tech fins for foot heavy people???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jbell8289

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm in the hunt for a fin that is well suitable for frog kicks and modified flutter kicks, like a jet fin, that is not heavy. Right now i currently dive a hog style bp/w so my buoyancy and trim is pretty good but if i get horizontal and sit there without moving, my feet slowly turn me to a more vertical position. I currently use oceanic viper fins, which are not too heavy but are not really great at frog kicks b/c they are a little long. All of the tech style fins that i have looked at (jets, turtles, HOG, hollis F1...) are much heavier and i feel would make the problem worse.

so does anyone know of a fin that is similar in style and function but weighs less??

I'm in the hunt for a fin that is well suitable for frog kicks and modified flutter kicks, like a jet fin, that is not heavy. Right now i currently dive a hog style bp/w so my buoyancy and trim is pretty good but if i get horizontal and sit there without moving, my feet slowly turn me to a more vertical position. I currently use oceanic viper fins, which are not too heavy but are not really great at frog kicks b/c they are a little long. All of the tech style fins that i have looked at (jets, turtles, HOG, hollis F1...) are much heavier and i feel would make the problem worse.

so does anyone know of a fin that is similar in style and function but weighs less??

Have you tried to moving your tank/weights further north to alleviate the issue? (eg - maybe your fins are the VICTIMS of your weighting/trim being off, as opposed to the cause.)

That said, OMS Slipstreams are a bit lighter than Jets. However, they're not as stiff. Everything's a trade off.

The DiveRite EXP fins seem like an option too; not sure about their weight, but I'd bet they are lighter than Jets.

dive%20rite%20expfins.jpg

I just bought a set of the Dive Rite fins. I'm liking them a lot. They are quite a bit lighter than Jets, both in and out of the water.

In order to preform advanced propulsion techniques efficiently you need torque. I have found that Jet & Turtles preform the best. Hollis F1's are pretty close but still not as stiff. What you need to do is stop over thinking it, get into the Tec Fins and then start putting the time in! You need to learn to control your body & not let your body control you! A couple of key ingredients: Arms out, head up, crunch butt cheeks, bend knees, bring ankles toward your butt and point toes. It will take some work now, but if you put the time in, it will become second nature!

I just bought a set of the Dive Rite fins. I'm liking them a lot. They are quite a bit lighter than Jets, both in and out of the water.

Thinking about trying them out for travel fins.

Hey Wayne - maybe Pete can send you a pair I could try in the pool?

I got to try them for two days in the caves in Florida. The third day, I went back to the Jets, and I could clearly see how much less power I got from them. (My ankle didn't get as sore, though . . . )

I got to try them for two days in the caves in Florida. The third day, I went back to the Jets, and I could clearly see how much less power I got from them. (My ankle didn't get as sore, though . . . )

Which "them" did you get less power from? I'm assuming you mean that with the switch back to Jets you realized that the DR's gave less power?

Guess I'll need to keep lugging my Jets around...

:cool2:

I used some DiveRite fins and liked them. They felt like bigger, stiffer versions of my Mares Avanti X3s. Both feel very light, perhaps a little too light for me.

In the fundies class that I recently took, I found that a lot of my trim issues were somewhat complex. You might want to have someone look at your trim to see if you're diagnosing the problem correctly.

yeah i figured id get some comments about my trim and buoyancy skills which ill admit probably need some work :wink: .....but i do know based on my competitive swimming days that i do have a hard time keeping my lower half above water despite having rather skinny legs...and i do think a light fin would make things easier, i haven't looked at the dive rite fins but i have heard that they are lighter but the new versions are out of my price range....maybe i can find some of the older models on the board for sale :wink:

and as for my weighting i use two 5lbs on my top cam band so my weight is about as high as i can get it....im fixin to get a steel 119 though so maybe that will help some as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom