Taxi Mafia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this is why I rent a car when I'm there.

mjatkins said:
Imagine you were in Chinatown in San Francisco, and you became aware that the shop owners were charging white people a different price to Orrientals, how would you feel?

Yes, I have been to Nassau, and NO, never again........

This same discussion happens over and over. If you are going to go to Cozumel, ask the price before you get in the cab. If you are concerned with being ripped of for a couple of bucks, do what you need to do to make sure you don't get ripped off. Cozumel isn't the only place you can get screwed by a taxi driver. It happens everywhere. If it so bothersome, then beware and take steps to prevent it.

I think this is where people usually have problems but, if it is a buck or 2 I am no worried about it, I am on vacation which works for me. It might not work for you.

This same discussion happens over and over. If you are going to go to Cozumel, ask the price before you get in the cab. If you are concerned with being ripped of for a couple of bucks, do what you need to do to make sure you don't get ripped off. Cozumel isn't the only place you can get screwed by a taxi driver. It happens everywhere. If it so bothersome, then beware and take steps to prevent it.

I think this is where people usually have problems but, if it is a buck or 2 I am no worried about it, I am on vacation which works for me. It might not work for you.

I totally agree. Plus it could be worse: American hacked to death over $1.60 cab fare, Thai police say - World News

Attempts to charge above and beyond aside, I just find the published Cozumel taxi pricing structure relatively high to begin with, although obviously it's what the market will bear. If you compare what we pay for Cozumel taxis to what we pay for their U.S. counterparts on a per-mile basis, Cozumel is right up there with some of our more expensive U.S. cities. Now, I think that U.S. taxi drivers are generally very poorly paid, and I hope that being a Cozumel taxi driver at least puts one firmly in the middle class. But when I'm paying $5-$6 to be driven about a mile, it feels kind of expensive. We probably take more walks because of it, which of course is good for us, if not for the taxi drivers.

this is why I rent a car when I'm there.

Me too....and I can come and go as I please with no worries. The few times I have used taxis it was easy, no surprises, asked the fare and paid in peseos. My husband and I were polite and non confrontational when we asked about the fare.

Reactions: MMM
Honestly, I think that all this concern is overblown. So a taxi driver screws you out of a dollar. So what? It's a dollar. Yes, it adds up. In a week's visit it could add up to <gasp> ten dollars.

I am reasonably prudent, paying in pesos, carrying small bills and coins, and knowing generally how much rides cost. But if I get caught unprepared and get taken for a dollar, it's not a big deal. Comparing these small time guys with the mafia is laughable.

Dude... You are LOST. It is not about why or how much.. it is about morality, honesty and professional business practice. Behavior like that gives all in that business a "black eye". A collective and organized attempt to defraud and misrepresent to perpetuate a crime is what "mafia" means.

Dude... You are LOST. It is not about why or how much.. it is about morality, honesty and professional business practice. Behavior like that gives all in that business a "black eye". A collective and organized attempt to defraud and misrepresent to perpetuate a crime is what "mafia" means.
As important as tourism is to the island residents, it is insulting isn't it. And you know they're already charging as much as they can with approved fare cards, which they don't like showing.

Anybody enjoy the 200 for 20 peso switcheroo game at the Pemex?

Anybody enjoy the 200 for 20 peso switcheroo game at the Pemex?
Well, it's $1 USD = [-]12.94[/-] 12.89 MXN on Wall Street, today. I doubt the local bank allows that rate, before fees, after standing in line, once they get there, etc.

That's a simply one. Get Pesos, use them, or accept the street rate.

Or did you mean something else...??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom