TDI vs PADI tech materials?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update: I was loaned a copy of the PADI Tech Deep Diver book from 2016-2017.
??? Perhaps you've misquoted the title, but that course was replaced in 2009 by Tec 40, 45, and 50.

??? Perhaps you've misquoted the title, but that course was replaced in 2009 by Tec 40, 45, and 50.
But the material remains the same.
60311_m.jpg

You have to use the supplemental materials to "convert" it from DeepTec to Tec 40, 45, and 50. Still no separate manual for each course. I could be wrong also. I haven't looked through the latest manual.

But the material remains the same.
View attachment 502020
You have to use the supplemental materials to "convert" it from DeepTec to Tec 40, 45, and 50. Still no separate manual for each course. I could be wrong also. I haven't looked through the latest manual.
I suppose there are ways it could be even more confusing.....:(
Yes, same basic manual, different course structure and name using that manual. Thanks for the correction.

It seems that PADI was a bit lazy in updating its manual. At least TDI has 3 books which correspond to courses: Advanced nitrox, Deco procedures, Extended range.

@Schwob did a 2 weekend ITT type class a couple of years ago. He had the digital manual, but printed out pages for his use. That’s what was loaned to me.

It DOES say Tec Deep Diver on the cover.
F1301A0C-9864-4188-8BD4-A98DD604FA4C.jpeg

First impressions: the spelling of tech as “tec” makes my teeth itch something awful.

The book calls a dual bladder wing “double wings.”o_O WTF?

It’s too effing chatty. It reminds me of the Chicago Sun-Times - catering to the lowest common denominator.

On page 61, it actually shows divers KNEELING to do an air share exercise. And page 62 a diver is kneeling on the bottom of the pool working on reaching his valves. WTF? o_O
C9D1A98F-B644-4753-B9F8-CE8FD295153C.jpeg

@Schwob did a 2 weekend ITT type class a couple of years ago. He had the digital manual, but printed out pages for his use. That’s what was loaned to me.

It DOES say Tec Deep Diver on the cover.
View attachment 502029

First impressions: the spelling of tech as “tec” makes my teeth itch something awful.

The book calls a dual bladder wing “double wings.”o_O WTF?

It’s too effing chatty. It reminds me of the Chicago Sun-Times - catering to the lowest common denominator.

On page 61, it actually shows divers KNEELING to do an air share exercise. And page 62 a diver is kneeling on the bottom of the pool working on reaching his valves. WTF? o_O
View attachment 502035

Do not expect super high standards :) PADI reorganized is Tec Deep program into 3 courses but did not update manual. It seems that PADI tec programs are not very popular and PADI is not paying appropriate attention to them. Once I saw in FB group one instructor photos where everybody were kneeling and doing skills. When I made a comment about kneeling he was highly offended and said that he is instructor for 15 years and he knows what he is doing. I understand that PADI technical diving programs evolved from recreational diving programs and, accordingly, nobody paid significant attention to kneeling. In my subjective opinion, TDI and other technical diving organisations have higher standards on diving. When I was doing my TDI courses absolutely all skills were done without kneeling.

Do not expect super high standards :) PADI reorganized is Tec Deep program into 3 courses but did not update manual. It seems that PADI tec programs are not very popular and PADI is not paying appropriate attention to them. Once I saw in FB group one instructor photos where everybody were kneeling and doing skills. When I made a comment about kneeling he was highly offended and said that he is instructor for 15 years and he knows what he is doing. I understand that PADI technical diving programs evolved from recreational diving programs and, accordingly, nobody paid significant attention to kneeling. In my subjective opinion, TDI and other technical diving organisations have higher standards on diving. When I was doing my TDI courses absolutely all skills were done without kneeling.

I didn’t have high expectations going in. But this is beyond ridiculous. Holy f***! I’d really like to know when this manual was produced. There was one mention of “no stop decompression dives” or something along those lines. I’ll have to go back to check. But I’m irked enough I’m putting to the side for tonight.

Damn. I’m into my second reading of Mark Powell’s new tech diving intro book. It’s tone is superior to the TDI materials I’ve read so far. (ITT, AN/DP, Advanced Wreck), but the TDI materials are far above the PADI ones, if this first glance is anything to go by. Kind of confirms my impressions that PADI only got on the “tec” (grrrrr) bandwagon when they saw there was money to be made. There’s even a cute little “guide to tec diver lingo” graphic.

Someone here on SB once described the TDI materials as treating divers like adults or something of the sort. I’m going to go with this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom