Tech Instructor & Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would seem to me that training on how to put together doubles usualy taught in a technical dive class would be a prerequisat to owning a set of doubles.

Hello

Beleave me, most Technical divers don't even dive well, its there ability to pass all the exams and fork over the large amount of money to the instructor trainer that gets them there certs and lets face it, if you can pass advanced nitrox and deco procedures the rest is all just dives, speaches. I'm not suprised your instructor didn't know how to hook up doubles, imagine how he would react in an emergency situation at depth. Warning Warning stay clear.

HIDBOY:grrr:

PA/NJdiver once bubbled...
This past weekend I found out that a TDI instructor I know did not know how to set up a set of doubles. He can teach advance nitrox, stage decompression, trimix and dolphin rebreather, but he didn't know how to set up doubles. I don't understand how he can teach all of these classes but not know how to set up doubles. How common is this?
Stacey
Could you be a bit more precise?
I note with interest the enthusiastic stone throwing you've generated with this post, but "setting up a set of doubles" could mean one or many of a positively vast array of knowledge/procedure. Do you mean assembling a set of doubles from tanks/bands/valves/manifold? Do you mean mounting 'em properly? Hose routing? Post selection? Please share the specific deficiency you're referring to so we can really understand the problem.
Thanks,
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Could you be a bit more precise?
I note with interest the enthusiastic stone throwing you've generated with this post, but "setting up a set of doubles" could mean one or many of a positively vast array of knowledge/procedure. Do you mean assembling a set of doubles from tanks/bands/valves/manifold? Do you mean mounting 'em properly? Hose routing? Post selection? Please share the specific deficiency you're referring to so we can really understand the problem.
Thanks,
Rick

Gee....and I was getting ready to pick up a boulder :eyebrow:
I'll hold off.......

RiverRat:
Gee....and I was getting ready to pick up a boulder :eyebrow:
I'll hold off.......

Hey RR,
Who ya gonna throw a boulder at :06: This thread is more than a year and a half old :wink:

This has become a issue with many of my students. They learn quickly that it is not about the card it's about the training and developing the skills. I don't mind taking the time .

PA/NJdiver:
This past weekend I found out that a TDI instructor I know did not know how to set up a set of doubles. He can teach advance nitrox, stage decompression, trimix and dolphin rebreather, but he didn't know how to set up doubles. I don't understand how he can teach all of these classes but not know how to set up doubles. How common is this?

Stacey
i, know an Instructor who,s done all his TDI TEC Instructor Ratings in a Weeks course!!!! Or have a look at the Pro Dive or else Agencies who,s taking a non diver to MSTD with twelve or more Specialties in a couple of months and since they do all the "learning" in the same Facility,an OW Instructor is required to have only 60 dives on his belt to be certified OW Scuba Instructor,if he does all the courses in an IDC career developement center,thats scary ****.Peace :wink:

PA/NJdiver:

Stacey

In the early 90's when TDI was just getting a foothold (in Canada), they were giving away instructor ratings to anyone with any pre-existing instructor rating from any diving agency. Its one way to quickly get exposure/coverage. In itself, perhaps not that unusual, but; I recall seeing some equivalency requisites and it went something like:

if you are a current aow inst. you will be granted TDI Deep Diver, TDI Wreck Diver, TDI ......... Please don't quote me, I am just giving an example. I do NOT recall the actual criteria. Instructor materials can be acquired by anyone.

jbd:
Hey RR,
Who ya gonna throw a boulder at :06: This thread is more than a year and a half old :wink:

:11: Crap! I did it again! I did this on another thread and it magically came to life again. I thought I pulled this outta the New Posts list? Wonder if anyone else has done this. Or I gotta stop cruising this thing when it's real late at night....almost like I'm narced.............. :06:
And you see I brought this back from the dead to........

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom