Teach me about the hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to keep rocking the boat here and say that I have no use for a hood without a bib.

I always use a hood, even in Bonaire (yes, Bonaire. It has earned me the nickname "ninja diver" among my dive buddies) and even in those temperatures I can tell a difference in comfort and performance between a hood with and without a bib, and the bib just wins on all counts.

My non-bib hood stays in the closet.

Thought I'd report in, as the OP of this thread, that the water temps in the Sea of Cortez/Pacific ranged from 72-77º F while there in January. Probably would have been okay without any head protection as few times as I wound up diving, but can say I never had any thoughts about my head being cold. Actually the shock of entering the water each dive made me forget all about my head! After all of the great advice provided in this thread, I opted for the Aqua Lung Hot Head 3mm hood. For me it worked fine as I wore it over my mask strap. My buddy, who also got the same hood, and has a thick beard, found that wearing his mask over the hood worked best for him.

UDRHHH.jpg.png

i wear a hood to protect my ears from oceanic trigger fish that hate me....they like to nibble / bite divers ears when on decompression....

I always wear a hood--bibbed one 'cause that's what I have. In warmer water (60) I don't bother tucking it in. Colder yes. I wear it even in 70+ water, not for warmth, but for keeping water from going DEEP into my ears (some will get in a bit). When I was in Panama I just used a swimmer's cap pulled down over my ears (a little tight, but did the job).
As far as teaching you about the hood, I grew up in NY. Watcha back Jack.

Just don't put it on backwards!

I always tuck my hood inside my wetsuit. Wear one even in semi-tropical waters.

I wear it even in 70+ water, not for warmth, but for keeping water from going DEEP into my ears
Yeah, me too. I've found the only time I experience vertigo is when water gets in an ear. Always wear a hood.

Yeah, me too. I've found the only time I experience vertigo is when water gets in an ear. Always wear a hood.
When snorkeling I used the pro plugs, which seem to do exactly the same job as the hood. Can't use both at once as the hood tends to dislodge the plugs.

I am going to keep rocking the boat here and say that I have no use for a hood without a bib.

I always use a hood, even in Bonaire (yes, Bonaire. It has earned me the nickname "ninja diver" among my dive buddies) and even in those temperatures I can tell a difference in comfort and performance between a hood with and without a bib, and the bib just wins on all counts.

My non-bib hood stays in the closet.
I refuse to wear any hood unless it gets too cold...then kt.ks a non bibbed so that my shoulders ate not as restricted.

Back
Top Bottom