Teach me about the hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually dive with out a hood in those temps, but that is just me. I would go to the shop and try them on until you find one that is comfortable and cheap. As was pointed out, venting is a plus. the advantage of a bib is that it restricts the flow of water across the neck. Your body senses the surrounding temperature through skin on the neck (hence the popularity of scarves). A bib will reduce your movement slightly and you may need to adjust your mask strap. When wearing it you have to make sure the hood doesn't interfere with the mask skirt. I would suggest cheap with a good fit and trim it if necessary.

If it's cold enough to need a bib, why not just go with a hooded vest? A little more warmth and no bother trying to get the bib tucked in and lying flat.
I have a hooded vest and they are even better, but may be over kill for these temps. If you have a close fitting wet suit they may start to feel restrictive around the chest.

Personally I’m a fan of the hooded vest, I use a 2/3mm under my 7mm. If I need thicker I just go dry.

One thing I did not see mentioned; as you first descend wearing a hood, you need to let water in your ear canals. If you leave air trapped between your ears and hood, you could be fine for a bit, but if water enters at depth, you will not be able to equalize.

For moderately cool waters, a thin hood which is not excessively tight should be comfortable and improve thermal performance a lot. We offer hoods as well as freedive type suits that incorporate an integrated hood. These hoods have smooth rubber on the inside and seal extremely well around the face. Very little or no water gets in.

A hood which allows no water in will tend to seal over the ear canal trapping a bubble in the external ear canal.

It is essential to pull the face seal away a little to allow some water in or the diver will experience an external ear squeeze.

Most scuba hoods with a nylon lining will seep enough water to negate this effect.

Something to consider if you've not worn a tight sealing hood.

Also we offer and recommend hoods with a good Bibb that can be tucked into the suit. If the water is really warm, you are not worried about the neck getting cold, then 60 seconds with a scissors will allow you to remove the Bibb or collar completely.

Last edited:
make sure it fits so it is not snug at all. You want it to be a little bit slack.
Let me be diplomatic and just say that that depends on whether or not you want full performance from our hood. Just like a wetsuit, the slacker the hood is, the more water will circulate under it and increase your heat loss.

If you want maximum performance from your hood, it should be snug, to the limit of discomfort.

As others have mentioned, I will 2nd a hooded vest over a hood. I don’t own a hood because I opt for something with attached hoods when I do cold water diving (8/7 semi dry in Northern California brrrrrr). You could
pop the hooded vest over a 3, 5, or 7mm. It is also good for travel since it provides you with extra warmth around your core as well, especially after back to back days of diving or on the sites with slightly cooler temps. There are more uses for this rather than just a straight hood for me so that’s why I never bought one.

You may find you don't need a hood for those temps, but a 3mm should be sufficient. I have a Fourth Element 3mm bibless which I just tuck under my 8-6-5mm wetsuit collar. I didn't notice any water flushing around the neck and have been toasty down to my coldest dive so far of 16degrees C (61F).

As others have said, try a few on before you buy. A too tight hood will squeeze your skull and too loose wont be effective - remember the storey of Goldie Locks & the 3 bears!

These hoods have smooth rubber on the inside and seal extremely well around the face. Very little or no water gets in.

A hood which allows no water in will tend to seal over the ear canal trapping a bubble in the external ear canal.

It is essential to pull the face seal away a little to allow some water in or the diver will experience an external ear squeeze.

Most scuba hoods with a nylon lining will seep enough water to negate this effect.

Yes! I found this out the hard way! The FE hoods have a glideskin lining which is great for ease of donning & doffing and creating a good seal around the face, but I gave myself middle-ear barotrauma (reverse block) by not pulling the seal away whilst at the surface to let water in around my ears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom