unionized. Rather, nearly every big city in the U.S. has government regulation of the taxi industry, with set rates, specified taxi meters, limits on numbers of taxis, licensing requirements for drivers, etc. These government regulations are lobbied for and written by the owners of the larger taxi companies with the express purpose of limiting competition from little guys. The big taxi companies, which own garages, hundreds of taxis, and several city council members, can easily afford the compliance costs as they are spread out over many taxis, and well worth the extra revenues they get from regulated rates. Another fine example of Government regulation which is sold as "consumer protection" but in reality is business using the power of government to rip you off. It is the U.S. counterpart of the Airport Shuttle company paying off the Cozumel politicians to get a monopoly on taking passengers from the Airport to the hotels.

I am always surprised when people say it is no big deal to get ripped of, it is only a few dollars. Not worth hassling about. Let's look at the same situation from a different perspective. Imagine you were in Chinatown in San Francisco, and you became aware that the shop owners were charging white people a different price to Orrientals, how would you feel? Or if you discovered that your local 7-11 blatantly over charged African Americans just because of their race, would you say anything? Would you shrug it of as not worth the hassle? How much racially based discrimination are you prepared to support?

My $0.02

Rant concluded. Please go back to your regularly scheduled scuba thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom