Tech Instructor & Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RiverRat:
:11: Crap! I did it again! I did this on another thread and it magically came to life again. I thought I pulled this outta the New Posts list? Wonder if anyone else has done this. Or I gotta stop cruising this thing when it's real late at night....almost like I'm narced.............. :06:
And you see I brought this back from the dead to........

From his narcedness River Rat beheld the dead thread and said," This is a good thread, I shall bring it back from the dead" And thus he applied is fingers to the dead thread and at once it was risen from the dead :wink:

alemaozinho:
i, know an Instructor who,s done all his TDI TEC Instructor Ratings in a Weeks course!!!! Or have a look at the Pro Dive or else Agencies who,s taking a non diver to MSTD with twelve or more Specialties in a couple of months and since they do all the "learning" in the same Facility,an OW Instructor is required to have only 60 dives on his belt to be certified OW Scuba Instructor,if he does all the courses in an IDC career developement center,thats scary ****.Peace :wink:

Correction:
requirement for DM is 60 dives, Instructor 100 dives, and think that 100 dives is to low.

Couple of months?
It can be done in 6 weeks, from never having been in the water to DM.
Only 3800£...

Just look at this:
Divemaster Fast-track - 6 weeks Egypt Diving, 26 September 2004

http://www.flyingfishonline.com/frames.asp
Go to diving...

Not really wanting to add fuel to a fire that died over a year ago... but:

I'd say "setting up doubles" has about the same about of relevance to technical diving as servicing a 1st stage. Okay, a lot of technical divers can service a 1st stage, but it's not really a pre-requisite to be able to dive a twinset. In-water skills are about a million times more important. Once the doubles are assembled, so long as you know how to take care of them properly what does it matter?

Also, hose routing and gear config is a personal thing and if someone I was diving with didn't have exactly the same hose routing as me, I'm not about to tell him he's going to die.

Now, if by "set up" you mean he didn't know which reg went where .. that's a different problem.

TX101:

I'd say "setting up doubles" has about the same about of relevance to technical diving...

sorry, strongly dissagree. Being competitent in all aspects of gear set-up is IMO crucial for a tech instructor. In this case, any experienced tech diver should know how to set-up and adjust all the components in use for their dives. A proper Tech diving mind-set would have the diver instinctively seeking out this knowledge, skill and comprehension. N'cest pas?

msandler:
sorry, strongly dissagree. Being competitent in all aspects of gear set-up is IMO crucial for a tech instructor.

Yeah, because let's face it.. when you accidently loose half your deco gas due to a freeflow and you need to readjust your deco schedule while shooting a bag to do drift deco because you have lost the upline due to bad vis, knowing how your doubles go together is important.

as an educator one should be able to offer a students explanations/instruction of relevance. That is a minimum. If you don't mind your instructor not having at least the experience non-instructing technical divers, thats fine by me. I guess it IS less important for an "adv. nitrox" inst. to know certain skills than it is for an inst. who teaches at higher levels.

msandler:
as an educator one should be able to offer a students explanations/instruction of relevance. That is a minimum. If you don't mind your instructor not having at least the experience non-instructing technical divers, thats fine by me. I guess it IS less important for an "adv. nitrox" inst. to know certain skills than it is for an inst. who teaches at higher levels.

Are you picking on my qualifications?

All I'm saying is:
------------
If I had to make a list (in order of importance) of skills I deem important to a technical diver, how to assemble doubles would be WAY down the list, right near the bottom.
------------

What I think you're saying is that skill in assembling doubles is an indication of how good an instructor is. What I'm saying is that let's forget indications and lets assess the instructor in the water.

TX101:

I'd say "setting up doubles" has about the same about of relevance to technical diving as servicing a 1st stage. Okay, a lot of technical divers can service a 1st stage, but it's not really a pre-requisite to be able to dive a twinset. In-water skills are about a million times more important. Once the doubles are assembled, so long as you know how to take care of them properly what does it matter?

Also, hose routing and gear config is a personal thing and if someone I was diving with didn't have exactly the same hose routing as me, I'm not about to tell him he's going to die.

Now, if by "set up" you mean he didn't know which reg went where .. that's a different problem.

Being able to assemble a set of doubles may not be ver important once you get in the water but around here (and in a lot of other places) you aren't going to start a technical dive if you can't slap a set of doubles together because there sure isn't any shops that can do it for you.

I'd be very suspicious of any tech instructor who couldn't assemble doubles, service a reg and mix gas. There's a good chance that it means they just haven't done much technical diving.

I don't even know many technical divers who could afford to have some one service all their tanks, regs and mix their gas. I could just about buy a new car with what that would cost for a years service. LOL

TX101:
------------
If I had to make a list (in order of importance) of skills I deem important to a technical diver, how to assemble doubles would be WAY down the list, right near the bottom.
------------

Yup, I guess it is usefull to know, but its not really a thing you need to do on a regular basis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom