Teach me about the hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonhall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Going to Cabo San Lucas in mid January and expect the water temps to be around 68-70 degrees F. I've only been diving in 70 degree water a few times, all without a hood, but will be diving more on this trip (12-14 dives) and want to keep warm. Still taking all my gear but using the dive ops wetsuit (5 or 7 mm.) I would like to purchase a hood to take with me. Although I've been on a boat with divers wearing hoods, I've not paid much attention to them. What I'd like to learn about is the following:

What are things to look for in a hood? I want to be sure my mask and reg aren't restricted in any way.

Tried a few on and bibless is the more comfortable style. Does the neck area of the hood work better tucked into the wetsuit or left on the outside? Is there a correct way?

Is there a difference between a drysuit and wetsuit hood?

Thinking about the ScubaPro Everflex 6.5/5/3 mm due to the price (as it may be a discontinued item.) As far as its features SCPHEMD.jpg.png , anyone see any problems with it or will it suffice?

Wetsuit will have the bib, which you tuck inside the suit.

The good will never restrain your refs. They don’t go that high.

As for your mask, you can pull the sides over your mask skirt or cut the edge of the hood to fit the size of your mask.

You also want a hose with a vented top. That will allow the air to escape and not be trapped inside your hood.

I can’t speak about this hood as I don’t know it. But if it fits nicely...

Bib is for wetsuits, bib-less is for drysuit. Bibs go under the wetsuit.

You could go bib-less with wetsuit, it just won't be as insulating.

That's all I know :(

For the temperatures you're describing, the benefit of the tucked-in bib will be nada. Get something that fits comfortably and doesn't restrict your head movement. You'll likely find, for the 68-70 degree water, that you ditch the hood anyway... assuming your good 7mm suit keeps you warm enough. (We dive 7mm suits in So Cal, only use a hood for water below 65 degrees...)

I have two hoods, they are different thicknesses. Both are made by Henderson and have the fire fleece inside which is even warmer. The problem I had is that the thinner 3mm one fits perfect with zero issues. So, when I bought the thicker 7mm one I ordered the same size. I should have gone up a size because while it doesn't restrict my reg at all it does put more pressure on my lower jaw and mouth and as soon as I go under it starts to hurt. It is fatiguing to wear. Make sure when you try one on for size that you do so with your reg in your mouth. Also, if it is a thicker {7mm} hood make sure it fits so it is not snug at all. You want it to be a little bit slack.
Maybe it will stretch out and be okay, but I cant stand to wear it long enough to get it to stretch. Many people have told me that wet suits will stretch some and fit better after you have worn them some, but I have not found this to be true unless it takes a lot longer than what I have worn them...several months on the my new suits.
As to the bib part...if you are diving in water cold enough to warrant a hood you will get cold when that water hits your neck. You definitely want a bib tucked into your wet suit. If you try one without the bib and the cold water doesn't bother you then you probably didn't need the hood anyways.

Go for a 3mm bibless (drysuit) hood.

If it doesn't have a hole on top for venting, you can heat up a coat hanger and poke it through.

Vent through 3 hoods before I found one that fits and does not hurt my jaw when diving.
I got a xxl 6mm northern diver.

Done both wetsuit and drysuit and use the same hood for both. In theory I should use a bib one for wet but I am warm enough with bibless.

Unless you know the fit I would always try it on before buying as they all fit differently. Make sure it fits with a reg in your mouth - my first one was ok without but got a bit tiring after a while when I was using a reg. Second hood fits better and doesn't have the same squeeze on my jaw.

Make sure you get one with a vent (or make a vent in it with a heated nail etc otherwise you will look like a conehead when air is trapped in it.

Most hoods will have a section that you can trim to fit your jaw and mask. It is a lot easier putting your mask on when you know the hood isn't in the way than trying to tuck the mask skirt under a badly fitting hood. The other area to watch is your chin - make sure that it is trimmed in such a way that it doesn't slide up to your mouth and interfere with your reg. That can be pretty annoying on a longer dive.

If it's cold enough to need a bib, why not just go with a hooded vest? A little more warmth and no bother trying to get the bib tucked in and lying flat.

Back
Top Bottom