The Authorities Took My Salvage –AGAIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
is it likely you'll be able to get DNA out of the blood?

(this is starting to get almost as good as an episode of CSI...)

"?"
Not my case. Where's the camera?

Gary D.

I saw the gun tonight and the amount of blood still on it is amazing. At first we thought it was dirt but it wasn't.

The dick on the case has ID the owner who is from one of the eastern "A" states roughly 2500 miles from here. Now to track him down.

Interesting

Gary D.

Though not a diving story, but since water is involved, I'll share this with the board.

During one spring thaw some 25 years ago, I found my basement flooded. So I spent the next day going through boxes trying to salvage what I could. I came across a box of WWI artifacts that my mother-in-law gave us. It included stuff from her fathers service in the war to end all wars. Spurs, uniform, helmet and a hand grenade. I know something about grenades, and I knew this wasn't a practice grenade. Like a moron, I put it in the trunk of my car and drove off to the state police. I told them I had a grenade in my car and asked if they wanted it. After the room cleared, I heard a voice say "call the army depot". I left with the grenade still in my car. Got home, called the army depot, described what I had and they said they'ed be right out. About an hour later a jeep pulls up. A sgt. riding shotgun, looked at the grenade and he started to stammer. I offered to duct tape the handle if he wanted to take it. He said that a percentage of these puppies were duds, and if that turned out to be the case they would call and let me know I could come and get it. I'm still waiting on the call.

Oh, as a side note, my mother-in-law was very upset that I "gave away" the grenade!

WE find a lot of unexploded Civil War ordnance...shells, cannon balls, etc. Fortunately we have an EOD office attached to the Marine Corps air station here. The EOD guys are great. They'll pick up anything you report, drill it and return it to you with a letter stating it's been disarmed. Same goes for obviously stolen and dumped stuff. We found about a half dozen pewter tankards, basically the measuring devices used in England in the pubs during the 17th and 18th century. They were marked in "Gills" and were stamped with the king of England (GR) and the queen (VR)...we turned them over to the deputies, they kept them about a year and returned them to us when no-one claimed them or reported them missing.

Rick Inman:
The first time it was the Air Force Bomb Squad (http://www.scubaboard.com/t35209-.html), the next time it was the FBI (http://www.scubaboard.com/t41290-.html). Today it was the Idaho Kooteani County Sheriffs Department.

Tony & I were diving Higgen’s Point this morning. Water temp was 48f. The shore line slopes down quickly and soon we were at 93 feet. There was nothing down there but silt, and the vis dropped to about 2 feet, so we headed back up to 70’ where the water cleared to about 12’ vis and there were rocks and stuff. We slowly cruised up to about 30’ where there were nice big schools of spawning Kokanee Salmon. While we were watching the activity, I signaled an OOA and we did the drill.
After about 30mins we started back toward the launch, moving slowly up to 15’. That’s when I saw the bag. I don’t know what the attraction is, but for some reason people like to fill the bottom of plastic grocery bags with rocks and toss ‘em in the lake. I always check them, but never find anything. This one was at about 20’, so I swam down and opened it. Inside the bag was a white hand towel, and wrapped inside the towel was a Beretta .38 SS handgun. Nice!
I showed Tony and he gave me the Ok sign.
Once on the surface, I called Gary D. (him being a local Sheriff and all) and asked him what to do with it. I told him where I found it.
“Dumb :censored: ”, he said. “If he’d tossed it another 10 feet out it would be lost in the silt forever.”
I asked Gary if I should take to the Sheriff's station, He said, “No. Just dial 911 and they’ll come and get it from you.”
I dialed 911 and they told me to bring it to the Sheriff’s station. There was some kind of class going on, so when I got there one of the Sheriffs came out. He took the gun and my info.
“I’m a Friend of Gary D.” I told him. He eyeballed me suspiciously, knowing that the only friend of a cop is another cop. I thought he might tell me what a nice guy Gary is, or what a fine officer he is.
“Guys’ quite a character,” he said. “He sure likes to dive.”
I agreed on both counts. I won’t mention the officer’s name (Sean).

Anyway, that’s my gun story. Last week I found a 44” Scubapro spear gun in the same lake, so I’m 2 for 3 dives finding weapons here.

Who else has found firearms while diving?

A buddy of mine found a pistol once too. The RCMP were happy to have it.

R..

Gary D.:
I saw the gun tonight and the amount of blood still on it is amazing. At first we thought it was dirt but it wasn't.

The dick on the case has ID the owner who is from one of the eastern "A" states roughly 2500 miles from here. Now to track him down.

Interesting

Gary D.
Funny, I never even noticed the blood. And I never touched it with anything except dry gloves - and not much at that. Mostly just unrolled it in the towel. Keep us posted with whatever info you are allowed to!

Rick Inman:
Funny, I never even noticed the blood. And I never touched it with anything except dry gloves - and not much at that. Mostly just unrolled it in the towel. Keep us posted with whatever info you are allowed to!
Here it is. What looks like caked on dirt is blood.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/11966/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Our time frame is from December 2000 to now.

Info on the owner. DL has expired, No known address after 12/00, No military record yet and they are working on the $$ end now. It's like he vanished after 12/00.

Gary D.

I was with Rick when he found the piece - he finds all kinds of freaky stuff, makes me wonder if I am diving with the right buddy!!??

T Razz:
I was with Rick when he found the piece - he finds all kinds of freaky stuff, makes me wonder if I am diving with the right buddy!!??
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom